View topic - Travel fishing kit

It is currently December 13th, 2017, 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Travel fishing kit
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2008, 12:56 pm 

I have been looking around for a small travel kit (small collapsible rod, reel, small lure box in a case) but can't find too many. I have an old one but it's about finished.

Anyone have any links they would like to share?

Ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2008, 7:22 pm 

I did not think that you could still buy this?

http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages/po ... herman.htm

http://misabiadventurecompany.ca/

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2008, 7:23 pm 

Bass pro has a 4 -5 pc rod and a place in London has a 5 pc rod with a carring case that can hold a few lures. I also saw a crystal river set in wally mart that is 5 pc and is fly fishing and casting with a case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2008, 9:14 pm 

Oh my god ! Heavy k has finally seen the light ! He's in a CANOE in his avatar now. :clap:
Sorry , I'm in shock. :lol:

Back on topic now, Diawa make a nice little kit called the minispin- packrod and reel in a hard case with a compartment for tackle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2008, 10:20 pm 

I don't know if it is still available, but Canadian Tire used to sell a small backpack that came with a complete fishing kit... Rod, reel and a small plastic case for lures...

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2008, 12:07 pm 

Shimano has a telescopic rod which I have and find to be a great rod. However, I did recently see that they have a 5 or 6 piece rod that comes with a very small case that has space for a reel too. $89. steep, but if it saves you on space it may be worth it depending on what you are doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2008, 2:58 pm 

I find it very difficult to keep my travel fishing kit small. All the time I spend on the ocean requires heavy gear and many lures, add to this the occasions where I'll wish I had an ultralight rig for fresh water rivers and lakes I'll inevitably pass along the way and the best I can do is to either take quality gear or relegate myself to bottom fishing exclusively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2008, 4:11 pm 

If going light, I'll take a collapsible rod with a Shimano medium size reel. The better ones come with an extra spool. One spool with 6-8 lb test on it, one with 12-14 on it. It's 2 rigs in one. Only takes minutes to change. Leave a snap swivel on the end of the spool line, makes it easier to re-thread the rod too. Small snap box with a few swivels, sinkers, small-medium spinners, a couple spoons, some preserved minnows, couple surface luers, and a couple flies/streamers and some needle nose pliers/leatherman tool. You can catch just about anything freshwater. I've landed a 26 lb. chinook from a kayak with this setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2008, 4:16 pm 

I fish all the time on my trips, I use a two piece rod and spining reel loaded with spider wire( never know what you'll catch) I slip the rod Broken down ,in a pvc pipe(central vac pipe) attached by my seat to protect it.
I use a soft tacke pouch you can buy pretty well any where 10"x10"x2" , It can be roll and packed easyly and I just carabener it to the canoe.
I've been using this set up for a few years now and no complants.
Jerry

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 26th, 2008, 10:50 am 

I agree with taking the 2-piece rod.

Most moderately priced telescopic rods I've found to be of questionable quality, and the good ones are overpiced IMO. You can buy a decent quality med. light/medium action 2-piece rod for less than $50 which should be more than enough for your needs. I wouldn't go with anything less than a 6'6"

I would also recommend GWA's suggestion of grabbing a reel with two spools. Foxfire makes a good point about spooling one with spiderwire, however I would spool the other with a monofilament like trilene in at least 6lb test. I would also suggest taking some plastic baits, they're inexpensive and they work well on bass, pike & pickerel, and you won't cry after losing the 2nd or 3rd one on submerged log. Bottom line, you never know what kind of species you may encounter until you start casting, and taking a good cross-section of baits or lures is a good idea. I've casted into a weed bed in Crotch L. in APP with a med light action rod, with 4lb test on the reel after catching smallmouth all afternoon... and hooked into what looked like an 8+lb pike, unfortunately it snapped me off before I could land it.

Along with the small lure case, I'd also recommend a rod case, or making your own out of some light ABS tubing. I've heard the unnerving "SNAP" sound as I stepped on my rod on a portage only two days into a week long trip, and then had to break out the mulit-tool and epoxy, turning a 6'6" rod into a 6' rod.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Bill the Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 26th, 2008, 12:16 pm 

Telescopic rods do to tend to be expensive, or cheap junk. I've been through a few, and Eagle Claw actually makes a pretty good, cheap one if you can find it. I avoid their rods generally, but I really like this one. Medium weigh, I think it's 6' long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 26th, 2008, 1:15 pm 

Well, I take regular two piece rods with me, but here is what I put my tackle in:

Probably more than you want to take, but you could scale it down. I use one of the waterproof boxes from Plano. For the crank baits, I attach hook bonnets so it doesn't become a unmanageable mess of treble hooks. It floats (when closed), and fits into my fanny pack.

Hope this helps,

Thanks

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 26th, 2008, 2:42 pm 

Brian thats my pack on the right! I usually take some jig heads chartrues, yellow or white tails (power bait or gulp) and some crankbaits.
The spider wire is because 14lb test is the equivalent of about 4lb test diameter, so can be used for all and if you happen to get into pike they have a tough time cutting the line.
There is nothing like a 2 piece rod and if careful will last the trip.
Jer

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 26th, 2008, 3:27 pm 

I just attach my 2-piece right next to the gunnels with elastic or velcro. It's pretty well out of harm's way there.

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 26th, 2008, 3:50 pm 

Quote:
I've heard the unnerving "SNAP" sound as I stepped on my rod on a portage only two days into a week long trip...

The same thing happened to a good rod I took on a trip and I still haven't recovered from it.

[img]http://www.bearmountainboats.com/phpbb2/images/smiles/frightened[1].gif[/img]

So now it's a cheapie telescoping rod and a cheapie ultralite reel. They don't take much space, fit into a day pack, and if somebody steps on that, never mind.

One of these days I'm going to have a muskie on it and it'll probably be lost or the rod will break again... at least I'll have some fish to eat till then.