View topic - My New Algonquin Map - Easier to Use & It Floats!

It is currently December 13th, 2017, 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 13th, 2012, 12:34 am 

Hey everyone!

I've got something really awesome to share with you - my new map :D

Not surprisingly I've made a huge number of changes. The biggest one is the look and feel of the map; I spent over three months choosing, tweaking and perfecting the colour scheme. You'll notice that all of the most important elements like the campsites and portages stick out while the less important elements like historic ranger cabins or fish species fade into the background. There's nothing worse than having to stare at your map for 5 minutes while being blown down Opeongo.

Old:

New:

I've also added spot heights, hunting cabins, rapid classifications, parkbus stop locations, fish sanctuary indicators, provincially significant wetland indications, and more old growth.

And of course there're more campsites and portages have been GPSed, there are more corrections from my observations and the observations of hundreds of Algonquin enthusiasts, there's more fishing data, more data from historic maps, more crown land campsites, more access points and more hiking trails!

But there's more!

The print copies of the new map are going to blow you away. They're crisper and sharper than ever before having been professionally printed and are waterproof, tear resistant and they float. Yes, they float. In fact, it's so awesome I have to show you:

Pretty amazing eh?

I've divided the map into four sections, each 2 by 3 feet for ease of handling - but don't worry, I've made sure that there's lots of overlap between sections so you should only need a single map for most trips (they're only 85g each!)

On the back they include instructions for planning a trip (including avoiding noise and avoiding hills so tall that you don't see the top until 10 minutes in), tips on using the map to make your trip more engaging, and information on building a campfire, on spotting satellites, and on Algonquin's fish and wildlife (including footprints of each species to scale). You really have to take a look at one to understand how useful and engaging that content is :D

So check it out! As always it's a free download. http://algonquinmap.com

I make maps :)

PostPosted: July 13th, 2012, 11:37 am 

Whoops! Thanks for that Barbara. That's what happens when you're posting at 2am!

PostPosted: July 15th, 2012, 7:58 pm 

A review :)

http://www.markinthepark.com/blog_files ... ion-4.html

PostPosted: September 1st, 2012, 4:14 pm 

I ordered the entire set of maps...I could not be happier. Not only are they so easy to read, they float and rain doesn not affect them. I really like all the side notes of places to see and points of interest. It makes for great day trips while out there.

Jeff you did a great job with these. n everyone of my trippin buddies commented on them.

Good Luck with the future maps.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2012, 1:12 pm 

Very nice work. Truly outstanding.

For places like Algonquin, your map will help get canoeist active.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2012, 9:31 pm 

Whoops - I haven't checked up on this thread recently since it wasn't getting many replies.

@mouse6196 - :D glad you like 'em. Let me know if you ever have any comments or corrections - I'm always looking to improve.

@brian - :) thanks. You're too kind!

PostPosted: February 4th, 2013, 10:30 am 

Here's an interview with Jeffrey about his work on the maps and plans for the future.

http://trailswag.ca/blog/2013/1/28/trail-swag-interviews-jeffrey-mcmurtrie

PostPosted: February 4th, 2013, 2:22 pm 

Jeff's work is amazing.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2013, 4:18 pm 

What makes Jeff truly amazing is his constant revisit to the map..Just when you thought ...jeez this map is perfect , he goes and simplifies them and makes them even easier to read.

I have also noticed he is paying close attention to the additional logging that goes on in the park and what logging roads are getting extensions..Often we will hear of "applications to extend roads" but little info when extensions are granted. His maps show both "proposed" and "granted" extensions.

These maps help shape policy.

If we ever had to name people that have helped shape canoeing and help preserve and promote its benefits I would easily nominate Jeff.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2013, 11:15 am 

Come see Jeff at the KW Canoe Symposium on April 13th in Waterloo!

www.kwcanoesymposium.ca

"The way of a canoe is the way of the wilderness, and of a freedom almost forgotten." Sigurd Olson, 1956

PostPosted: February 14th, 2013, 7:44 pm 

Paddle Power wrote:
Jeff's work is amazing.

:D thanks Paddle Power! I'm really glad you like it.

gunnelbob wrote:
What makes Jeff truly amazing is his constant revisit to the map..Just when you thought ...jeez this map is perfect , he goes and simplifies them and makes them even easier to read.

I have also noticed he is paying close attention to the additional logging that goes on in the park and what logging roads are getting extensions..Often we will hear of "applications to extend roads" but little info when extensions are granted. His maps show both "proposed" and "granted" extensions.

These maps help shape policy.

If we ever had to name people that have helped shape canoeing and help preserve and promote its benefits I would easily nominate Jeff.

Hehe, I try my best :). Really though, the map wouldn't be what it is without the thousands of contributions I've gotten from hundreds of canoeists. So, it's not just my effort that makes the map so great.

That said, I must admit that I'm pretty proud of how the map's turned out. It's been a process of constantly learning more, and I really want to push my abilities.

The logging road issues are especially interesting to me because it seems that new roads often flagrantly ignore the rules and regulations in place to limit where they can be constructed. For instance, I've been told that it's fine that a road is tracing the shore of a lake even though roads aren't supposed to be allowed within 30m of a lake because 'It's a crossing so that's okay'. Well no.... not if you don't actually cross anything.

I think it's also important that the public have easy access to this sort of information. It's one thing to post information about proposed roads online at ontario.ca/forestplans, but it's another to put them on something that can be easily picked up off a retail shelf and brought on a trip.