View topic - Deep Freeze '05?

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Deep Freeze '05?
PostPosted: October 26th, 2004, 5:52 pm 

Is it too early for a forum devoted to this winter's gathering? :clap: :clap: :clap:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2004, 6:48 pm 

Hi Lloyd . I don't like to see the gathering go to a private form to early . If we keep it in the regular forms everyone gets a chance to see them and get involved in the initial planning . Then later on if they are interested they can get with the private planning form . scouter Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2004, 8:06 pm 

You're right. I was just hoping to get discussion going, not limit who could discuss or read the posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2004, 8:10 pm 

What is the initial timing and duration for such a Gathering? I’ve always thought about winter camping and what better way to try it than in a group who can carry my frozen carcass :oops: out?

Regards,

Miles

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2004, 8:18 pm 

Blackfly wrote:
What is the initial timing and duration for such a Gathering? I’ve always thought about winter camping and what better way to try it than in a group who can carry my frozen carcass :oops: out?

The winter gathering has been in late February. Winter hasn't turned slushy yet & the daylight hours are longer than in early winter.

We reached the gathering by Budd Car (train) from Sudbury. The early birds went in on a Saturday, some of us arrived Tuesday & the late ones arrived Thursday. Most of us left on Sunday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2004, 8:38 pm 

And this is a great opportunity for anyone who's considered winter camping, but was reluctant to try it for the first time.

You'll be part of a large group with lots of experience, the proper gear, and best of all ... heated tents to bail out if you get too cold :wink:

As with all gatherings, everyone is welcome to attend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2004, 8:52 pm 

FEBRUARY!! It’s kind of cold in February isn’t it? I declare some initial interest in this but am certain I’ll need a few days travel time to reach a location such as the Budd Car heading north of Sudbury would lead us to; from Niagara the ‘Banana Belt’ of our province I would need numerous stops to acclimatize myself.

I’ll drag the sled of anyone who can put a good enough spin on this to attract my British wife to the event.

Miles

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2004, 10:20 pm 

Blackfly wrote:
FEBRUARY!! It’s kind of cold in February isn’t it? I declare some initial interest in this but am certain I’ll need a few days travel time to reach a location such as the Budd Car heading north of Sudbury would lead us to; from Niagara the ‘Banana Belt’ of our province I would need numerous stops to acclimatize myself.

I was running around in shorts & sweating buckets at Deep Freeze '04. It was quite a bit colder at Deep Freeze '03.

Quote:
I’ll drag the sled of anyone who can put a good enough spin on this to attract my British wife to the event.

You'll probably have enough of your own load to pull.
A British couple came to Deep Freeze '03 & really enjoyed it. They spent night 1 under a tarp with me, then they built & slept in a quinzee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2004, 10:25 pm 

Blackfly wrote:

If she comes, I'll let you use my Icebox igloo maker. Wouldn't she just love to sleep in an igloo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2004, 12:02 am 

After being in attendance to a few of these Freezies, I think we've determined you could very well show up naked and without a thing.

You'll find that food is plenty, shelter can either be built, borrowed or lent, and most people if not all could offer up some sort of clothing to keep you both dry and warm.

At least if your in the second or third wave to the Gathering......I wouldn't want to try it in the first grouping!

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2004, 6:39 am 

Georgi wrote:
......I wouldn't want to try it in the first grouping!

I don't know about that Georgi. You folks looked after me pretty good for a few days. I was always well fed, had a few places to dry my clothes, a warm spot to hang out and a constant pain in my side from laughing so much. :clap: :clap:

Post subject: Would like to try it?!
PostPosted: October 27th, 2004, 8:32 am 

I would like to try this winter camping, sounds like a hoot! I am not sure on accomodations though.

Is there someone out there that has a hot tent I can join? I don't snore, honest.

I am not sure about the igloo thing, or my own tent. You don't want to have to check on me and find me in an icecube.

Roger

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2004, 12:35 pm 

rwizard wrote:
I am not sure about the igloo thing, or my own tent. You don't want to have to check on me and find me in an icecube.

That hardly ever happens, check out this picture from DF03. :wink:

The trend has been more and more hot tents, if it keeps going there will be more hot tents than tenters. I enjoy the solitude of my cold tent, but I'm sure somebody will offer to take you in in exchange for dragging part of the load. I hope you can join us, it is a blast.

Tony

PostPosted: October 27th, 2004, 2:46 pm 

rwizard wrote:
Is there someone out there that has a hot tent I can join? I don't snore, honest.

Hot tents afe great - for drying clothes, cooking, socializing, getting dressed & undressed. I'm not convinced that they are so great for sleeping.

Hot tents have virtually no little insulation. Sheet metal stoves don't control the burn well & the firewood is often fast-burning softwood. So the hot tents are hot only when someone is feeding the stove. The temperature plummets shortly after you go to bed, unless you have someone willing to jump up & feed the stove every half hour. If it's -30C outside at 3 AM, it'll be very nearly -30C inside as well.

My igloo has 8" thick walls that provide insulation & thermal mass, so the temperature is quite stable. Sure, it never gets very warm, but it never gets very cold either. It takes a fair bit of time to build though. So if I arrive with group 1, I'll probably hot-tent the first night & complete my igloo the next day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2004, 3:57 pm 

..................................or hire Mike ti stay in your tent! :wink: :wink:

jim