View topic - Winter Camping Symposium

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Winter Camping Symposium
PostPosted: July 29th, 2004, 1:48 pm 

For what it's worth...The dates for the 5th annual Midwest Winter Camping Symposium are October 29, 30, 31. The symposium will be held at, the Beaver Creek Environmental Center, in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. I realize most participants of this forum live a considerable distance away, but ? The symposium has been moved farther South to (I think) make it available to a larger group of new participants.

For the last 4 or 5 years an interested group of winter camping enthusiasts and others who just want to learn more about it have gotten together in the Ely or Duluth, MN area in October. We feature seminar type sessions throughout the day on subjects ranging from dressing for the cold, to snowshoe techniques, to first aid, to warm weather tenting, to packing, hauling, and even building your own toboggan. Other topics might include Reading the Ice, menu planning or cold weather photgraphy. It is a very informal, hands on way to learn what others are doing. Each year we feature speakers who have experienced extended cold weather tripping for extended periods of time. We have heard from Will Steger and seen the premier showing of his Antarctic trip presentation. We have had Paul Shurke give presentations about extended dog sledding trips, but in my mind, the most beneficial has been the friendship that has developed with the Conovers, Garrett and Alexandra, who have written what is generally accepted to be the definitive cold weather camping text. The Conovers are certified Maine Guides, but annually take an extended trip lasting as long as 2 months to Northern latitudes. They travel by snow shoes, pull toboggans and utilize warm tenting. The thought being, if you eat and sleep warm each night, you can do much more "work" each day and not need to consume such enormous amounts of calories to stay warm. Additionally, thousands, tens of thousands of native people who live in Northern latitudes around the world, live this way every day. It is NOT survival living, although the skills learned will help you to survive if you find yourself in that position. It is living with a whole new set of skills which our ancesters used each day and which for lack of use we have forgotten (unlearned?) I believe Garrett has been to nearly all of our get togethers so far, and has become a friend as well as a gifted teacher.

Whether you are new to winter camping, or are a seasoned veteran, you would be welcomed and I think find much useful information. If nothing else, you would find another whole set of people with which to share your interests. Links to a web site with info, http://www.empirecanvasworks.com/

A link to the Conovers book can be found at http://www.empirecanvasworks.com/bcstor ... index.html

Join us if you can. It is a meeting of peers.