View topic - Canoe length, efficiency, and speed.

It is currently November 21st, 2018, 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 8th, 2018, 3:05 pm 

Quote:
Even when you get a good design underway basically to find out which one works you need to build it.

I think that advice is spot on. I don't think you can say, "I'm going to design and build the perfect boat for xxxxx purpose" and then go out and do it in one shot. There are so many numbers and calculations that just don't mean anything when you're starting out (or even after designing a few hulls). You make a change to the hull, see the numbers change, and think:"well that's great, but what does it mean in the real world?"

So you've got to build the boat and paddle it a lot. Get to know how it feels and how it reacts under different circumstances. Then when you're building the next boat you've got this one as a reference for comparing numbers. The more boats you build and paddle the more numbers you can compare and the more you can predict performance by just looking at the computer.

That sounds really daunting but don't let it be. You don't have to design the perfect canoe. You only have to design and build one that's good enough that you can't justify building a "better" one. You can do that in just one or two shots.

I've designed and built a handful of canoes for myself. Some of them have been pretty standard and some have been like nothing you can buy. I've been very happy with the first copy of all of them. If I were to rebuild them there are changes I'd make but the originals are good enough that I don't feel the need to do so. Only once did I build a second time with minor modifications (which did noticeably improve performance). That's my main tripping hull that I use a lot so to me it was worth it. The other ones are hulls that don't see enough use to justify improving what I already have. But regardless each design/build greatly increased my ability to mentally convert those abstract design numbers and coefficients into real world performance.

I'd highly encourage anyone who is interested to buy a copy of Winters' "Shape of the Canoe" from Greenval and start playing around with designing your own hull. If nothing else the experience taught me that building a well performing and perfectly serviceable canoe is well within the means of regular people.

Alan

PostPosted: November 9th, 2018, 9:45 am 

Quote:
Moore is a master of pretty execution, but not (at least at the time he wrote Canoecraft) a master of design.

Steve Killing designed some of the canoes that Ted Moores at Bear Mountain Boats provides plans for... the Freedom solos and tandems and the Solotripper which IIRC is a fast daytripper design. Also the Chaa Creek racing canoes which I didn't check on. Some of the other traditional designs were modified or faired by SK as well.

Abitibi Co. is now building the Freedom tandems and the Split Rock which is the Solotripper at BMB (not sure whether the solo Mist is a SK design) and a test-paddle might give a clue whether it'd be suitable to build. Bear Mountain Boats and Abitibi both provide optimum capacity in pounds as well. BMB provides stability ratings, a calculation of stability by SK, again not sure what went into that.