Advertising

View topic - Travel fishing kit

It is currently July 28th, 2014, 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 1st, 2008, 7:48 am 

As an addition, Last year I took a single hinge and revited it to the gunnel in front of me on my left side. On the other side of the hinge I treaded two flat head bolts through and slip heat shrink over them.
This is my rod holder while paddling. I clost the hinge so the two bolts are upright and can place the rod between. And when not in use open the hinge so the bolts are folded down onto the canoe against the inside. Seems to work well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2008, 12:44 pm 

What's spider wire? Sounds like some kind of metal wire, but I haven't heard of the stuff.

Can it be used on an open-faced spinning reel?

Regards, Paul.

Located in Wellington, ON

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2008, 3:26 pm 

Spiderwire is a name brand of fishing line. It is very thin/light yet VERY strong.

I keep a spool of 4lb test in my fishing gear. I use it to create a short leader that won't spook the trout. I will quite often tie a fly on it and drop it in where there may be some brookies.

I've landed some fish that were over 4lbs using the Spiderwire as a leader ..... works great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2008, 3:58 pm 

inhaliburton wrote:
What's spider wire? Sounds like some kind of metal wire, but I haven't heard of the stuff.

Can it be used on an open-faced spinning reel?

Spiderwire is one of many new generation lines that is made from materials other than nylon. Traditional nylon fishing line is sensititve to knicks and abrasion. IMHO, spiderwire on an open faced reel is a nightmare for casting but ok for trolling. It is stiffer and likes to make rat's nests. I use berkeley vanish, which is tough but much more manageable.

Post subject: Re: Travel fishing kit
PostPosted: May 12th, 2010, 12:50 pm 

Adding my $0.02 to an old thread....

I just picked up a pen rod and bait cast reel from these guys
http://www.gofastandlight.com/Fishing/products/5/

Probably going to pick up the spin cast reel and see what thats like too.

The rod is pretty decent and collapses into itself, decent quality graphite setup. I haven't had a chance to test it out out yet.

I got this as a lightweight pack alternative to this combo from Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Last edited by Anonymous on September 1st, 2010, 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
removing url tags

PostPosted: September 1st, 2010, 12:02 pm 

I just picked up a collapsible rod for $2 at a local dollar store. Think i just got lucky there, as I've never seen anything like that at one before. Went to walmart after that and bought the cheapest reel they had, $8 (and its surprisingly decent). Total cost $10. Not the most professional rod but perfect for backpacking into algonquin.

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2010, 12:10 am 

I hate to say tis to ya bro....but ya get what ya pay for....I really do hope it works for ya...honestly I do.......

]

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2010, 6:50 am 

I use my ice fishing rods for backcountry trips. Fishing from a canoe and using these rods is much easier. I usually jig or slow troll with them so long casts aren't required. Landing fish is way easier too (on the occaisional time I catch them).

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2010, 8:14 am 

my buddy bought an el cheapo at C tire. Drag kept getting stuck---lost at least 2 expensive lures in snags because of it. Luck thing we were'nt catching any fish---he could have lost a real good one that way!! :D

PostPosted: September 2nd, 2010, 2:03 pm 

I had a buddy who showed up on a trip with some ancient pos rod and reel combo, which, as soon as it was assembled, instantly began to shed pieces, all of which were important. Lucky for him I always bring a spare setup so his trip wasn't ruined. We've all caught lakers big enough in Algonquin to destroy a crappy rod or reel. Kirk is right, you get what you pay for.... or, in the words of my brilliant buddy, Stevo, "you buy junk, you own junk".

Trev.

PostPosted: September 9th, 2010, 6:07 pm 

Generally you do get what you pay for. I just got back from 19 days in Quetico. A big part of the experience for me was the fishing so having quality equipment is important to me. Does it catch more fish than going cheap? I don't know but the quality of the experience is certainly different - for me anyway. I carried a good two piece spinning rod loaded with Berkeley Fire Tracer and I was delighted with the results. I love this braid - no birds nests, no back lash, no memory. I stored my rod, loaded and ready to go in a rod case (http://www.hardingandsons.com/BaitC.html) and it worked out really well - I had ready access and also peace of mind. I was able to get all my tackle into a small Plano belt (kinda junky but convenient and small. But when it comes to fishing gear to each his own - that's why there's chocolate and vanilla.

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2010, 6:32 pm 

Here's how I carry my regular rod. Difficult to damage in that position. I guess I could if I stepped down on it, but who would ever step into a canoe that close to the gunnels?

Attachments:
rod.JPG
rod.JPG [ 48.41 KiB | Viewed 869 times ]

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2010, 8:13 pm 

Hey Wotrock,
I have to ask if that's a real fish you're holding in your avatar. If it is, then I'm jealous but I can't help thinking that it looks more and more like one of the fish pillows Canadian Tire has once in a while. :D

PostPosted: September 22nd, 2010, 8:57 pm 

Hey, if you could zoom in on that pic you could see that my smile is mixed with the pain and strain of holding that big fish up while the camerman fiddles with the camera buttons!!

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2010, 7:16 am 

I was pretty sure it was real, but I got caught with a fake recently and I just had to double check. Beautiful fish and I am jealous.

Although I have to say that with the adrenalin flowing after catching that beauty holding it up would have been real easy. :D