View topic - Prairie Creek Mine to Proceed?

It is currently March 18th, 2024, 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 9th, 2011, 1:28 pm 

In today's news:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2 ... roval.html

jmc

PostPosted: December 10th, 2011, 12:03 pm 

Have been following this for a few years, it is really sad news. I figured it was going to go through when the conservatives announced the "extended" protected area except for the tiny patch where the mine is... makes for good press that they are for the environment, general public sees only the good news.

In Canada we are in the dark ages of river and environmental protection and the big enviro groups where quiet during the election, sad, the dollar is god with no vision for the future.

What this tells me as a paddler and a concerned individual that none of our rivers and wild areas are safe.

Hopefully the enviro groups will get their act together and come out fighting.
We need some leadership here.
Pretty sad news in the season of hope. :cry:
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho

PostPosted: December 11th, 2011, 8:05 am 

"Two board members said not enough weight was given to aboriginal concerns about water quality. They added that the majority who ruled in favour of the mine relied too heavily on company promises that weren’t backed up by solid plans.

"The majority report provides no mandatory framework to ensure that any of these commitments will be undertaken," they wrote. "In the absence of such uncertainty, we find ourselves unable to agree that significant impacts from this development will be avoided and are unlikely."

Prairie Creek flows into the Nahanni River, one of Canada’s most scenic wilderness rivers and a global destination for canoeists. The area is prime habitat for Dall sheep, woodland caribou and grizzly bears.

UNESCO declared the area a world heritage site in 1978.

Much of the bedrock under the land is highly permeable, which makes it vulnerable to any type of spill or contamination."

I am still trying to figure out how this can happen, as Jedi said nothing will be safe. This is a huge step backwards.

"The project will now go before the Mackenzie Valley Land and Water Board for specific construction permits and before federal Northern Affairs Minister John Duncan and cabinet for final approval.

The mine property was surrounded by the Nahanni National Park Reserve when it was expanded by then-environment minister Jim Prentice in 2009."

I am hoping that the process will allow for some thought and a little common sense to stop this.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2011, 5:26 pm 

Well I am not going to hold my breath after this incident today.
It just shows you the mind set of those in control.
http://news.sympatico.ctv.ca/home/attaw ... t/854ea2bf
And this was a shocker.
Quote:
"She says that's a lie," Oliver said. "She did agree to everything else you said but did not agree to work with the third-party manager. We have a serious conflict here."

Then Duncan said, "We talked to her within the last hour."

To which, Oliver replied, "We talked to her 10 minutes ago."

The minister concluded: "The reality is the third-party manager is in place."

:evil: :evil: :evil:

There will be no more gun registry but they are going to spend a lot of $$$$ watching who goes shopping in the States you evil shoppers..
And if someone wants to go along those line lets start in off topic,
this was just another example of......
Jeff

Choosing to save a river is more often an act of passion than of careful calculation. You make the choice because the river has touched your life in an intimate and irreversible way, because you are unwilling to accept its loss. — (David Bolling, Ho