View topic - How long does West Systems keep unmixed?

It is currently November 21st, 2018, 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 18th, 2018, 9:45 pm 

If I have that stuff sealed and unmixed how long will it keep?

PostPosted: May 18th, 2018, 11:27 pm 

I've read (from long time boat builders) that it will keep a VERY long time....as in years and years. I've personally used two part epoxy that is more than 8 years old which seemed to look and work exactly the same as when it was factory fresh.

This is what West Ssystem say:

Storage & Shelf Life

Store at room temperature. Keep containers closed to prevent contamination. With proper storage, resin and hardeners should remain usable for many years. After a long storage, verify the metering accuracy of the pumps. Mix a small test batch to assure proper curing.

Over time, 105 Resin will thicken slightly and will therefore require extra care when mixing. Repeated freeze/thaw cycles during storage may cause crystallization of 105 Resin. Warm the resin to 125°F and stir to dissolve crystals.

Hardeners may darken with age, but physical properties are not affected by color. If clear finishing, be aware of possible color shift if very old and new hardeners are used on the same project.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2018, 7:45 am 

OK great. No reason for me to not have some kicking around for minor repairs and touchups and such

PostPosted: May 19th, 2018, 8:26 am 

The crystallization thing is a real issue however. I end up warming mine in a water bath to clear it up about every 6 months. This also frees up the pumps which tend to become jammed.

Kinguq.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2018, 10:14 am 

I've been in the marine industry for about 35 years and can confirm that 105 & 205/206 does indeed last for years..........that being said, if anyone is the least bit concerned, I'd be quite happy to rid you of any offending stock.....I won't even charge you the disposal fee !

Ken

PostPosted: May 20th, 2018, 6:47 am 

Something that happened with epoxy about five years old.. it didn't cure as clear as it did when new. This was on a dark black walnut paddle, the epoxy undercoat before varnishing that West describes for a longer-lasting finish. A cloudy surface that had to be sanded off if the dark tones of the walnut were to come through. Might not have been noticed on a lighter-toned wood like spruce but a definite downer after i had spent time searching for the perfect walnut board.

If you are uncertain that old pumps are still accurate in dispensing epoxy, or if you want smaller quantities than the pumps provide, weighing out the proper ratio of resin and hardener works. The exact ratio by weight is slightly different than by volume, check the technical spec sheet.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2018, 10:40 am 

I have some that is at least 10 years old. It still seems to work fine but is no longer clear. It is sort of a transparent brown.

Gary

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2018, 11:03 am 

I've had West hanging around for years and it's always been surprisingly good. It lives on the top shelve in the garage which is attached to the house but unheated in the winter. It also gets fairly hot in summer, so that might be incidentally taking care of any crystallization.

PostPosted: November 7th, 2018, 7:59 am 

Same here. At one point I had some that was 20 years old. The resin was normal enough and the hardener was ruby red. The colour doesn't mater much as the old formula wasn;t that great in direct sunlight. Real boats get painted anyway, ocean going coffee tables not so much. :)