View topic - Elephant in the Room

It is currently December 13th, 2018, 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Elephant in the Room
PostPosted: July 8th, 2018, 10:27 am 

Krusty wrote:
(whew!)

<The following is said with a friendly, inquisitive, good-humored tone, as one might address a fellow paddler around the fire at night>

Can't decide if you are a Soros shill or a Russian troll! :wink: <this is intended to be humorous, not an ad hominem. Sheesh.>

Taken as such, товарищ. Indeed, my American friend and I will no doubt discuss this issue at length in such a place.

I usually find something about most political groups that makes me not want to be involved with any of them. So, neither a Russian troll nor part of the Sorority I am. I am pretty cynical about most groups to be honest. There is always some cool-aid one has to drink to join or something false to believe or some uncomfortable truth to be ignored; and I can't stomach any of those options.

Of course, Canadian companies have been rapacious in South America; we are currently selling weapons to the Saudis, who are certainly not a humanitarian regime. Indeed, I was traveling into Saudi Arabia from Bahrain during the Bahrain protests for democracy and open government; the Saudis, supported with American and Canadian arms, occupied the place to put down the protest - I was pretty sure at the time the armored personnel carriers in the Saudi convoy were made in Canada.

Canada is a bit like a Remora: it likes to eat the scraps the shark leaves behind yet feel proud that its not bad like a shark. There is certainly a lot of blame to go around in the international system beyond that given to Trump, though he deserves all he gets as well. He is unquestionably odious. But the present situation, Trump included, is not without some sort of historical explanation for how we got to this position and there is a lot of blame to go around.

A lot of people have been very quiet about bad things for many years in many places in order to ensure profitable trade all the while prancing about and praising the nation's outstanding morality (in contrast to the evil Americans and their empire). Canada is not calling for Henry Kissinger's arrest, for example; I am sure there are a few others like him who ought to be on that list too. I think it is this uncritical, ahistorical and decontextualized hypocrisy that irks me most about the nation's popular self-narrative. And it is during this period of Trumpidity that I see this narrative popping up again: the patriots are rallying for sure; but, perhaps it is time for a deeper analysis of our position. That, I think, was the point Minifie was trying to make in the book I linked to above.

Indeed, many Canadians, save for a few activists maybe, like cheap bananas in winter and seem not to care why those items are so cheap and why South America is so poor and violent with corrupt governments. Banana Republic, to most, is a clothing label. But these two things are not independent. People don't care to analyze the situation as much as they get angry when the prices go up.

Ken Taylor certainly ought not to have thrown the people to the mob; maybe. Depends on who they were I suppose.

It is important to not forget to ask: why was there a mob in the first place? Why is there an ISIS? An wave of refugees and immigrants from South America?

All the stories and movie about Ken Taylor pretty much ignore all that - they ignore, to use an anachronistic term, the 'root-causes'. But, we like cheap oil; so, better to look the other way.

There are a few people I might have thrown to the mob. William Calley Jr.: I'd probably would have tossed him to the mob. But, he got three years for a massacre of hundreds in his effort to expand the empire; so, I suppose that is justice. But one thing I do know is that there were no Canadian peacekeepers there to prevent that from happening.

Could Canada have altered the course of history? Perhaps; though, of course, this is certainly claimed to be the case by the national narrative. I mean, how could WW1 have ever ended and we be free without the victory at Vimy Ridge? But, at least if a more moral, and less business, agenda had been a priority at least it would have justified some of the high-mindedness the nation likes to extol in the national propaganda.

I think it would be a terrible for Trump to even finish his term; even worse if Trumpism continues as a multi-decade movement or orientation; but it would also be a shame if the Canadian response is merely degenerate flag waving or petty nationalism. Yes, let's have a 'trade war' - my biggest expense is not steel or milk, but rent or mortgages: but these are neither Americans nor Chinese trying to get as much money out of me as possible; they are other Canadians. I would think a civil-trade-war would have a far greater impact on my economic situation than tariffs on American whiskey.

Anyway, Trump is clearly a source for ill; though Canada is not as great a source of good as it likes to pretend.

Perhaps littleredcanoe's Robert Reich could be the next president: he seems a lot more sensible than the present one.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2018, 2:03 pm 

modustollens wrote:
Krusty wrote:
(whew!)

Perhaps littleredcanoe's Robert Reich could be the next president: he seems a lot more sensible than the present one.

Ha---pick almost anyone out of a crowd and they would meet that minimum criterion. It's just a bit above "must have pulse"

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2018, 2:27 pm 

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2018, 12:58 pm 

Things are about to get ugly
Word of the day.
Treason

PostPosted: July 17th, 2018, 2:23 pm 

Ah, treason schmeason. Just wait until Donald's "big, beautiful mall" is built. It'll be 2000 miles long and the news reports say the Mexicans are going to pay for it. Just think of the jobs that will create. There'll be doors on both sides so the retail money will come pouring in from both sides, the US and Mexico. No worries, that's what Donald was talking about with ole Putin, shopping at the mall. I'll bet they go vacationing there instead of the Appalachian trail. No sunburn and air conditioning, too. Geez, that's gonna be big, big enough for several Walmarts. Through hiking, I walked the Great Mall... yep, that's Donald, always good with real estate.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2018, 9:27 am 

Mmmm... tree bark, no chance of price inflation there. Gotta wonder when that shirtless Putin look's gonna become fashionable.

Quote:
July 20, 2018 8:17 am

Donald Trump says he’s willing to slap tariffs on every single Chinese product the U.S. imports

By Staff The Associated Press

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2018, 5:14 pm 

The U.S. & Mexico have sent aide in helping Ont with it's fires ..... THANK YOU!!!!!

I wonder if the retard knows the U.S. has done this?? Gotta believe that if smoke starts crossing into the USA he'll want to put a tariff on it.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2018, 7:39 pm 

With an attitude like that, let the GD place burn to ash.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2018, 10:48 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

take a deep breath or two, folks.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7