View topic - Stovepipe for Wood Stove

It is currently March 19th, 2024, 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Stovepipe for Wood Stove
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2004, 10:23 am 

Did some initial calls this morning to heating/air conditioning places for some 4" stovepipe which I'll need...

A question I got asked is what I'm burning...and when I told them it was for a wood stove...they told me I needed a heavier walled pipe for burning of wood...(that they only had thinner walled venting pipe).

Was wondering if some of you hot tenters out there...have just used more commonly available, thinner walled venting pipe...or if you'd recommend the heavier stuff?

It's not like this is getting repeated use as in a home...but thought I'd check with what others have used.

Thanks,
-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2004, 12:22 pm 

Mike
We use 4" galvanized pipe probably around 28 gauge. I can check tonight for you. As I told you in a earlier message I cut our pipe into 18" sections. Make sure each piece has a crimped end so the pipes can be joined. I leave the longitudinal seam open on each pipe so that the pipes can be nested inside each other and joined at camp. I usually take a few sheet metal screws for sucuring the pipes. You should also take some mechanics wire for hanging the pipes outside the tent. We take 5 pieces with us and 3 adjustable 90 degree elbows, although 2 would be sufficient. Do not use aluminum pipe. It will burn out immediately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2004, 12:30 pm 

Hi Dan,

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Sounds like what you're using, (+-28 gauge), is just the thinner walled venting pipe...would that be your guess?

While it's probably not "to code" with regard to use with a wood stove, think it's sufficient?

-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2004, 12:45 pm 

Take a look at Le Baron.

They have a telescoping pipe set. Works well and compacts into one sleeve and fits in your stove. $ 42.00 CDN

http://www.lebaron.ca/pdffiles/camping/air_heat.pdf

the elbow is separate i believe.....

[color=green]For love of the wilderness, A journey begins...[/color] [color=brown][b][Nature's Calling...] So get OFF(!) THAT(!!) THUNDERBOX !!![/b][/color]

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2004, 1:18 pm 

Yes I think that's what it is. Up here its stove pipe. Everyone buys this stuff for their ice-huts. Of course it would not be to code, it is certainly sufficient for our use. The other thing, is that since it is galvanized, its a good idea to burn the pipe in to eliminate the galvanized coating.

Georgi

I was not aware LeBarons carried telescopic stove pipe. Although, the $42.00 price tag seems a little steep. I think I paid something like $4.00 per 48" section and cut them into 18" sections, and I bought 5 pieces, and the elbows were ~ a couple bucks each. If a person knew anyone who could crimp the end of the pipes, you could save a few bucks.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2004, 2:21 pm 

Hi Dan,

Thanks again for getting back to me.

Just picked up some 26 gauge, (place was just down the street from where I work).

I dropped off a cardboard replica of the stove this wkend to the guy who's gonna fabricate it for me, (basically just a modification of Dave Hadfield's).

Anyways...thanks for the quick reply. Wanted to get some feedback on the pipe...and I can now bring it over to the fabricator so that he's got everything in his hands.

I considered making the thing myself...but getting down to the details of the door hinges and stuff....(I'll pass).

The sled, though, that's my ticket. (Sure am glad to have the time to just chip away at this stuff)

-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2004, 2:25 pm 

Mike, the one thing you have to keep in mind is bulk and weight. Always think of ways to keep the size down, like I said earlier about nesting the pipes. The stove has to be kept light as well. I think ours weighs about 12 lbs with the pipe and elbows. Possibly consider having your pipes fit inside the stove for transportation>?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2004, 2:32 pm 

Right....(thanks for mentioning how you cut yours down to 18 inches).

I'll be doing the same type approach, to nest within the box.

-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2004, 8:34 am 

Yes, the light-wall pipe is OK (as long as it's not aluminum!). As Dan said, it's not code, but so what? The sales people at the various stores will have no idea what you're talking about -- you're breaking new ground here.

I have never disassembled the stovepipe. I just transport the pieces in the stove which otherwise would be wasted space.

I got away with 3" pipe for a 9"x9"x 22" stove. No smoke problems, even with a stove-ring cutout for cooking. And this feature is one you'll want, or else it takes forever for water to boil.

Mind you, these little stoves need dry wood. You'll rapidly discover that it's worth walking an extra distance to find a perfect pole for firewood -- dry and hard and leaning up against something.

You asked about spacers previously.... I'll have to get back to you with a photo.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2004, 9:33 am 

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the add'l input.

One of my goals for late Summer and Fall trips is to get a little more proficient at splitting of wood.

Bill Mason in Song... has a few good pages on that, (52-53).

Anyways....thanks for the standing deadwood reference.

-Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26th, 2004, 1:00 pm 

If you want a real lighweight pipe try the titanium pipe from 4-dog stove company I hve one of there stoves and it is really amazing and very well built.
the pipe is titanium and everything fits inside the stove
Titanium changes all kinds of funky colors and is rally cool to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26th, 2004, 1:20 pm 

I would think this pipe is pretty pricey? Do they use the regular crimped ends for joining?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2004, 10:44 pm 

The new Home Depot here in Thunder Bay has 4 inch galvanized. I forget the gauge, but I think its the right stuff. (I'm presently OK for pipes for my stoves). Remember to use steel pop rivets, NOT aluminum for finalizing the pipe sections.

And they carry the oh so hard to find 26 gauge (heavy duty) universal elbow. It has the steel rivets. I bought one last winter for a spare. If that elbow is lost or damaged, your are in big trouble.

Most hardware stores sell a crimping tool. It looks like a sort of pliers. I have never used it, but this fall I have to customize some pipe, so I will get practiced.

4-Dog has Titanium 3,4 and 5 inch, and will taper a set for you on a custom job. I bought a custom tapered telescoping set, (robbed my life savings), but have not yet field tested it.