View topic - "New" snowshoe design

It is currently March 21st, 2019, 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: "New" snowshoe design
PostPosted: March 12th, 2014, 10:10 am 

I'm thinking of a buying a new pair of snowshoes for use in the Maine woods.

I'm a big guy (275) and need a big shoe.

I have a pair of 10X36 Sherpas which are OK, but a little on the small side for me and noisier than I'd like. Perhaps the best option I've found is an oversized 12X44 Green Mountain shoe from Iverson. They also have a 13X46 Michigan.

But I've also found a local maker who claims to have designed a new shoe for use in thick stuff: http://mgsnowshoes.homestead.com/Products2.html

These shoes are made by a company that also runs a big outfitting business, and in the winter they do a lot of showshoe hare hunts. They call the shoe the "Rabbit Hunter". It's got upturn at both the front and back, which is said to make it easier to reverse. Their large is 11X40--still maybe a little small for me, but I could request a larger custom pair.

I'm interested in thoughts from experienced members about how these will work.

Also, is anyone else has suggestions for oversized traditional shoes, please pass them along.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2014, 12:28 pm 

I don't see so much new in this design, except for the upturned rear, which I can see could be useful in some circumstances.

I don't like that particular style for large shoes because they don't "key" into one another so your gate must be at least as wide as the shoe. This limits how wide they can be.

Otherwise size matters for snowshoes, and you will need big ones. I'd suggest you look at the models put out by Timmins Snowshoes. http://www.snowshoesalesandrepairs.com/ ... main_index If you want she will probably make a custom size for you. I use the 16 x 48" Hurons and am very happy with them. Walking is easy and they provide great flotation.

Kinguq.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2014, 7:46 am 

Kinguq suggestion is a good one. I've seen those particular shoes and they are very well made and would certainly meet your needs.
You should also checkout the snowshoes ( Traditional & Aluminum ) made by Faber at this link: https://www.fabersnowshoes.com/
They have quite a few options in trad shoes that may suit your use and weight.
The Mountain Quest aluminum 13 x 30 also looks interesting, but they aren't cheap.
Good luck snowshoe hunting...
Cheers,
Al 8)

PostPosted: March 28th, 2014, 9:48 pm 

Don't waste your time on "new" designs.

The turned-up toe (I haven't ever seen a turned-up tail) is something that has been tried before, and it doesn't really help. Because it's turned up, that part of the snowshoe is not in contact with the snow, and does not help to support your weight. Outcome is you can wear a bigger snowshoe, but get only the effective surface area of a smaller snowshoe.

Take Kinguq's advice. Snowshoe Sales & Repairs in Timmins. The 400 lb test mono is the best lacing on the market (I've used their snowshoes for years now, they're much lighter than rawhide babiche, and they're still in good shape), and for your size, get the biggest traditional shapes you can find. 12x60, 16x48, etc. Anything smaller, and you will be postholing, which isn't fun. And it's not much more fun for anyone who happens to walking behind you, because they're going to suffer from the postholes just like you did.

If you're going to be in thick bush, contact Snowshoe Sales & Repairs and ask if they still make 18x39. Similar large surface area, but more manoeuverable. I don't see them on their website now, but they might be available if you ask. FWIW, I weigh only 160 lb or so, and I use that size if I'm camping and pulling a toboggan. When you're pulling a load, the downthrust on the snowshoe is a lot more than your own body weight.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2015, 4:18 pm 

My needs for a snowshoe are a little different, as mine spend most of their time strapped to the side of a snowmobile, but the best all-round snowshoe I've ever seen is the wire frame, nylon laced bear-paw with rubber straps. They last forever, pack really flat, stay on your feet, are very maneuverable, and they're affordable.

This is just a pic I pulled off the net, but it give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

https://newfiebullettadventures.wordpress.com/