View topic - Winter Camping - The Warm Way

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2004, 1:51 pm 

brrrrrr.

Why is it that everyone is always looking over the other side of the fence for fun?

I'm happy with the warmer weather right now.

It just seems like yesterday y'all were talking about "ice out". :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2004, 3:28 pm 

Georgi
I'd be glad to share my (our) ideas on tent building. I promised Al Marcon my plans as well. (Sorry Al for not getting back to you sooner). I do have the patterns, or at least the dimensions and sketches. You have to remember that some things are made up as you go. Because we finished the tent just a few days before DF04, we were in a time crunch to get it done. I think Richard went through the same dilemma. You will need about 30 or 40 yds of ripstop and a a bunch of light canvas if memory serves. I will have to double check my notes.
Our house is in a turmoil but I'll see what I can find.
Keep reminding me.
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2004, 4:35 pm 

Merlin, haven't found any of the you know what at you know where but I'm always looking. As for another tent, I've been contemplating a Baker style tent and am trying to source the lightest canvas or egyptian cotton I can. This is a frustrating task, as it's popularity has waned with the advent of nylon and polyester fabrics etc. I'm toying with a hybrid nylon/canvas tent but would prefer the cotton to be used in conjunction with a woodstove. Just spent a week paddling and went through the 2 storm days (Tuesday night thru Thursday), we were fine with our tarp setup but I always think of Dave Hadfield's setup and how nice a Baker/stove combo would be for days like that... a good book, cup of tea and the stove to keep the damp at bay! We'll see how it goes with the search for fabric and get down to it this fall after paddling season. Cheers. Sid

"There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going"-unknown

Post subject: Baker style tents
PostPosted: July 16th, 2004, 7:36 pm 

Smokey:

Are you familiar with Ric Driediger's tents in egyptian cotton?

Go to www.churchillcanoe.com.

Cheers.`

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2004, 7:39 pm 

Sorry. Typo got the best of me.

Try this. wwww.churchchillrivercanoe.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2004, 8:35 pm 

Hi sludge, unfortunately Ric only sells a 7.5 oz canvas and a nylon version these days due to the unavailability of egyptian cotton these days. I'll keep looking around and maybe I'll get lucky, I once found a cotton tarp at a garage sale that was 12 x 16' and quite light, however I learned that someone else's definition of dry was different than mine and the tarp mildewed and rotted when stored over winter after I lent it out. Part of the fun of all this for me is trying to find the materials and make them into something I can use. Thanks for the tip. Cheers
Sid

"There are no shortcuts to anyplace worth going"-unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2004, 10:12 pm 

Smokey,

you still have eyes to the South, you know....., you know....

I'll let you know, you know?!

:wink:

I guess bringing back the winter gets me through not having the Summer like i'd like.

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2004, 6:55 am 

I haven't found nothing in ripstop. I check every store I can find. One of these days. We are considering heading down to Hamilton and checking all the fabric shops. There's dozens of them on one street.
Probably do this in August. If I can find a large bolt of material, you are welcome to some. I need about 30 yds 60" wide for our next project. I will eventually find some.
Drove up north on business last week. Hit New Liskeard and Timmins. Nothing. On the way home we cut down 144 and cut off through Shining Tree back to hwy 11. Absolutely beautiful country. Got to explore this area more. Lots of water, lakes and great rivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2004, 9:17 am 

Quote:
I haven't found nothing in ripstop.

Merlin, I phoned Len's Mill Store here in Kitchener (519) 743-4672 and they have ripstop nylon. It comes 60" wide, and is 6.99 per yard. They have it in various colours.

Len's have stores in various cities around the part of Southern Ontario. I think Hamilton and Brantford have one as well.

If you wish I could go and get a piece for you and mail it to see if it is what you are looking for.

cheers

moe

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2004, 9:59 pm 

Hi Moe
I shouldn't say I haven't found any ripstop. Actually I found some last fall in Coburg at $3.99 per yd and didn't buy it. Don't ask me why.
I last batch I found I paid less than $2.00 per yd.
I think $6.99 is about what I pay at Fabric Land. Thats their regular price. I try not to pay anything more than 5 or 6 if I can.
Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 31st, 2004, 8:43 pm 

Has anyone used an Ice Box shelter?
Ive heard they are quite warm.
http://www.grandshelters.com/igloo-construction.htm