View topic - Swift Algonquin

It is currently October 17th, 2018, 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Swift Algonquin
PostPosted: May 25th, 2018, 6:31 pm 

I see a Swift Algonquin 16' for sale in interior BC that looks to be in good condition. I have liked the Langford Prospectors that I have tried and was thinking about getting a Novacraft Prospector 16'. The Algonquin looks like it would be a good option, perhaps a bit more tuned for flatwater? I am looking for a family touring boat, lots a flatwater, lots of twisty creeks and running class 1 but not much more.

Any input would be appreciated.

Glen

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-canoe-kayak-pad ... nFlag=true

Post subject: Re: Swift Algonquin
PostPosted: May 26th, 2018, 1:14 pm 

I've not paddled the Algonquin 16, but judging from the mild rocker outlined in the specs, I'd say twisty creeks would be a workout without heeling it over to clear the stems.

Nice looking boat though.

PostPosted: May 26th, 2018, 2:48 pm 

It’s not a workout
There is no standard measurement of rocker
Some designers measure from the stem to floor
David Yost designed the Algonquins
He measures rocker as the change in elevation over the last foot only but you’ll see in person the bottom starts to curve farther toward the middle. That change is not included in the measurement

PostPosted: May 26th, 2018, 3:00 pm 

littleredcanoe wrote:
It’s not a workout
There is no standard measurement of rocker
Some designers measure from the stem to floor
David Yost designed the Algonquins
He measures rocker as the change in elevation over the last foot only but you’ll see in person the bottom starts to curve farther toward the middle. That change is not included in the measurement

Fair 'nuff. I was looking only at the numbers and the photo on the website which shows a pretty flat keel.

http://www.swiftcanoe.com/algonquin-16

PostPosted: May 28th, 2018, 4:27 pm 

Thanks for the replies. I too thought the keel-line looked pretty flat in Swift's website photo.

I'm on the fence on the Algonquin. I like canoes with a balance between decent flatwater speed and good manouverability and I like to be able to paddle heeled over. I've always thought I would prefer a Prospector that is on the slightly narrower and less rockered side. Swift's Prospector looks about right to me although as mentioned it is hard to evaluate rocker specs. Unfortunately I'm not aware of anywhere to test paddle a Swift in BC. Clipper and Novacraft are what are locally available new although I'm not in a rush so I can see what shows up on the used market.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2018, 4:56 pm 

Glen, I think the Algonquin line is indeed a line of versatile family boats. The boat looks to be in great shape. I would be curious to know which lay-up it is...for the price I'd want Kevlar. If you're not looking for the hottest tandem out there it looks like it may fit your needs well. You might call Swift and ask them about it if you have questions. My buddy had the Swift Prospector 15 (I think it has 2 inches of rocker) and we both hated it both tandem and solo. But personally I love the discontinued Swift Otter 15 foot tandem and it is also listed at 1 inch of rocker. Like you I'd be curious to paddle the Swift Prospector 16 with 2 inches of rocker.

https://paddling.com/reviews/product/sw ... -16-canoe/

PostPosted: May 29th, 2018, 9:03 am 

I got one of those for a buddy in FG (60lbs maybe) for $1000 and thought it was a good deal. Got to paddle it this weekend and it is a nice boat. I love those cambered seats that Swift has - they make a pretty huge difference!

PostPosted: May 29th, 2018, 3:44 pm 

daypaddler wrote:
Glen, I think the Algonquin line is indeed a line of versatile family boats. The boat looks to be in great shape. I would be curious to know which lay-up it is...for the price I'd want Kevlar. If you're not looking for the hottest tandem out there it looks like it may fit your needs well. You might call Swift and ask them about it if you have questions. My buddy had the Swift Prospector 15 (I think it has 2 inches of rocker) and we both hated it both tandem and solo. But personally I love the discontinued Swift Otter 15 foot tandem and it is also listed at 1 inch of rocker. Like you I'd be curious to paddle the Swift Prospector 16 with 2 inches of rocker.

https://paddling.com/reviews/product/sw ... -16-canoe/

I'm curious what it was about the Swift Prospector 15 that you didn't like?

PostPosted: May 30th, 2018, 3:47 pm 

I'm curious what it was about the Swift Prospector 15 that you didn't like?[/quote]

I did not like the performance, the boat seemed sluggish both tandem and solo. I imagine that it has exceptional stability, more than I need since I kneel. I don't mean to slam the boat since it may be a perfect fit for others and in general I am a fan of Swift boats. The Bell (now Colden) Starfire is a superb 15 footer in my experience...a fine solo and also quite an exceptional tandem.

PostPosted: May 30th, 2018, 9:34 pm 

If thats got a kevlar layup and it looks like the condition its in ..buy it , thats a good price.

PostPosted: May 31st, 2018, 8:21 am 

daypaddler wrote:
I'm curious what it was about the Swift Prospector 15 that you didn't like?

I did not like the performance, the boat seemed sluggish both tandem and solo. I imagine that it has exceptional stability, more than I need since I kneel. I don't mean to slam the boat since it may be a perfect fit for others and in general I am a fan of Swift boats. The Bell (now Colden) Starfire is a superb 15 footer in my experience...a fine solo and also quite an exceptional tandem.[/quote]

I can see why you would prefer the Starfire over a 15' Prospector.

The Starfire is 2 1/2" narrower at the waterline than the Swift Prospector 15 (30.5" vs 33") so it would be noticeably faster. It's also noteworthy that the Swift Prospector 15 has a 1" wider waterline width than the Swift Prospector 16 (33" vs 32"). The "standard" Prospector was a 16' boat known for it's large volume and great maneuverability on rivers. Prospectors never were about speed.

Trying to maintain the large volume while shortening the boat would have an impact on the "performance balance". Stretching a Prospector to 17' wasn't uncommon, but shortening to 15' and still calling it a Prospector is something I think is relatively new. Chestnut/Peterborough had the Pal as a 15' boat which was a different design from a Prospector.

As a general note, I've consistently found that folks who rent a Prospector for a trip end up complaining about it because while they recognized the Prospector name they didn't understand what they were getting. The common complaint is that "it won't go straight", which is a direct result of the rocker and beautifully rounded hull making it really maneuverable. Of course a Prospector will go straight, but (at least to start with) you have to pay attention to it.

PostPosted: June 5th, 2018, 6:43 pm 

I have the 15ft Algonquin and it is like a more strait Prospector, 36' wide and 15' deep gives it lots of volume and I imagine the 16 would be perfect for a small family.
Without a keel and shallow arc bottom it slides across waves on angles nicely.
I mostly use my Algonquin solo as a second boat since buying a new 17ft.
In Kevlar it would be a nice Lake Tripper, mines FG but still decent weight.
Happy Paddling.