View topic - Deep Freeze '05?

It is currently March 18th, 2024, 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2004, 4:24 pm 

Mad's right,

Day 1 is brutal to go in and try to build an Igloo, snow shelter or Quinzee after the long haul in dragging your gear and helping others out when the situation warrants the need for help.

I do agree that the temperature in them is much more comfortable then in a hot tent when its cold out, but that's why I've gone with folks with weaker threshhold's of bladder or chill so I can stay in my sleeping bag until someone lights up the stove. I had to break down last season during 04' and do it once in the AM.

You don't need the heat when your sleeping, IMO, but it is sure nice to get that morning chill off you when you wake up! Mad's got to go find a tent with the smoke signal of "WARMTH!" first before he ventures out..... :wink: ....and of course, everyone is welcome to stop by for a chill remover.

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2004, 5:33 pm 

Tonycc wrote:
rwizard wrote:
I am not sure about the igloo thing, or my own tent. You don't want to have to check on me and find me in an icecube.

That hardly ever happens, check out this picture from DF03. :wink:

After that picture I'm beginning to wonder if going on the DF2005 is a good idea. Obviously that fella was using the wrong sleeping bag.

Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2004, 7:18 pm 

Georgi wrote:
You don't need the heat when your sleeping, IMO, but it is sure nice to get that morning chill off you when you wake up! Mad's got to go find a tent with the smoke signal of "WARMTH!" first before he ventures out.....

A hot tent is nice to visit in the morning, but it isn't necessary. I didn't use a tent or a snow shelter for a week in Feb '98. We didn't have a hot tent at the first winter gathering. Scouter Joe & I didn't have one when we did a little trek after the gathering.

But then, Joe went & got himself a canvas tent & woodstove after that trek. Maybe he's a faster learner than I am. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2004, 9:17 pm 

I should have said that Mad, your right....it all depends how you like to get out there and we all are different.

I've had the fun of quinzee, cold and hot tents and I'd do anyone of them again just to be out there in the winter. I just lean toward the hot tent more becuase you can enjoy the long stay, take a bath when you need to, and for all the Banter/Food/Fun our tent has produced over the last few Gatherings.

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2004, 11:02 pm 

I loved the hot tent...but ur right about it being darn right cold in the am !!!! But then that gentlemen Joe would throw his sleeping bag over me and start the stove up...so itwould be toasty for when I crawled out of bed....and of course I would be more then glad to make breakfast....and Joe..I will make all the meals for u .... just keep throwing tht bag over me in the early am.... I have a Five Star Bag I could bring..but its really heavy and big !!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 3:43 pm 

Debbie wrote:
I loved the hot tent...but ur right about it being darn right cold in the am !!!! But then that gentlemen Joe would throw his sleeping bag over me and start the stove up...so itwould be toasty for when I crawled out of bed....and of course I would be more then glad to make breakfast....and Joe..I will make all the meals for u .... just keep throwing tht bag over me in the early am.... I have a Five Star Bag I could bring..but its really heavy and big !!!!

Ah, bring it, if you can get it on the plane. We'll find space on someone's sled.

I thought about building a ski sled for this winter, but really like my plastic sled. It's quite sufficient for lightweight camping but not for helping to bring in some of the bulkier group gear. So I'll copy an idea I saw at Deep Freeze '04. I'll buy a 2nd plastic sled & close-hitch it behind the first one. There will be plenty of space for extra stuff.

I reserve the right to reject cast iron grills, frypans, etc. :tsk:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2004, 8:45 pm 

So you would hook the second sled on the back of the first one? That is a good idea as I love my plastic one too...If that works I will give it a try..I want to help pull some of the groups stuff too !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2004, 4:29 pm 

This will be our 3rd winter gathering coming up. For DF-03, Joyce and I converted the top off a tent trailer for our hot tent that we nick name the 'Long House'. This tent was about 7 x 11 and worked great. The only draw back it weighed about 32 lbs. For 2 people it was perfect. For DF-04 Joyce and I built a 10 x 12 Prospector Tent and weighed in at 11 lbs. and could easly sleep 4 people. It was a considerable improvement. Other than adding a few tie tabs inside for hanging stuff to dry we are ready. We are making some improvements to our wood stove though. I want to make a better damper for the stove. Last gathering I woke up about an hour after we went to bed and the temperature must have been 90F in there. Consumed wood a little faster than necessary. We are also adding a sheet metal to the bottom of the stove that we can use as a oven. It will add very little weight. **Richard you may want to think about doing this to you stove. Other than that bring on the snow.
Mad you are right. once the stove starts to cool it gets pretty cold in there, BUT, on the flip side, when you get up in the morning it can be up to 20C in a few minutes, kettle boiling, Coffee's ON. Oh yeah.
Love my hot tent. It just adds that little comfort level.
I'm sure any of our hot tenters would agree.
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 12th, 2004, 11:26 am 

OK, I am IN!!!!!!

I wanto to build a hot tent though.... Anybody have any plans?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2004, 12:30 pm 

Hey Dan, beware the addiction starts, you have opened yourself up to a whole new wonderful experience. Look forward to meeting you.

Listen to advice and accept instruction, and in the end you will be wise. Prov. 19:20

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 14th, 2004, 8:20 am 

Plans..... yes, I've got plans to post plans on my website. I'll try to get that done soon. I was going to do a wall tent article in Bushwhacker before it folded. Might as well "publish" it myself.

Post subject: location
PostPosted: November 14th, 2004, 9:41 am 

Has there been a decision on the exact location yet, I've heard from Merlin that there is a couple of possibly sites, I'm just curious to know before I purchase the maps.

Bring on the snow

Mark