Advertising

View topic - Top 4 vote-getters for the July 2010 Photo Contest

It is currently September 1st, 2014, 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Top 4 vote-getters for the July 2010 Photo Contest
PostPosted: August 8th, 2010, 6:07 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

The photographers of CCR once again graced us with some amazing images. Thanks to all the entrants! :clap:

Here are the top 4 vote-getters for July....perhaps the photographers could tell us a bit about their creations....

Luv2kanu (22 votes)

paddletothesea (15 votes)

shearjoy (13 votes)

jcw41 (10 votes)

All the entrants can be viewed in this thread.

I've added the usernames for each entrant in each Photo Contest Gallery. Please check and if I've made any errors, please let me know.

February

March

May

July

Post subject: Re: Top 4 vote-getters for the July 2010 Photo Contest
PostPosted: August 8th, 2010, 7:46 pm 

My photo of the reflections of some hills in a lake was taken from the spot that Franklin Carmichael, the Group of Seven painter, sat in 1935. There is a famous picture of him that has been discussed elsewhere on CCR.
I entered this photo because I was a little miffed that the McMichael Gallery curators didn't like this photo enough to put it in our Following in the Footsteps exhibition. :evil:
Jim

PostPosted: August 8th, 2010, 8:25 pm 

Mine was taken on the Black River (the one in central Ontario that starts up by the Frost Area and ends in Lake Couchiching). This is about 2 km downstream from Black Lake. The boat hull is actually fiberglass and it is in pretty good shape. I think that soil has washed into the bottom of the boat and the reeds have seeded there, rather than the reeds growing up through a hole in the hull. For me the interest in the image is in the contrast between the vibrant living green and the grey and orange of peaceful death. It makes me wonder what story the boat could tell. Since it is a fairly large boat (at least 16 feet) in a very small river (about 20 feet wide at this point) I suspect it washed away from Black Lake in a spring melt and finally came to rest here.

shearjoy Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. Thich Nhat Hanh

PostPosted: August 8th, 2010, 8:30 pm 

Congrats to the winners, great shots.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: August 10th, 2010, 2:14 pm 

I took my image while staying at a friend's cottage on an island in Georgian Bay just south of Franklin Island. The beautiful morning light striking the cedarstrip boat he built made it really glow against the weathered planks of the dock and boat house. Sadly he passed away from cancer a few years ago, but his memory lives on every time I look at this image which I have mounted on my wall at home. The boat itself was fairly challenging to paddle, especially out on Georgian Bay.

PostPosted: August 10th, 2010, 4:16 pm 

Luv2kanu wrote:
The beautiful morning light striking the cedarstrip boat he built made it really glow against the weathered planks of the dock and boat house.

I voted for it even suspecting it had probably been photoshopped. Knowing that it's all natural light makes this photo brilliant. Sorry to hear about your friend.

Kudos to all submittors.

PostPosted: August 30th, 2010, 1:14 pm 

open_side_up wrote:
Luv2kanu wrote:
The beautiful morning light striking the cedarstrip boat he built made it really glow against the weathered planks of the dock and boat house.

I voted for it even suspecting it had probably been photoshopped. Knowing that it's all natural light makes this photo brilliant. Sorry to hear about your friend.

Kudos to all submittors.

I would still have to suspect it is photoshopped. Looking at the sky and the far shoreline, it sure looks like the photo has been made black and white with the exception of the canoe. Still very beautiful shop, but if the morning light illuminated the canoe, I would expect more of the landscape to be illuminated as well.

PostPosted: September 15th, 2010, 12:33 am 
CCR Site Administrator

The winning photo is now posted on CCR's home page (sorry to take so long!) for everybody to enjoy!

luv2kanu's winning photo