View topic - Epoxy on snowshoes?

It is currently October 16th, 2018, 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Epoxy on snowshoes?
PostPosted: January 16th, 2016, 11:38 am 

Question: Has anyone experimented with two part marine epoxy rather than spar varnish on wooden snowshoe frames? I'm thinking that good marine epoxy would provide a more durable layer of protection than varnish does.

Potential downsides: Heavier. More expensive. Cannot be applied (?) over previously varnished shoes, or over lacing. Less flexible--may be subject to cracking.

The same trade offs exist for marine uses, and a lot of use epoxy on wooded boats, or on wooden paddles.

If anyone has experimented with this, or has thoughts on the tradeoffs, I'd be interested.

Post subject: Re: Epoxy on snowshoes?
PostPosted: October 9th, 2016, 11:29 am 

Standard WestSystem epoxy is very brittle. But there is a brand called G-Flex that might work.

Are you just talking about the frames, not the babiche? If so, sure, any epoxy will probably work.

Dave

PostPosted: October 9th, 2016, 12:17 pm 

native brookie wrote:
Potential downsides: Heavier. More expensive. Cannot be applied (?) over previously varnished shoes, or over lacing. Less flexible--may be subject to cracking.

If anyone has experimented with this, or has thoughts on the tradeoffs, I'd be interested.

add lack of UV resistance to the downside, you need a coat of something to protect the epoxy. If you are looking for an easy way to treat wood - I use Cetol (also over epoxy) quick and easy to recoat when needed. I do not mind the colour it imparts to the wood (somewhat orange) but there are newer formulations that are supposed to have less of a tint. I can get the 3-5 coats I use (as a minimum) done in less than a week, and I use the foam brushes so I do not have any clean up to do.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2016, 12:46 pm 

Cetol is a wonderful coating. I have a cedar house and a wooden sailboat practically encapsulated with the stuff.

I never thought about using it on showshoes, but it would work. Not very abrasion-resistant though.

Cetol 1 is a penetrating solution, and it's designed to be covered with Cetol 2,3+ as a breathable topcoat. So this would be fine on babiche I would think.

Dave