View topic - Souris River Quetico 16

It is currently August 19th, 2018, 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Souris River Quetico 16
PostPosted: June 9th, 2018, 2:15 pm 

Hi. I am thinking of buying this boat. Seller claims it has been used for three trips. It was manufactured in 2015. I am concerned about the scratches and the white spot on the side of the exterior of the boat, near the funnel. Could you please let me know what you think of this boat. The seller is asking $2600. Let me know what you think. Do all Souris River Canoes look like this after a few trips? See pictures by clicking the link below. Thanks.

https://imgur.com/gallery/tfSZKAn

PostPosted: June 9th, 2018, 2:43 pm 

Rather scratched up for three trips. However, there is no structural damage visible and exterior can be resurfaced to hide the scratches. Don't know what you mean by the "white spot" -- is it the big scratched mark near the keel? Hard to say from the photos.

Our club has had several of these boats in service for almost 10 years with no issues. Last year our maintenance person resurfaced them to hide the scratches and they came out looking new. Comments I have heard are that they paddle well when empty, but when fully load the lack of rocker and beamery design makes them much slower than a Prospector.

Price at $800 below retail seems like a fair place to start negotiations.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2018, 2:52 pm 

I agree it is a lot of scratches for a few trips. Is it normal for these types of canoes to scratch so easily? I have cropped the white scuff near the gunnel I was referring to in the image linked below. Also, what is retail price for this boat?

https://imgur.com/gallery/mij008j

PostPosted: June 9th, 2018, 3:07 pm 

Red boats show scratches the worst. It is normal for the scratches to show, but in this case I don't think the owner could claim to have been very careful with it. They don't really scratch "easily", but if you drag over rocks you can count on marking the bottom. Our fleet boats looked a lot better after 10 years -- but they were yellow which doesn't show quite so much.

Retail is about $3400.

PostPosted: June 9th, 2018, 3:18 pm 

Missed the additional photo.

It looks to me like the exterior epoxy layer has been worn right off along one chine. I've never seen this before. It must be quite deep because the all the coloured epoxy seems to be gone.

This was probably caused by rubbing on something, probably during transport. Maybe a strap or something was allowed to rub or flap against the hull for an extended period of time. I would certainly ask how it happened.

It's hard to say if this is a serious problem from a photo. Is the hull softer or easy to deform at that spot? If not, then maybe not a big problem. If it is, then it would affect the price drastically as it will require a repair. Whether you want to take on a repair would be up to you, but this is where you might be able to snag a bargain.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2018, 11:00 am 

I'm a half price man.
New is one thing, used is another.

If this is the exact boat you are going to purchase then MAYBE... the price could be justified.
But I think this person would rather keep this boat then lose too much of their investment.

I've purchased several canoes that have been "won" in various raffles. I offered half of retail and the owners have all been happy.

I don't think this boat will sell. It's gonna die in the sellers pocket.
I also think that the gunnel blemish is just a reflection of the sawhorse. (count the plys)

Buy one from an outfitter. You'll save a pile of money and learn what you really want when you're ready to drop the big pile of cash. You'll most likely get what you paid for the canoe when you decide to sell.
You will never recover the cost of this red boat.

PostPosted: June 10th, 2018, 4:14 pm 

Totally want a 16ft canoe with a modern design such as the Quetico. This one looks bad ass in the red. I don’t think the condition was bad, but the seller and I could not work out a deal.

PostPosted: June 12th, 2018, 8:34 pm 

I have this exact canoe and yes, it scratches easily. Great canoe and I have no regrets in purchasing it at full retail. Seems like a fair price based on the photos - looks in very good shape, and these are durable canoes - also at 43 lbs, they are a breeze to portage.

Good luck!
Mike