View topic - Redfeather snowshoes?

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Redfeather snowshoes?
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2004, 3:22 pm 

I am new to snowshoeing. I went several times last year, and rented several different snowshoes. I tried MSRs, Atlas' and Redfeathers. These brands seem to be the most readily available for rentals. Of the rentals that I had, I liked the Redfeathers the best. Has anyone had any experience with these?

Is there anything else that I should check out before I buy? I live in Colorado, and will be snowshoeing on trails in the mountains. The snow is often packed closer to the trailheads, but the powder can get deep as you travel. I weigh in around 170#'s.

Thanks for any input!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2004, 4:29 pm 

I have been eyeballing the redfeather powder shoes. I like the ratcheting strap adjustment. Igloo Ed, had these on his shoes last year and was amazed at the ease of use. Hey Ed, if you are listening, what type of shoes did you have?

BTW, Ed is also from Colorado, you should hook up with him. Nice guy with a lot of crazy experience in the Rockies.

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2004, 5:41 pm 

There are no hard and fast rules but generally speaking:

traditional snowshoes are the only real viable option in deep loose powder snow. Modern shoes work really well on hardpack trails whether from use or wind and very well in icy conditions.

You doing the right thing by renting/trialing.
cheers, Ted

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 25th, 2004, 1:27 pm 

Hey Tony,
I have the Atlas snowshoes with the ratcheting buckle. Mine is an older model as one of my buddies bought a pair a year later and his buckle system was even easier to use. It had a long buckle/handle to pull the binding tight. He had a bit of trouble though with coming down real steep stuff and the binding coming undone. It turned out that there is a little release sticking up that got bumped when doing the "powder shooting"/tele type down hill.
My buddy clipped/filed about 1/8 inch off the release and it was fine then. He told a Atlas rep about it at a demo we were at.
I think Atlas has changed the binding design again since. Not quite sure on that though.
What experience are you calling "crazy" Tony?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 25th, 2004, 4:45 pm 

Hey Ed - nice to hear from ya. Tell me your buiding Igloos already this year. I can't wait for some snow.
Its funny, I was just looking at a pair of those funny metal shoes today - GWS, or something like that - and the first thing I picked up on was the possition of the ratcheting handles. I though they would be a problem. The sales rep said they were made by Atlas.
The other concern I had was the upper buckle - the one that is up by your ankle across the front of your upper foot..
Does that buckle interfer with gaitors - you know pull on them, or wear the Gaitor?
When the buckle was ratched up it would definately be across the bottom of your Gaitor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 25th, 2004, 6:40 pm 

Hi Rick,
Naw, ain't building any igloos yet but soon. I have a two night trip planned in the beginning of Dec. at least and hopefully soon also.
The bindings that replaced mine are on this shoe: http://www.atlassnowshoe.com/products/12.asp You can see the little black release tab sticking up through the yellow buckle. That was the only problem with those bindings and easy to fix. I also doesn't show up until one starts getting a bit crazy with what he does on snowshoes.
The model on that page is shorter than mine though. Mine are 9X29 inches.
I like the double strap suspension on those shoes though and see that some of the other Atlas shoes have a single strap. The double strap makes the tips of the shoes come up when taking a step. But I think I'd still like the strap suspension more than other mfgs. metal suspensions.
I wear full cover gaiters and the bindings don't wear them. The snow and ice wears them out much faster. If you don't have full cover gaiters, then the binding would probably hold the gaiter down better so they don't get shoved up.
It's funny how the snowshoe companies are changing models and designs as fast as the auto makers. I do believe though that Atlas is a quality and service oriented company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2004, 2:44 am 

Ranger,
Check out Crescent Moon Snowshoes. Its been a while since I've been into snowshoeing but I remember pushing Crescent Moon shoes when I was working in Colorado. (pushing them because they are made in CO, maybe in Boulder??). So if supporting local business is important to you check out that company. They might have been more focused on designs for pack/trail use and racing but its worth a shot.

River