View topic - Waking up cold in the night...

It is currently March 18th, 2024, 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2004, 9:54 am 
CCR Assistant Administrator

You could try the "hand warmer" packet thingies. Make sure they are new, though, as they don't heat up so great after a year or so. :oops: We get them at CTC or WalMart, in the hunting section. Throw them in your sleeping bag at the foot area before going to bed.

http://www.weplay.com/thermals/rags/

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 12th, 2004, 11:19 am 

The trick to the hot-water nalgene thingy is to put it inside a wool sock... you wont burn yourself and it retains the heat longer.... Don't light the stove inside your tent, it will not provide much heat.. and what heat it does provide will quickly dissipate through the thin walls. The only two times i have ever lit a stove in a tent is for cooking in a snow storm at 7000ft and that was in the vestebule (did not worry about bears on a peak in the winter). The second time is a trick taught to me by my Outward Bound instructor a few years ago.

If you tent is soaked, pitch it, leave the fly off, light the stove out side the tent, (MSR can flame up BIG) place a pan on the floor of you empty tent, put the stove on it, zip up the doors and watch as your tent magically dries, once it is dry carfully put out your stove and remove it. This trick works really well, but it can have some nasty consequences if you mess it up...

If you wake up cold in the night, eat something high-fat and you will warm right up... Cheese, PB, etc...

Enjoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2004, 3:07 pm 

Great site, I've passed along the url of this site to several trippers, and will continue to do so.

Anyway, I got back safely. I arrived at killarney at sunset, went into the Bell Lake access point for a look-see, then went to George Lake campground to stay for the night. By then it was after 7:00pm -- totally dark. I was curious to see if there were any other campers there so I drove through the entire campground to find that I was the only one there. Perfect!

This was the evening of that spectacular auroral display so I drove around looking for a campsite that I could view. I rolled our my Thermarest, 35-year-old Blacks Northland down sleeping bag, hopped-in, put on my balaclava and watched the show on and off al night. No flashlight required when I had to search for the can at about 3:00am. I should have taken some pics, but it was chilly, pooped-out and I figured I could take some pics the next night. I didn't have a thermometer but I figure it got down to -10C. I was very comfortable. I had to keep adjusting the balaclava throughout the night because the only place I was cold what where I positioned the holes for the eyes and mouth.

During the drive to and from Killarney, I didn't see another vehicle carrying a canoe, nor did I see any in Killarney.

Now that I've had a taste for "sleeping under the stars," I'm going to do more of it next Spring and Summer. I'll start another thread with that in mind.

Thanks for all the tips regarding cool-weather camping.

Here's a link to my site where there's a link for solo trips taken to Barren Canyon and the overnighter to killarney.

http://www.paul-hicks.ca/

Regards, Paul.

It's a thin line that separates a gourmet from a glutton