Advertising

View topic - Cool Northern Lights time lapse video

It is currently November 1st, 2014, 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cool Northern Lights time lapse video
PostPosted: April 7th, 2011, 12:43 am 

Taken last night (April 5th/6th) between around midnight until just after 3 am. I woke up around midnight to my wife's snoring, and before settling in on the couch, I looked outside. I went out into the backyard (we live on the last street in town) and set up the tripod. The aurora was very bright, and we've been lucky in that the street light right on the end of our driveway has been burnt out for about a year. I always tell the utility district guy that there is no rush in replacing it, we (both my wife and I as well as all our neighbors) prefer it out. Shot with a Nikon D5000, 18-55mm lens (I know, time to upgrade), ISO 1000, f3.5, 13 sec exposures taken every 30 seconds. Mostly green auroras. I know I'm very lucky to be able to watch these type of shows literally 15 feet from my doorstep.

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x226/low-1_bucket/Northern%20Lights/?action=view&current=April6thLights.mp4

I'm getting so many awesome shots courtesy of Mother Nature, I think I'm just about ready to try to start doing something semi-professional. Steve E, I might be bugging you some time for tips and pointers!

Hope you all enjoy!

Post subject: Re: Cool Northern Lights time lapse video
PostPosted: April 7th, 2011, 7:10 am 

Pretty neat - especially when one realizes that the stars are drifting across the sky as picture after picture is snapped.

You are one hardy soul, Tony! Thanks....

PostPosted: April 7th, 2011, 10:10 am 

Wow, now that would be worth losing some sleep over. When my wife snores I get to go to the couch and hear the coyotes sometimes. Thanks for taking the time to post that. :thumbup: Looks like you also captured a meteor near the end of the video.

Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out.
John Wooden.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2011, 10:40 am 

Skeeter wrote:
Wow, now that would be worth losing some sleep over. When my wife snores I get to go to the couch and hear the coyotes sometimes. Thanks for taking the time to post that. :thumbup: Looks like you also captured a meteor near the end of the video.

Behind our house, there is our backyard, then about 40 ft of trees, then a cemetery. I've often set up back in there because there are no lights, and pointing to the East you completely miss the haze of the town lights. From a few of the time lapse ones that I've done from there, it's absolutely insane the amount of crap that's flying around up in the sky. Planes, satellites, shooting stars, asteroids. It's almost none-stop.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2011, 5:56 am 

Very cool Low1! Thanks!