View topic - Backcountry skiing newbie..

It is currently December 10th, 2018, 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 10:34 pm 

Hello all:
I'm an experience xc skier who will have some time on his hands this winter. I have always wanted to try backcountry skiing. I see that about the only skiing of this type in Ontario is in the Sault Ste Marie region. Tremblant looks intriguing, but I think I would need to build my skill level up before I tackled some of the longer routes there. Is there any hut-to-hut skiing in Ontario? Is there anything closer than Tremblant in Quebec?

PostPosted: August 25th, 2016, 11:31 pm 

Thinking about skiing already? "Backcountry skiing" means different things to different people. If you mean away from mechanically groomed trails in beefier skis and boots, there are some good places. Kolapore, near Collingwood, is very pretty. Algonquin has many possibilities. If, however, you're looking to link tele turns on slopes, you're not in the best place. Of course, you can tele at the ski resorts like Blue Mountain and avail yourself of the lifts. I doubt, though, that that's what you mean by "backcountry skiing". Parc National du Mont Tremblant (independent of the resort) and la Réserve Faunique de Papineau-Labelle have hut-to-hut skiing with access to groomed, tracked trails as well as to ungroomed "backcountry" trails. Neither, though, has slopes amenable to serious backcountry tele-ing. You might check out the Sépaq web site where the backcountry options across Quebec are described. For x-country skiing on groomed, tracked trails, the Leaf Lake network at Algonquin's east gate are wonderful.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2016, 7:41 am 

Do you want inn to inn skiing?
There are places in Maine..that are amenable to multi day trips staying in lodges each night
Hut to Hut in the Chic Chocs in Quebec.

If you want serious tele, not much is better than the Adirondacks in NY to get started. You can ski shelter to shelter but basically you will be outdoors at minus 40. The shelters are three sided and roofed.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2016, 8:19 am 

Hi Foxco,
Back country XC is one of my favourite distractions in the winter. I predominantly ski off trail around Algonquin or Frontenac Park (I live in Kingston). As noted above, there are not many opportunities for linking turns in these areas. However, when the conditions are right, it's still a ton of fun and much faster than snowshoeing. I use old downhill skis with 75 mm bindings (no cables), 70 mm width at the head and tail, Alpina Alaska boots, and full length climbing skins. I like the skins not only for climbing but also for controlled descents. They're also fast enough for kick and glide that I don't need to remove them on the flats. Having said that I would be interested in trying a backcountry ski with a fish scale pattern. There are downsides to BC skiing, such as wading through deep fresh snow (no faster than snowshoeing) and hitting slush on lakes (way worse than snowshoeing). So the ideal conditions require a crust with a couple of inches of pow on top. March / April tends to the time for epic ski days. I see that you are in the Georgian Bay area; I would think that just out your back door awaits some prime BC ski touring!