View topic - Boots for Snowshoes

It is currently March 18th, 2019, 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2002, 12:18 am 

I just wear a pair of insulated hiking boots. I think mine are Columbia Snow Monkeys. I also wear regular hiking boots with snowshoes as the feet arent in contact with the ground. Sometimes the aggressive tread on the Snow Monkeys gets hung up in the snowshoe binding and they are tough to get on/off. Knee high gaiters keep the legs warm and dry and keep the snow out of the boot.
I have aluminum Atlas snowshoes (the 1033s) and what binding you have might make a difference.
The Sorels I have are way too heavy(snowshoes are heavy enuf thanks) and they are too big to fit in the bindings. Plus they arent really supportive shoes for hiking. Useful for standing in camp for me yes(very warm) but not for trail movement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2002, 3:03 pm 

"Last year both my wife and I bought our winter boots made by Acton."

Merlin -- What type did you buy. Are the the lace up boot types (leather tops) or the nylon top?

Thanks, John

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2002, 7:32 pm 

I have in the past used leather hikers with snowshoes, and I found that the straps on the snowshoes retained enough snow that in the end, the boot get wet, even though without the snowshoes, same boots would remain dry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 24th, 2002, 8:02 pm 

Quote:
On 2002-11-24 15:03, hoodoo40 wrote:
"Last year both my wife and I bought our winter boots made by Acton."

Merlin -- What type did you buy. Are the the lace up boot types (leather tops) or the nylon top?

Thanks, John

John
These Actons are nylon top. The mens are a lace up, just 3 laces through large loops and my wifes has velcro strap. You would not be disappointed in these boots.
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 27th, 2002, 4:55 pm 

Wow! Thanks for the input, everybody. I certainly have lots to chew on.

Mukluks: as much as I would like to have a pair, the reality is that us “unfortunates :smile: ” that live in the south have to deal with a lot of wet snow and slush. Since I need these boots to be multi-purpose, in varied weather conditions, I have ruled them out. If I really get into winter camping & snowshoeing I will probably buy a pair specifically for that purpose. When I am ready to buy, I will explore Craig MacDonald’s handiwork.

NEOS: Imagine my surprise when I walked into Smyth’s Shoe Store, right here in little ol’ downtown Simcoe and saw five models ranging from low-cut urban style overshoes to the insulated Navigator model. No doubt that this is a quality product but I just have a tough time wrapping my head around the loose fitting Cordura outer shell on the foot portion of the boot. I also have quite a large scar on the back of my heel and I think that the tightening strap may cause chaffing in that area. The owner of the store wears the Neos Navigator while snowmobiling and prefers them to a Baffin / Acton / Sorel style boot (he also sells Baffin boots). They do have a 1-year satisfaction guarantee that is attractive. $150 retail for the Navigator. Other models are less. I think that if I was doing more fall paddling that I would consider one of their non-insulated styles for portaging or loading and unloading the canoe.

In summary, I’m still looking … The –40 Baffins look pretty good. I still have to check out the Acton boots and Sorels before making a decision.

Thanks, again
Bob

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: maddogbob on 2002-11-27 16:57 ]</font>

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2003, 8:55 am 
Actons are indeed the way to go. I have owned mine now for 6 years (leather tops) and they are excellent. Everyones tolerance for cold will vary and I'm sure Baffins, Sorel/Columbia and Actons all perform almost neck and neck. The key is too buy your boot a half to full size bigger than your actual foot size. Buy good liner socks and if you haven't tried Smartwool Expedition socks..get em! They're pricey (22$ a pair) but they are warm. As a side note...Actons are worn by the Canadian army on their artic patrols. They are definitely the warmest I have owned.
As for rec. snowshoeing last year I bought a pair of Columbia Titaniums..a -40 sport boot that fit nicely into a snowshoe without all the fuss...smaller toe of the boot allows for quick entry into the binding.
Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2003, 9:05 am 
Kim you wouldn't be wearing hiking boots with your snow shoes up here lassie. Freeze the leather solid.
Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2003, 5:55 pm 

Hey Bob -
I have the Columbia "Ballistic" boots for snowshoeing. You can see them at MEC here http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weathe ... C02045.htm (last year they also sold a women's model, this year it seems to be only mens' and kids).
I really like them. The gaiter hook is great for, well, my gaiters when I'm goofing off in powder. They don't have laces to get gunked up with snow/ice, instead an adjustable nylon strap/quick release buckle setup, and a velcro strap contraption in the back to really customize the fit. The raised little bit at the heel keeps my snowshoe straps from slipping. The treads, while not overly aggressive, have kept me from sliding on city streets (though they are on the soft side - after a year, I can see the wear on the sole). Most importantly, though, the insulation works - my feet are never cold when I'm moving no matter what the conditions. And they're fully waterproof, and reasonably priced. I like 'em.
(but they don't breathe, and I haven't used them in anything less than -20. But I've sloshed through many puddles with dry feet. Though if the liner was removable a la Sorel, I'd like them even better...)

Johanna