Advertising

View topic - Garmin touchscreen in cold weather?

It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Garmin touchscreen in cold weather?
PostPosted: March 21st, 2011, 9:47 am 

Hi all,

I've decided to upgrade from my aging Geko 201 and am seriously considering the Garmin Dakota 20. I'm attracted to the small size, color screen, custom maps capability and long battery life.

My only concern is whether the touchscreen will be operable in cold weather - say, -20 C.

I know many posters on the forum are also backcountry skiers, so I'm wondering if anyone has any real world experience with the touch screen that would be relevant?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Garmin touchscreen in cold weather?
PostPosted: March 21st, 2011, 3:15 pm 

Ask them how they work with gloves, neoprene paddling gloves specifically.

These new units are nice but I have concerns about the suitability for some activities.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2011, 7:26 pm 

I use my Dakota 20 in the winter for skiing, snowshoeing and geocaching. The rated temperature in the owners manual is minus 15C. The only problem I have had is frozen condensation. Below -15 I try to keep the GPS in side my coat except when checking location/co-ordinates.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2011, 11:34 am 

The Edge800 has worked pretty well with gloves so far. Still haven't had it out in real cold weather yet.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2011, 11:59 am 

Thanks for the tips.

I did pick up a Dakota and really like it. I used it extensively on a trip to Stockholm this spring: not just for kayaking, but also to navigate my way around Stockholm.

Some readers may not be aware of the OpenStreetMaps project. This is a user-editable global street map, organized along the lines of Wikipedia. I've been GPS mapping trails in my area while biking/running/walking/skiing.

You can also download regularly updated Garmin compatible maps for almost anywhere. The Stockholm map I used was incredibly detailed, and we'll be using the Canadian version on a trip to BC.

Of course, this project is less useful for backcountry navigation, but it'll help you navigate roads and streets almost anywhere in Canada.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2011, 5:31 pm 

The screen is virtually useless in bright backgrounds. Its very hard to read with sun reflecting off the snow and also at the beach in bright sun.

I would prefer a non touch screen GPS next time. I found out just after the warranty expired that the 20 is not waterproof.

Be VERY careful that when you change batteries the door is entirely locked and not a little off kilter and that there is not a grain of sand in it. Mine was a little open and had a brief bath in saltwater and that was the end of the card reader.

I got a refurbed one from Garmin for $129. I do like the maps except the basemap is crap and the screen a little too sensitive. Hit it accidentally and you find yourself on another screen.