View topic - Hot tent cooking concerns

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2004, 3:38 pm 

Teepee design sounds intriguing...however, I read in Mason's book...Song of the Paddle...that you want to be leary of having the stove pipe emitting above the roof area...for concern of embers coming back down on it.

I suppose I could make one Richard....(my sister is an excellent seamstress down in Dallas, (of all places)...and I haven't ruled that out.

But for now I've just been ebaying for something that I can retrofit.

I'll have enough on my hands with the building of the sled and stove.

Thanks for the thoughts,

-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2004, 3:41 pm 

My winter tent is canvas, 10 X 12 I think. Easily sleeps four, plus adequate cooking room and room for wood and gear. My tent weighs more than Richards, but his sounds great too. Some of my friends use Egyptian cotton, but it is expensive and getting harder to find. Mine is a modified A, that is the end walls taper in also. The foot print is 10 X 12 but the ridge is only 6 feet. Plenty of room to stand and move around, but less volume to heat. Knock down aluminum tubes for the frame. It goes together quickly. Soloing is very doable, but sharing the tent on those long winter nights is half the fun. It's really nice to sit in shirt sleeves and tell tall tales and listen to the wolves. After we turn in for the night, we usually let the fire burn down. We use good bags, but there is always a bed of coals in the morning. It only takes a minute to throw some kindling on the coals and open the draft. Stick your arm back in the bag and POOF, in just a few minutes it's 70F in the tent.

As for cooking on the stove, we do everything on it. Steaks in a cast iron skillet,stew, coffee, bake in the reflector oven. It's better eating than I do at home.

If you can, get a copy of Conovers book. It is a must read. There are as many ways to equip yourself as there are people doing it. No one "right" way.

Enjoy yourself. Share it with someone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 16th, 2004, 12:29 pm 

Quote:
But for now I've just been ebaying for something that I can retrofit.

Quote:
I want to be able to solo and have minimal setup (as in self supporting poles that are brought in).

I took that same strategy in setting up my winter rig. I started with a two-person old-style
Woods' canvas pup tent, cut the floor in half down the middle and added an extension out of 7 ounce canvas off the back with an ordinary sewing machine. Thus a 5x7 became a 6x9 with added headroom. Because of the small size, the door is at the opposite end from the stove.

With two people, we do the cooking and eating first, then bring in the sleeping
bags and set up for the night. With the door and stove at opposite ends, there is no way for two people to have sleeping gear set up throughout the course of the evening.

With one person, there would be room to have your sleeping kit set up while doing the cooking, it would work well for base camping.

I set up the tent with a single ridge pole that is lashed to a tree securely at the stovepipe end and suspended by a rope from a branch or lashed to another trunk at the door end. It takes about 20 minutes by myself. Finding a ridge pole for a small tent of this size is pretty quick; comparatively it is harder finding a good stash of firewood for the evening, because any damp, punky or half green deadfall will do for the pole, but you like to have the driest, bark free wood you can find for burning.