View topic - 3 day circuit La Verendrye?

It is currently April 21st, 2019, 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 18th, 2011, 12:56 pm 

I've gone to La Verendrye a couple of times but have only paddled #10 and #11, both over two days although we could probably do either in a day if it wasn't too windy or rainy. We'd like to go back with some friends for three days who don't have much paddling experience but are fit. I've got the maps and have been looking at #15, #30, #34. #15 looks like it might be a little boring since so much of it is area we've seen already and it's the most traveled area. #30 and #34 are completely new areas to us, has anyone done them both? #34 is groomed annually, and #30 every three years. Which would offer the best overall experience? Any nice beach camps on either? We prefer small creeks over big windy lakes :) Any other routes you suggest for 3 days? We'd like to keep it around 40-50K. Thanks!

PostPosted: May 19th, 2011, 4:02 pm 

qwimjim wrote:
We prefer small creeks over big windy lakes

At La Verandrye its hard to do. La Verandrye has some monter size lakes. My biggest advice in there is get up early, paddle in themorning and get off the water by 2-3 and you can usually avoid the worst of the wind, unless its a really windy day.

30 - is pretty standard La Verandrye, there aren't to many creeks on that trip, just BIG lakes, but there are some nice campsites. One thing about it (and some other routes in the area) is the protage between Nichotea and Canimina goes right past/through two fishing camps. I find it messes with my wilderness vibe.

34 - is one of the circuits I have yet to do because of its proximity to the highway at one point. But it has smaller lakes and creeks that look fun.

You could also consider 35 which has the Carriere creek for 10klms of the route. I have done this one in 4 days and felt like I was going slow, if your firends are fit and can keep a canoe going in a straight line you could do this one in 3 days. It has some nice spots along it too, but it would mean longer paddling days.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2011, 8:38 pm 

hmm, #35 in three days? it has some rapids, dams, etc.. we don't have a ton of experience with that kind of stuff, the only rapids we've paddled are the ones on #11. can they all be avoided/walked around or are some mandatory to paddle through? any beaches? thanks!

PostPosted: May 20th, 2011, 9:37 am 

There's a fantastic beach campsite on a point at the north end of Lac Carriere on circuit 35. The lake can get quite windy. IIRC, you can portage or line all the rapids on the creek.

There are also lots of nice beaches on Lac Grand and a big one at the east end of Canimina on circuit 30. I don't have it with me but I think the circuit map shows where the beaches are, and which campsites have beaches.

Not as many beaches on circuit 34, I think one or two on Lac Nizard (and since this route cuts through one end of Lac Grand you can get to those beaches too) but if you like small twisty creeks then Ruisseau Moran is for you.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2011, 1:48 pm 

15 is fantastic, i love it. 15-53 might be the nicest place to camp in the entire first map. After that point there 3 fun rapids and great fishing. I like to cut in and do the portage on the last day, and have the small straight, as opposed the the large Jean Pere

34 is what your looking for. Tons of small creeks, but the downfall is that it doesnt feel as remote as the other loops at some points. 30 is all big lakes, hope for no wind, but great beaches (much like 15-53, minus the bears).

Doing these trips in 3 days is no fun. You can go camping to do the loop, and strive to reach your daily destination, or mellow out and enjoy the trip. Only in the latter will you truly appreciate your surroundings, and realize the purpose of canoe campings is not acheiving a good km/day average.

PostPosted: May 24th, 2011, 3:12 pm 

Thanks for the advice, looks like we will give #34 a shot, but the proximity to the roads and highway is a concern. Does anyone have any campsites they recommend or really don't recommend? I'm assuming the standard route is to put in on Portage and paddle clockwise to Barrage? Is there anywhere else we can park/put in along the route?

PostPosted: May 24th, 2011, 5:50 pm 

Clockwise is good, but the map is decieving. Many of the portages can be avoided by walking your canoe through a parallel stream or going into a tunnel. I enjoy this circuit a lot, and the road is not much of a bother, other than the first day.

The last portage can be avoided all together. I parked the canoe, and brought my car there. I think you'll like this loop, especially if all you've experienced is 10 and 11. Its definetly more remote than those two. I loved the neandering creek through the tall grasses.

Have a great trip and feel free to write up a report afterwards. I would love to hear about the sites you stayed at.

PostPosted: June 6th, 2011, 9:22 am 

so we had a great weekend, bit of a late start getting out of the city so we only got in the water around 3:30. we were the only ones there that weekend, staff told us no one had done the circuit this year. paddled to the island campsite 34-23, took about two hours. always fun to stay on an island. nice campsite, has a great rocky peninsula, no bugs, good tent pads. next morning we set off with the goal of reaching 30-10 which was 28k away i think. i thought it would take 6 hours but it took 8, our pace was fairly relaxed and the creeks take quite a while a while to get through. there were 3-4 beaver dams along the way, and a LOT of mosquitos and black flies. we walked our canoes down the stream instead of doing the 360m portage to lac quenelle. only one leech in our party of 4, it was a lot of fun, water was warm. the creek between lac mitchell and lac duman was something else, hope you're good at steering your canoe :) very twisty. we stopped for lunch on a beach on the peninsula before camp 34-51. i think it took us 5 hours to get to this point, we stopped for about 45 minutes, then it took a little over two hours to get to 30-10.

it's a great campsite, big clearing in the woods, and a small beach. it was definitely buggier than the previous campsite but i think any campsite would be compared to a small island site. we had a very lazy morning on the third day and set off around noon, took about an hour to reach the end of lac au barrage. we opted to skip to portage and headed for the landing a bit left of it. i don't know if it was any easier than the portage but we brought our gear up the road a bit past the hill while someone went to get the car parked at lac portage. i wouldn't recommend driving your car all the way down to lac au barrage, the little hill right before the lake is really rutted and most cars would bottom out on it. it's great for portage though, probably around 100-120m from the lake to the top of the hill where you can load your car. and thats about it! fun loop, you only notice the highway for about an hour at the beginning on lac portage, and you'll spend about half your time on small lakes and creeks, lots of variety. thanks for all the advice!

PostPosted: June 6th, 2011, 1:35 pm 

Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
I dont remember the hill being so bad, but I treat my car a little rough. Good timing too, impressive daily km.

PostPosted: June 7th, 2011, 8:07 am 

gcc_mtl wrote:
Glad to hear you enjoyed it.
I dont remember the hill being so bad, but I treat my car a little rough. Good timing too, impressive daily km.

it's in really bad shape, big ruts and big rocks, maybe they'll fill it in at some point. i wouldn't recommend 28km in a day, but the forecast was for rain on sunday so we decided better to get as much paddling in while the weather was nice, and we knew 30-10 was a nice site with a beach so it was a good goal. if i did it again and there was no risk of rain i'd camp at 34-52 on day 2.