Advertising

View topic - Is this THE techno SPOT with a GPS and text message capable?

It is currently September 2nd, 2014, 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is this THE techno SPOT with a GPS and text message capable?
PostPosted: October 21st, 2010, 1:33 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

The software that comes with it is the new DeLorme Topo 9 North America - the maps are 1:50,000 or better. There is much more information on it here: http://www.software-maps.com/delorme-to ... Kgod61lNLw & here: http://www.digital-topo-maps.com/delorme-demo.shtml

Another feature that I like is that it has a 3 axis compass & it takes a regular SD card - up to 32 Gig, I think.

You need the regular SPOT subscription & for the custom text messages there is an additional charge as follows:

$49.99 USD
500 Msgs

$29.99 USD
100 Msgs

$0.50 USD
Individual Msgs

PostPosted: November 26th, 2010, 12:40 am 

I picked up the DeLorme PN60w-Spot package the other day for US$370 on sale at REI here. That's a good deal since the PN60 by itself still goes for US$400.

I haven't had time to turn it on and play with it yet, but it does have a Canada map CD in the box. There are five discs, and one in Topo 9.0 Canada. I believe that the scale in the US is 1:24k and Canada is 1:50k. I'll come back with a review in a few weeks once I get it out to the field.

One thing to note for current Spot owners: looks like they will make you open a new account for this new device. Doesn't look like you can "roll over" your old subscription to this device. Doesn't apply to me, but may be noteworthy for others.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2010, 9:19 am 
CCR Site Administrator

I have used my new Delorme-SPOT a little now. I find the Delorme Canadian maps are not nearly as detailed as the Mapsource maps - for example many of the small lakes & swamps that were marked in Mapsource were not marked in the Delorme maps where I was hiking. However, I think the contour lines seem to be very good.

And I do already have a SPOT account with my older SPOT - so I haven't hurried to activate my new one....I haven't needed it yet as I suspected they might not roll over my subscription.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2010, 9:43 am 

One of the features I need on GPS is the ability to tack the whole journey, even if it is 2 months of continuous moving (combining tack & date/time stamp of the photo gives me the exact location of where each photo was taken). I wonder whether tracking is properly supported on Delorme.

My current Garmin GPS 76 CSx, on the original firmware, there is one current track which fills in about 4-5 days of travelling. User can then save it into the track logs, clean the current track and continue tracking, however, saving into the track log removes the date/time stamp of each point, probably in order to save space. That makes track log useless for location stamping of photos. Garmin must have heard from many unhappy customers, so they introduced new option/feature in the next version of firmware where user can set direct recording of the track, including the date/time stamp, on the memory card. And that is working like a charm.

I wonder, is it possible to save track including the date/time stamp directly to the micro SD on Delorme?

PostPosted: November 26th, 2010, 12:51 pm 

I have the same Garmin 76csx
If I keep it turned on all day as a tracker, does any have a good idea of battery longevity in hours? Alkaline or Lithium? Has anyone had any luck using rechargeables in either in a GPS or SPOT? I was hoping to use a solar recharger.

I wonder if there is much of a difference in battery usage between a mapping GPS on tracking and a SPOT on tracking? I was thinking that the GPS might last longer as it is only storing not transmitting all the time.

Thanks, Ted

PostPosted: November 26th, 2010, 1:27 pm 

GPS 76CSx keeps working 4-6 days 6-8 hours per day on Lithium batteries.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2010, 3:05 pm 

Ted wrote:
I have the same Garmin 76csx
If I keep it turned on all day as a tracker, does any have a good idea of battery longevity in hours? Alkaline or Lithium? Has anyone had any luck using rechargeables in either in a GPS or SPOT? I was hoping to use a solar recharger.

I wonder if there is much of a difference in battery usage between a mapping GPS on tracking and a SPOT on tracking? I was thinking that the GPS might last longer as it is only storing not transmitting all the time.

Thanks, Ted

Ted;
We have used an original Spot for 15 days,using tracking function for 12 of those days (approx 6h/day),same batteries. No idea how much reserve was left.

Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M Twai

PostPosted: November 26th, 2010, 3:36 pm 

I have the Garmin Vista Cx (4 years old), it saves the tracking (15 second interval) info to the SD on a daily basis. I used only 4 sets of Advanced Lithium (not the best lithiums) over a 32 day period averaging close to 8 hours per day (I use the illuminated screen very little).

I was getting only two days (or less) with "good" alkalines and maybe 3 - 4 days with NiMh (2500 Mah) rechargables

As for a spot, the original set of Extreme Lithiums that came with it lasted for about 70 days (8 hours), before the low battery indicator flashed, I used it for another week or so after that and am only on the second set (Advanced not Extreme) now after another 30 days or so.

