View topic - Deep Freeze 2018 February 17 to 25

It is currently September 21st, 2018, 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 5:27 am 

Hi jscudds
By all means . There will be room for you and we'll be happy to see you .
Mark , it wouldn't be the same without the dog house gang . Good to hear from you . scouter Joe

PostPosted: October 30th, 2017, 9:25 am 

I come with my kids every year. At least one. This time it will be my 12 years old daughter (her third DF). Probably her 14 years old cousin will join us again this year.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 7:32 am 

Good stuff! thanks for posting, Joe!

I am planning to be there & looking forward to seeing everyone again.

Hopefully we will have more snow than rain!

PostPosted: October 31st, 2017, 6:28 pm 

Hi Bob

Good to Hear from you . Last year was very unusual so chances are good that this year will be a good old fashioned winter . scouter Joe

PostPosted: November 6th, 2017, 6:09 pm 

Are factory poles required (for Prospector tents) or can we cut poles? ,... im assuming we participants can cut firewood?

Josh

PostPosted: November 6th, 2017, 7:12 pm 

We can cut poles near the site . There are quite a few poles from last year standing up so depending on how many prospector tents coming we might have enough .As for wood we are in a maturing jack pine stand with quite a few standing dead trees available for fire wood . scouter Joe

PostPosted: November 6th, 2017, 7:41 pm 

jscudds
Scouter Joe is very good with a chainsaw. Generally, Joe cuts the rest of the Deep Freezers hall, split, pile.
for safety, sake talk to Joe before you start up a chainsaw. Actually, you really do not need to bring it.
BUT Help is always welcome.
Stay safe
OAF/Dave

PostPosted: November 11th, 2017, 12:29 pm 

Hey all,
Hope everyone has a good Deep Freeze in Feb 2018... temp yesterday in Sudbury was -16C (-25C with the wind chill) so it looks like winter is definitely on its way... will be heading south again this year so I won't be there...have a great time....
Hey Prospector16, great idea using green bins to make snow blocks for an igloo... looks like your scouts are in good hands for winter camping. Also, re: Grand Shelter - Ice Box, the fellow from the company who invented it showed up at one of the DF's quite a few years back when we were still taking the Budd car and showed us how it worked in the field... it was a long process but it made a really nice and roomy igloo.. enjoy your winter camping adventures, and hopefully you'll be able to join the great DF crew in Feb...
Cheers,
Al 8)
'ah, for just one time I would take the Northwest passage"

PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 2:33 pm 

I was doubtful for a while due to our expanding guest list, but recently I got myself a new wall tent, (thanks to Shriley's keen-kijiji-eyes). I think Marc and Greg are still going again, in the Emerald Palace.

Otherwise I am likely in for whole duration, and Krissy may return for a portion of it, as well as Andrea again (but she may have volleyball commitments) and I may bring Ian my 11yr old for the his first time (depending on school).

Just need a stove...

See you there.

ANdrew

PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 7:25 pm 

Hi Andrew . Glad to hear you and the gang will be able to make it , and a new tent to . Wow things are looking up . If you can't get a stove in time I think I still have the old one that we used earlier but there is no pipes with it . If you need it I'll check it out to make sure it is still in OK shape . Let me know . scouter Joe

PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 1:43 pm 

hi all i am a newbie winter camper!
i am in peterborough and thinking of attending with my 5 man bell tent and wood stove i have used this unit once. gotta drive through the snow belt to get there!
would any one know where i could find a 5 inch dia 45 elbow or adjustable 90 degree elbow pipe? 5 inch is rare? my stove pipe moves around in the wind and i get little antsy. i would like to angle the pipe out from the tent and set the pipe in a tripod of old dead trees poles,, hopefully securing no movement. i have read the the posting from a fellow that put a metal ring around his stove pipe and tied it of tightly to trees to stop movement in the winds. with the bell tent i have tie offs all over the place and was trying to avoid adding to the spiders web?
thanks

PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 7:13 pm 

Hi s. p. Hope you will be able to make it out . If I were looking for a 5'' pipe I'd go to home hardware and ask . They may not have it in the store but if they can find one in their computer they will order it in for you . If that doesn't work check with a plumber sheet metal place . Let us know how you make out . Others might be looking for pipe as well . scouter Joe

PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 10:06 am 

Thanks so much for your offer Joe, but...

I got myself a stove from Cabellas in Barrie, even got a deal on it - so pleased!! Would have like to get the telescoping pipes that go with it...but the weekend was already getting too expensive. And I remember not liking the draft performance of telescoping pipes from our Emerald Palace days.

So I am in the same boat as another poster here with regards to the 5inch piping. Will be checking Homehardware as suggested.

Then I’ll have to get it all set up and see how it all works together (hopefully BEFORE DF2018).

Cheers

Last edited by SWIFT on December 21st, 2017, 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2017, 3:28 pm 

i checked most hardware stores that i could think of,,,, then i thought i would check the manufacturer. my stove is from kni co. i looked at there website and found what i need , a 5 inch dia, adjustable elbow. :thumbup:
will work perfectly for what i want. $9.00 american plus shipping.
i hope this helps?

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2018, 11:09 am 

It's been a while since we've attended a Deep Freeze , we were planing to bring our 2 year old Labrador retriever. I know there were "rules" in the past regarding dogs and they were kinda prohibited .
If need be, we can set up our tent away from the main group if there are some participants that have issues with dogs.
thanx
jim

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next