All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: sour cream powder
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2003, 1:12 am 
Anyone know where to buy it in Canada?
thanks in advance
mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2003, 8:28 pm 

bump, I'd really like to know this as well. You can get a packet of it in Hamburger helper Stroganoff but I'd like to buy it on it's own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2003, 12:41 pm 
Thanks Gail. Hamburger Helper hadn't occured to me, and stroganoff is exactly what I need it for.

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2003, 7:17 pm 

Our local Bulk Barn bulk food store in the mall has Stroganoff powder . Buy it by the gram. Lots of other neat stuff for canoe cooking. Check it out. Your local mall likely has one of these stores. If they are in Owen Sound they just have to be everywhere. :lol:
Stay safe.
OAF

Post subject: Dehydrate Sour Cream?
PostPosted: August 7th, 2003, 7:53 pm 
I am making a recipe for a trip --- and have everything except "powdered sour cream." My local Bulk Barn doesn't have it.

I have a dehydrator. Would that work? (could be great... or sickening....)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2003, 12:02 pm 

I've never tried dehydrating sour cream, the yogurt I've done, however, has not turned into powder but a rubbery chewy treat. I would be very suprised if you could do it to a powder with a regular dehydrator, but I'm not sure.

When I've wanted/needed sour cream, I've taken it fresh - the full fat stuff keeps suprisingly well (just don't freeze it before the trip because you think it will keep longer - it ruined the texture when I tried that). Most of the time, though, if I need it for cooking, I just subsitute non-dairy creamer - this works well for all sorts of things, including making "cream of" packet soups creamy. It doesn't have the tang of sour cream, but it's readily available and cheap.

Johanna

Post subject: dried sour cream
PostPosted: August 8th, 2003, 12:06 pm 

Do a web search, I found several sources in US. One thing I read. They don't dehydrate the cream directly, but spray it in a fine mist and that dries into a powder. Any home experiments would likely make the rubbery, chewy glop that Joanna describes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2003, 12:14 pm 

Sour cream powder is available from adventurefoods.com (they're located in the States) . They are also a very good source for bulk staples, dehydrated and F-D veggies.... and they are very helpful and pleasant to deal with. Sour cream powder, BTW, is remarkably good even reconstituted and used as-is on tacos, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2003, 12:17 pm 

We have looked and looked for sour cream packets in Canada, but can't find them. (even though we have bought them here in the past) So we tried drying our own. Just slap a layer of sour cream on the dehydrator; it works great.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2003, 5:06 pm 

Did you powder it in a food processer or just leave it as leather? How long did it take to re-hydrate?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2003, 5:59 pm 

We just spread a thin layer and dried it for....I dunno, till it looked done. It would best to grind it into a powder when it is done. If not, it doesn't reconstitute all that well, but in a pinch still works well, and adds great flavor.