I did just get a Brunton solar panel and power pack which I plan to use to recharge headlamp , camera, MP3 player and emergency back-up for the Sat phone. I think I'll stick with the Lithiums for other "essential" devices like GPS & SPOT.

I just received my Inmarsat phone yesterday, first look out of the box, seems a bit flimsy compared to the Globalstar/Irridium handsets but it's also considerably lighter. Since I expect that I will keep in in the pelican case 99.9% of the time the sturdiness isn't a big concern. I have not activated or tested the phone at all yet but when I get around to it I'll post in the other thread.

I sort of like the idea of the combined GSP/SPOT but on the other hand my SPOT is carried in my PFD pocket and is only taken out at the start and end of the day to send an OK signal. I have the GPS out (in the map case on the deck) to monitor location and progress much of the time, There's a much greater chance it could get lost in an upset and I wouldn't want that to happen to the SPOT which in my mind is the device to have when you have lost everything else. It's the one downside to these multi-function devices, if you get separated from the device or it has a failure you are left with nothing.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2010, 4:46 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

Wolverine wrote:

I wonder, is it possible to save track including the date/time stamp directly to the micro SD on Delorme?

Yes, that's exactly what I did on my first hike with the Delorme - went to Sheffield CA & saved the entire hike (4-5 hrs.) on the SD card, put it in Mapsource format, opened it in Mapsource & all the info is there, including exact time for every track point.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2010, 6:16 pm 

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I did on my first hike with the Delorme

Just want to really clarify this for both Wolverine and myself.......

On my Garmin you can save up to 20 tracks but the unit also automatically saves all track data every 24 hours (exactly at midnight) and this is unlimited storage at least unlimited to the available space on the SD card. In practice this means you can save thousands of days of tracking since the files are very small. On the other hand the 20 tracks it normally saves are only are only to the built in RAM and once you get to 20 that's it (although each saved track could be for multiple days).

The tracks saved to disc are .gpx format and must be copied from the SD card to load in Mapsource, they do not download in the normal way that the basic tracks do when you connect the gps to your computer.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2010, 11:29 am 

recped wrote:
I sort of like the idea of the combined GSP/SPOT but on the other hand my SPOT is carried in my PFD pocket and is only taken out at the start and end of the day to send an OK signal. I have the GPS out (in the map case on the deck) to monitor location and progress much of the time.

The package that we're discussing is still two separate units. The GPS and the Spot connect to one another wirelessly, so that you can type text messages on the GPS, and send them via Spot. But you still have a Spot unit to keep in your PFD, and a GPS unit to keep in hand/in a pack.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2010, 1:15 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

Quote:
The package that we' re discussing is still two separate units. The GPS and the Spot connect to one another wirelessly, so that you can type text messages on the GPS, and send them via Spot. But you still have a Spot unit to keep in your PFD, and a GPS unit to keep in hand/in a pack.

Actually, Recped is mostly correct that you would need both units to be able to use most of the SPOT functions - this little SPOT unit has indicator lights but no buttons for most of the functions. However, it does have an SOS (the old 911) button on the side of the SPOT unit (which is protected by a rubber flap) so for an all out emergency you could use just the SPOT.

There is a pretty good picture of the 2 units here:
http://delorme.spotwarranty.com/

PostPosted: November 30th, 2010, 1:49 pm 

I didn't realize it was two units which worked together....

This leads me to ask, what is the point? what makes this different from a stand alone GPS and a stand alone SPOT?

The SPOT portion is obviously smaller than the original SPOT, maybe smaller than SPOT 2 but other than that???????

And what happens if you lose the GPS part, does the SPOT part still function?

Help me I'm confused.........

PostPosted: November 30th, 2010, 2:13 pm 

:D

GPS is there to give SPOT coordinates & text; SPOT is supposed to send that information out.

The question is whether this tiny SPOT (as a single unit) is able to figure out its location. If it is (and most likely it is), you have 2 GPS units; bit of the redundancy there. I think ideally this would be one unit. On the other hand, you paddle, Delorme GPS attached to the canoe, SPOT to your PDF, monster hole swallows you and eventually spits you out but the canoe is never seen again (maybe only pieces of it); but with that SPOT you are still able to send out SOS, including your coordinates. If it was one unit only, you would either have it attached tight to the PFD or use it on the spraydeck...

PostPosted: November 30th, 2010, 2:45 pm 

A great feature of the SPOT OK message is that it also sends the lat/long as well.

This spring when LittleRedCanoe showed me around the Everglades, she fired off an I'm OK message in the evening at each campsite. My wife got the I'm OK message and she was able to click on the lat/long to pull up Google maps to see where we camped every night. By correlating our position with weather reports, she also knew when we were wind-bound and staying put. There was a SPOT waiting for me when I got home.

Good info from everyone about the longevity of various battery types. Thanks.

Ted

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next