View topic - Lazy Cabbage Rolls

It is currently November 23rd, 2017, 3:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lazy Cabbage Rolls
PostPosted: June 21st, 2011, 5:18 pm 

A camping recipe I thought I'd share.

Lazy Cabbage Rolls

1 - small head of coarsely cut cabbage (dehydrated)
2 - large cans of tomato sauce (dehydrated and ground into powder)
1 - can diced tomatoes (dehydrated)
1 - pound lean cooked ground beef (dehydrated)
1 - package of Uncle Ben's precooked heat and serve rice
1/3 cup - dried onion flakes
Some - salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika

NOTE:

When drying the cabbage, fill the trays up! The trays should be overfilled. Cabbage dries really well and you'll end up with next to nothing after it dries. You should end up with one medium freezer bag of dried cabbage for every single head of cabbage dried.

Layer the cabbage on each tray very thickly. One head will fit in a four tray dehydrator and look very overfilled as the trays will not nest properly if at all. Trust me, it will not look that way the next day after it dries. Cabbage dries down really small.

Dry the tomato sauce as leathers and grind them into powder using a blender or other similar device. Turning it into powder speeds up the re-hydration process. Store the powder in it's own bag.

How to Cook

Rehydrate the cabbage, diced tomatoes, ground beef and onion flakes in a single pot with warm water.

After about four hours or soaking bring the mixture to a boil to cook the cabbage. Cook until the cabbage is heated well but not cooked to the point of being soggy. El Dante is best.

Drain the water off into a separate pot leaving enough water equal to half the height of the mixture in the pot.

Stir in the tomato sauce powder a bit at a time. As the sauce thickens, slowly add in small amounts of the drained water as needed while adding the tomato powder until you get the desired consistency. Always add water sparingly. It's easier to add a bit of water than it is to boil it off.

Then add in the the package of rice, some salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika to taste.

Gently heat for another 5 to 10 minutes and serve.

Other Uses for Dehydrated Cabbage

Dehydrated cabbage can also be used as a coleslaw too. Just rehydrate the cabbage for three or four hours in water, drain and then add in your favorite dressing.

Dave

Post subject: Re: Lazy Cabbage Rolls
PostPosted: June 21st, 2011, 6:47 pm 

yummy :clap:

http://misabiadventurecompany.ca/

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 10:00 am 

I'm pretty sure that this is the version I made a couple of years ago for friends on our annual fall canoe trip and it was a big hit. I just put this summer's version for my family trip on the dehydrator. I need more trays for the dehydrator, then I could do it all in one go.

Thanks for posting this!

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 10:25 am 

Bryan we did that recipe of Dave's this spring. It kept very well during the long drive to Utah and the trip on the Green.. we had it the last day.

It was yummy but I had to adjust a bit for two..One can of tomato sauce would have been enough. And I never got the sauce to powder. It leathered well and kept well.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 10:37 am 

Yeah, I was going to skip grinding the tomato sauce since it seems like it should work OK just as leather. Good to hear that 1 can of sauce is enough.
Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 10:41 am 

It seems like the recipe as described should feed at least 4 very hungry folks, does that sound right or could it be scaled back a bit for a family of 4, with other food being also served?

Actually now that I think of it, I've made this twice. I remember the first time I had a huge amount of food and we all had lazy cabbage rolls for breakfast, and maybe even lazy cabbage roll wraps for lunch. That was the last day of the trip. I must have passed out in the vehicle on the way home because there's no way that could have been good and I don't specifically recall any issues.

Cheers,
Bryan

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 10:42 am 

Tomato sauce or tomato paste?

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 12:58 pm 

I used sauce.. I would remember paste cause it would have been a PITA to paint the paste onto dehydrator sheets.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 1:13 pm 

I was wondering how readily I could substitute on for the other - seems pretty readily.

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/fresh- ... -sauce.htm
Quote:
When making tomato sauce from tomato paste, there's some good news and some bad news. Because tomato paste is a concentrated form of tomato puree, you can dilute it to the consistency of tomato sauce without much fuss. Adding one cup of water to three-quarters of a cup of tomato paste will result in a tomato base with the same texture and thickness as tomato sauce (after some brisk stirring). It won't taste exactly like tomato sauce, though.

Tomato sauce is a seasoned product. The flavor may vary a little from brand to brand, but most varieties will taste sweeter, saltier and more savory than plain, diluted tomato paste.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 2:12 pm 

No cook rice, I've never heard of "Uncle Ben's precooked heat and serve rice"

instant or parboiled, yes, but it does require a short cook time, but no cook - is this something new?

I checked the Uncle Ben's site and I assume you are referring to READY RICE. -- Heat on HIGH for 90 seconds (obvious microwave directions) or in a skillet, Stir rice occasionally until heated thoroughly.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2014, 2:22 pm 

yes,Ready rice is new.. Having tried to take along precooked spaghetti with clam sauce and finding it awful ( on a canoe trip things generally taste better but this was awful in texture and taste) I just added instant brown rice during the rehydration process.

Cooking then for five minutes made the rice (that was in with all the rest of the ingredients) perfect.

PostPosted: July 4th, 2014, 1:34 am 

Got to vote a big negatory on those cabbage rolls good buddies. That is if you don't want to gas out a perfectly good tent mate. Ditto for chilli too. Even having a bit of an issue with some of that cheap yellow label kielbasa loaf I picked up the other day. All good camping food but not so good tent food if you get my drift.

PostPosted: July 4th, 2014, 6:55 am 

canoetripper wrote:
Got to vote a big negatory on those cabbage rolls good buddies. That is if you don't want to gas out a perfectly good tent mate. Ditto for chilli too. Even having a bit of an issue with some of that cheap yellow label kielbasa loaf I picked up the other day. All good camping food but not so good tent food if you get my drift.

See other thread re bowel..

Your bowel may vary.. We had no such issuance.. er issue..

PostPosted: July 4th, 2014, 8:53 am 

Quote:
All good camping food but not so good tent food if you get my drift.

Also not to be ignored is the fact that that the, uh, tent pollutants here are methane, a deadly greenhouse gas. That methane being released nightly, besides choking your tentmate half to death, may also be killing polar bears. And making life miserable for the mosquitoes up there inside the tent. Dear Gawd, think of the wildlife, how they must suffer with their ultra-sensitive sense of smell, after millions of years of olfactory evolution, they have to live with something like that while searching for a few scraps of food left behind at the campfire.

The howwah.

(not being 100% percent serious with this thread)...

:wink:

PostPosted: July 5th, 2014, 1:08 pm 

frozentripper wrote:

(not being 100% percent serious with this thread)...

:wink:

I'm glad you said that, but sad that you felt a need to! :P

Old canoeists never die---they just smell that way.