View topic - Yurts At Silent Lake

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Yurts At Silent Lake
PostPosted: September 14th, 2004, 10:33 am 

Has anyone stayed at the yurts at Silent Lake Prov Park? Looking for a new place to take my girlfriend (been to the Yurts at Mew Lake a bunch of times). I've never been to Silent Lake and am wondering what the winter experience is like there? Is it quiet? Is there usually many other winter campers there? What are the yurts like?

Any info would be appreciated.

My Website: http://www.elmsphotography.ca
My Blog: http://www.elmsphotography.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 14th, 2004, 10:56 am 

I have never stayed in one but I was at Silent Lake last year in the Spring. The park was nearly empty and the yurts were unoccupied so we had a chance to check them out. No one else on our loop at all. The yurts are VERY nice. Circular in shape with 3 large windows which I believe are fitted with clear plastic windows that could be used in winter. Bug netting would be used in summer. There is also a skylight so they are very bright inside. Nice stove, BBQ and outfitted with a basic kitchen kit. Very clean and well kept. The park itself is very nice, first time I had been there. I've considered bring up the family and getting a yurt in the summer. I would recommend them highly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 14th, 2004, 11:38 am 

Hi Hotelseven,
In my opinion the Yurts at Silent Lake are nicer than the ones at Mew. We stayed there last Feb and plan to go again this Feb. We had a couple of other winter campers in tents with our group, but other than that we were on our own. They cost a little bit more the Mew lake yurts but they include free firewood, drinking water, propane BBQ, utensils, and a snowmobile ride in and out by the friendly park staff. Ski trails were also great. Make sure you don't arrive after hours, because the Yurts are difficult to find in the dark and a very long trek to haul all of your gear from the parking lot.. They don't have electricity, but there is a good woodstove for heating. In addition to a table, they also had a counter unit for the water container, dishes etc.
Reserve early!
Cheers,
Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15th, 2004, 4:28 pm 

Luv2kanu wrote:
Hi Hotelseven,
In my opinion the Yurts at Silent Lake are nicer than the ones at Mew.

I agree with Jeff - cooler yurts than in Algonquin. But then, we were on the same trip!
Pictures of yurts/Silent Lake here:
http://johanna.wandel.ca/SilentLake/index.html