Advertising

View topic - Paper Maps of Chiniguchi area

It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Paper Maps of Chiniguchi area
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2011, 8:48 pm 

Hi,
After a family canoe trip in Killarney I'm heading directly to Chiniguchi for a solo trip around Aug. 20th. Unfortunately, I've mislaid my copy of Hap's book and my canoe maps of Temagami. I've seen the excellent maps and info on Ottertooth, but don't have access to a printer. I'd prefer to purchase decent paper maps. Does anyone know of a sales outlet between Sudbury and the Sportsman's Lodge put-in where I could buy good maps of the canoe routes of the region?
Advice on the routes would be appreciated. I understand that there will be significant canoe and boat traffic in the area.
Martin

Post subject: Re: Paper Maps of Chiniguchi area
PostPosted: August 4th, 2011, 1:35 pm 

George sells topo maps of the area from the lodge and is a wealth of knowledge as well iirc the esso station at Whanapitae( if your bypassing Sudbury to #17 from Killarney) sells topo maps of the area

PostPosted: August 4th, 2011, 3:34 pm 

i custom made a map using http://www.mytopo.com/

They sent it in paper form.. Otherwise the Chiniguichi area would have required more topo maps.. Custom making your own potentially could save you money and maps..its annoying to carry a full sheet when you need one corner.

Another option should be to go to the library and use their computer to print the Ottertooth maps of Chiniguichi. Then run to your office supply store and have them laminated. I was able to fit them into a handy letter size sheets.. no more blowing away of the big map.

Or save the data from your computer on a memory stick and go to the office supply place and have them print and laminate.

PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 9:27 pm 

I tend to buy the guidebook eg, Kevin Callan's or Ottertooth and use the basic map to place campsites and portages on my own custom topo map. http://mapper.acme.com/ has all the topo maps and ctrl + PrtScrn copies the screen image, use an image editing software like, Photoshop, gimp, paint etc to overlay the campsites/routes and vollia, gov issued topo map or sat image or whatever (i think there's like 9 options) with campsites. That's what I did for Chiniguchi... I think I still have the maps kicking around on the hard-drive....

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com