View topic - Deep Freeze '05

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Deep Freeze '05
PostPosted: September 9th, 2004, 4:00 am 

Okay I know that it is a long way off BUT.........

In about a month I will be receiving my work schedule for 2005 ( yes the whole year) and shortly there after I will be expected to pick my holidays for the year.
All my scheduled time off (vacation time etc) will have to be submitted and approved by the end of november. I am 1 of 175, so the sooner the better.

Does anyone have any thoughts when DF 05 will take place other than at the end of February. I'm not trying to rush mother nature but...
Now it will be possible to do some changing but I don't want to have to rely on the time being available.

Cliff

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9th, 2004, 5:18 am 

Being one who has barely acheived my tenderfoot badge in winter camping and a committed cold tenter, I'm probably way down on the pecking order - but.
The second or third week of February would be my choice, for two reasons. One, its not at month end, for those of us that have to content with that business reality. And two, it may not be quite so mild, or the least the chances of it being mild are less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9th, 2004, 7:52 am 

...it's one of those things where you go too early and you might not have sufficient snow, put it off too late, it gets warmer.......

I think we've had good success with near the end of Feb.

Let's just hope we have a good COLD! winter unlike the predictions I've heard so far.

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9th, 2004, 2:15 pm 

After the 15 of February is good for me and same weather than last year 8)

I suspect that Cliff could use the same date than last year??

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9th, 2004, 3:00 pm 

latter in the year gives you more daylight and you might want to pick some full moon nights.

Here is a sight with some statistical weather data

http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/winter/g ... ipment.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9th, 2004, 3:02 pm 

sorry wrong site. :oops: This one has the weather data

http://www.wunderground.com/history/sta ... story.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9th, 2004, 4:16 pm 

Any time in February should be fine with me. I'm a lot more interested in "where" rather than "when".
Come on Winter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9th, 2004, 6:05 pm 

Grinder wrote:
... you might want to pick some full moon nights.

Ack!!! How can you see stars and aurora with a full moon in the sky? :D

Another thought, if I remember correctly the main weekend was chosen to be right after the Toronto Outdoor Show. Next year it happens to be the last weekend of February.

Tony

PS. That is also the week of the full moon, Feb 24.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9th, 2004, 6:35 pm 

If nothing changes the dates will probably Sat Feb 19 through Feb27 for the full eight days and Feb 22 -27 for the five day people and Feb24 -27 for the three night freezers. These days are not set in stone but will fall into the same approx. time as last year. Anyone that just has to be at the adventure show can come on the earlier date Feb 19 or Feb 22 and then leave either on the wednesday Feb 23 or the Friday Feb 25. The area hasn't been picked yet but we will probably go back to the same spot as a different spot has not been found yet that can accomadate such a large group. If more freezers come this year the spot we used last year has room for more. Remember new comers are welcome to come, most of us only met last year for the first time.

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9th, 2004, 8:45 pm 

I finally found a pair of used downhill skis for the making of my sled a few weeks ago....Hope to start on that sometime in October.

Tony...are you up for giving astronomy lessons? I'm hoping to pickup my first real pair of binos within the next week or so, (Nikon AE 10 x 50 WP's)

3 nights is probably about all I can swing.

While I have no clue as to where last year's was....I'd be interested in knowing the area....and hearing about other possibilities if anyone has any?

One thought I've pondered is the idea of a hut to hut experience...whereby there would be (2) base camps...with trekking from one to another. (Kind of like John Carpenter's movie, The Thing, where there's both the Swedish and US Antarctic camps)

But maybe logistically this would be hard to achieve....just a thought.

-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 10th, 2004, 9:06 am 

Tonycc wrote:
Grinder wrote:
... you might want to pick some full moon nights.

Ack!!! How can you see stars and aurora with a full moon in the sky? :D

S. That is also the week of the full moon, Feb 24.

exposing that I am a Noobie I did not realize that DF 05 was a large outing with star gazing.

I think that a full moon is good for skiing/hiking at night while no moon is good for stargazing but tough to see around the campsite. I think both are good and preferable to half a moon or clouds

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 10th, 2004, 10:34 am 

Grinder wrote:
[exposing that I am a Noobie I did not realize that DF 05 was a large outing with star gazing.

I think that a full moon is good for skiing/hiking at night while no moon is good for stargazing but tough to see around the campsite. I think both are good and preferable to half a moon or clouds

For me, any trip in the wilderness is an opportunity to look at the sky. I tend to plan my trips around the new moon to be able to take full advantage of the non-light polluted skies found up north. I will take advantage of full moons for night hikes/skis.

Star gazing is not a focus for the DF outing. The phase of the moon is not a factor at all in my consideration about whether to attend. It is a great time with a bunch of great people. While the location is in the wilderness, it is actually a small town during the week. We had over thirty people there for a couple of the nights last year! There is nothing like days full of outdoor fun, with a vibrant nightlife to enjoy in the evening.

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 10th, 2004, 3:59 pm 

Though I have only winter camped 3 times including DF03 and 4...I can now boldly say that winter camping ROCKS :clap:

(compared to ho hum boring summertime )

Anyone else with this strange affliction :o

Mike S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 10th, 2004, 4:04 pm 

Mike S. wrote:
Though I have only winter camped 3 times including DF03 and 4...I can now boldly say that winter camping ROCKS :clap:

(compared to ho hum boring summertime )

Anyone else with this strange affliction :o

Mike S.

Yup. No mosquitoes or blackflies & I don't overheat as badly as in summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 10th, 2004, 5:26 pm 

after the 15 of February would work well for me as well, I really enjoyed meeting CCR's there at my first get together