View topic - Winter Interior Access/Algonquin Hwy 60

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2004, 12:03 pm 

I've read the following excerpt from Algonquin's web page a few times now...and wondered how and where I'd plan for an interior overnighter in the winter as opposed to Mew Lake:

Camping in the Park Interior away from the Highway 60 Corridor is also permitted. The best way to access the Interior in the winter is on snowshoes. You may also wish to use one of the groomed ski trails to enter the Interior (no toboggans or snowshoes on the ski trails please!), but camping within sight or sound of the ski trails, or in trail shelters, is not permitted. Winter Interior camping is also not permitted on designated summer campsites nor within 30 metres of a lakeshore, trail, or portage. We recommend that you camp in low, sheltered areas where there is a good supply of standing dead firewood for warmth and cooking.

From what I gather here...what they're really suggesting is that you start out initially on one of the groomed ski trails [on skis]...and then breakoff at some point [on snowshoes]...to find your own way/place.

I guess another option would be to follow a portage in [on snowshoes]...if you knew it was relatively flat.

Anyone have some luck in this area...I'd like to get to the clearing of a small lake, etc...and am limited to the vicinity of the Hwy 60 corridor due to time constraints...however I did read that Barron Canyon Road is also plowed at this time on the east side.

Just looking for some general planning thoughts for now.

Thanks for the consideration,
-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2004, 2:36 pm 

I know its a little further to drive but maybe consider Algonquin Access 29 - at Kiosk. Although hwy 60 goes through the park, access 29 is at the northern most part of the park with less traffic. A few CCr members has winter camped there. OR, think about attending DF-05 around the end of February next year. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2004, 2:58 pm 

where is df-05 going to be?

Merlin...was reading some of your posts regarding sled construction...do you have pics of these?

Do you use the sled in conjunction with skis? Or does it also work with snowshoeing?

I'm still thinking about Hwy 60 access for some early short winter trips...(coming from Niagara Falls...this gives me relatively easy access to "get my feet wet")...well, hope not!

-Mike

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2004, 8:06 pm 

MVGMVG wrote:
From what I gather here...what they're really suggesting is that you start out initially on one of the groomed ski trails [on skis]...and then breakoff at some point [on snowshoes]...to find your own way/place.

What skiers don't want you doing is tromping over their track with snowshoes and a sled, for obvious reasons.

Don't you have a paddle that needs refinishing, or some recipes to test, jam to make, or something. Is the heat getting to you.

If you must keep thinking about winter do this - start looking at the garage sales for downhill skis or snow shoes. Check out the Value Village for winter clothing - down, fleece, poly Long John's, there's lots of them on the selves right now.

You know why there are lots of them on the selves - well never mind - keep dreaming and have fun planning, winter will be here before you know it. :clap:

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2004, 8:16 pm 

MVGMVG wrote:
I've read the following excerpt from Algonquin's web page a few times now...and wondered how and where I'd plan for an interior overnighter in the winter as opposed to Mew Lake:

Camping in the Park Interior away from the Highway 60 Corridor is also permitted. The best way to access the Interior in the winter is on snowshoes. You may also wish to use one of the groomed ski trails to enter the Interior (no toboggans or snowshoes on the ski trails please!), but camping within sight or sound of the ski trails, or in trail shelters, is not permitted. Winter Interior camping is also not permitted on designated summer campsites nor within 30 metres of a lakeshore, trail, or portage. We recommend that you camp in low, sheltered areas where there is a good supply of standing dead firewood for warmth and cooking.

We started from Kiosk in '98 & did a loop through Little Mink, Whitebirch, Club, Big Thunder, Erables, Maple, Three Mile, Manitou. It was basically a flatwater canoe trip on ice & the distance was possible because there wasn't much snow that year. I was an invitee & didn't make the decisions. I'm still wondering why we camped on lakeshores, on the ice & on a summer campsite on an island without enough trees for shelter or firewood.

At that time we were expected to get our permit at a main gate on hwy 60. That's rather impractical for a trip from Kiosk, so we didn't.

The lake trip was easy but I get bored silly & demotivated on lakes. I prefer bush trails & hills.