View topic - More Egg questions

It is currently March 26th, 2019, 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2007, 9:28 pm 

I have used the plastic egg carrier for tripping but I use a barrel for my food so crushing by walking or crawling on it is not an issue. Fresh eggs in the morning of the 3rd. or 4th day is great.

Bill

www.friendsoftemagami.org
www.friendsofchiniguchi.com
www.wildernesscleanup.com

Post subject: Re: More Egg questions
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 1:04 pm 

Ok...I decided to resurrect this old thread so the info is all in one place and hopefully to answer some of old questions with an updated article. We always take our hens fresh unrefrigerated eggs on short trips, always have, and always survived despite dire government warnings. :roll: Of course those dire warnings are to be heeded when it comes to factory farm eggs. So support your local organic farmer and have eggs sunny side up this summer! :D

http://www.naturalcuresnotmedicine.com/ ... -eggs.html

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 1:39 pm 

The best idea in this thread is to take a live chicken with you. If it stops making eggs, you can cook the chicken. Plus it would be really cool to have a chicken flitting around the canoe while you paddle. I'm setting up a chicken coop this spring, so I'm looking forward to taking fresh eggs on all my canoe trips this summer.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2014, 12:10 pm 

so after reading through all this there is NO definitive answer to how long its safe to keep fresh eggs on a trip i was considering cracking a dozen into a nalgene to eat a few days into a northern ontarion trip in a few weeks but i can't find a true answer to this problem would powered eggs with salsa scramble up tasty or blah? I've never tried powder eggs before

PostPosted: June 29th, 2014, 2:06 pm 

You are correct. There is no definitive answer.
I have taken up to 3 dozen eggs on four week trips for 2 people.
It was very hot out, up to 42C, at times.
The last egg I cracked open on one occasion was black inside.I did not cook it....obviously. I had gone beyond the maximum time for those conditions.We were on week 3. Because of the uncertainty, I suggest you bring along some extra breakfasts such as oatmeal, pancakes or breakfast bars.
You get a warning as the eggs get pretty runny as they age and you crack them open.
If you are going to take eggs with you, don't crack them open into a Nalgene bottle. Leave them in the shells, in the container you bought them in and keep them in your food barrel.
I have had the most success with Brown eggs, in plastic containers, available in many supermarkets. I then wrap the original container with bubble wrap, tape it with green masking tape and place the whole package into a very large Zip Lock bag in case they break and leak into the food barrel.
Dried eggs taste OK as scrambled eggs made as omelettes, with dried... green peppers, onions mushrooms and various seasonings.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2014, 9:32 pm 

Eggs in original mushy cardboard egg carton, place inside zip lock bag, add a little air, place inside appropriate bag (plastic shopping bag to real dry bag to soft sided "six-pack" cooler bag), stick in the stern end of your boat, extract when necessary.

Unless you can get farm fresh stick with the cheapest (white or brown) eggs, seems to me the shells on the fancy omega whatever eggs are thinner and crack much easier. In theory at least as long as the inner skin of the shell is not punctured even eggs with "dings" should be ok.

I can't really see a situation where one would still have any eggs left when there was any safety concerns, even if there was, well cooked will pretty much take care of anything that isn't so grossly ridiculous you would never be eating them.

A really good breakfast in a bag is the Mountain House Breakfast Skillet (supposed to be eaten as a wrap) if you want to go that route (a little hot sauce perks it up).

PostPosted: June 29th, 2014, 10:09 pm 

Quote:
A really good breakfast in a bag is the Mountain House Breakfast Skillet (supposed to be eaten as a wrap) if you want to go that route (a little hot sauce perks it up).

agreed... maybe a little less tasty after twenty of the little buggers so far this year.. :rofl:

PostPosted: June 29th, 2014, 10:55 pm 

Hi Dr. zoos,

If you insist on fresh eggs, keep the eggs in the shell like others have mentioned. Cracking them open in a nalgene is sorta like placing raw meat into a nalgene. Protein and fat for bacteria to feed on. Or, since eggs are mostly sterile in the shell (but some are not, e.g. salmonella bacteria invade), an analogy might be cooked meat placed hot right out of the pan into nalgene. Unless your nalgene is also sterilized, you are going to into bacterial growth very fast. Home canned preserves use lots of sugar or salt to create a hypertonic solution that kills bacteria or keeps them in stasis. Basically cracking eggs into a nalgene unrefrigerated is asking for food poisoning.

There are two excellent freeze dried egg crystal solutions to fresh eggs that taste like and cook up like real scrambled eggs: OvaEasy Eggs http://www.nutriom.com/#all-natural-egg-crystals OvaEasy are truly amazing . I eat them at home as well as in the bush, they have the same texture and taste as real eggs, because they are real eggs. They will only ship within the USA, so if you have a border store option you can use that.

A company that ships Thrive brand freeze dried egg crystals into Canada is Briden Solutions, http://www.bridensolutions.ca/thrive-meat-dairy#Eggs
Note this is the “scrambled eggs” product, not the dehydrated egg powder. See their website as you have to use the phone for ordering if you are in Canada. There are some other suppliers too that I am not familiar with that other folks use. I have not used this product, but reviews on Youtube indicate that it is comparable to OvaEasy.

These new freeze dried egg crystals last “forever” without refrigeration and cook up perfect every time. Well worth sourcing them out. The older style dehydrated egg powder is do-able for sure, but needs lots of seasoning to be edible, and the new freeze dried egg products are just so much better, and much lighter and more convenient that fresh eggs. In the old days I used those yellow plastic Coghlans fresh egg carriers, and always had "casualties". :D