It is currently November 19th, 2019, 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: April 30th, 2009, 3:34 pm 

Looking at that image, I would say avoiding the river right section of the confuluence makes sense. However, where you turn from river left on Harrison to meet the fraser will proball be funny to. Pull out a short distance upstream and look at it if it looks concerning, you can always carry the boat around the point, paddle upstream, then ferry to fraser river left to avoid the confluence water.

Aaron

PostPosted: April 30th, 2009, 3:42 pm 

Good point --- thx, Aaron.
I guess one advantage of river paddling is that land is never more than a few strokes away, so it makes sense to capitalize on that and frequently come ashore and scout ahead by walking along the bank (where possible, of course).
On the ocean, you're often a half hour's paddle from land in any direction, lol ...

Mariners must navigate these waters the same way a mouse negotiates a kitchen patrolled by cats: by darting furtively from one hiding place to the next.
"The Golden Spruce", John Vaillant

PostPosted: April 30th, 2009, 7:22 pm 

Yes, it is a very different mindset, but the skills and experiences do complement each other very well once you wrap your head around the main characterisitcs of each medium. Speaking of ocean, I am leaving next week on a 10 day canoe trip around Louise Island on Haida Gwaii to break in a new hellman cruiser and homemade spray deck!

Aaron

PostPosted: April 30th, 2009, 7:46 pm 

Hey Tom, Sorry 'bout that... :oops: I mis-read your original post and thought you were coming down the Fraser.

What you've drawn is exactly what I would do.

Only thing I would add would be to possibly line your boat or carry around the corner when you start upstream on the Fraser's river right. It would be horrible to get pulled into deeper water just above the confluence of the two rivers.

Just a wee bit off topic...Hey Aaron, if you have enough hours in?...How do you like your Cruiser? Loved the Stikine trip report shots. Already looking forward to the HG pics... maybe?,Possibly? PLEASE? :D

PostPosted: April 30th, 2009, 8:42 pm 
CCR Assistant Administrator

aaront wrote:
I am leaving next week on a 10 day canoe trip around Louise Island on Haida Gwaii to break in a new hellman cruiser and homemade spray deck!

Looking forward to reading the trip report and seeing the photos. :wink:

Barbara

PostPosted: April 30th, 2009, 10:13 pm 

Yeah, I'm bringing rope in case I need to line around stuff and will keep that in mind about the point.

Aaron --- what an awesome trip, good luck and take tons of photos. I hope the weather is good, this time of year can be nasty (as can any time of year in the Charlottes, lol).

Mariners must navigate these waters the same way a mouse negotiates a kitchen patrolled by cats: by darting furtively from one hiding place to the next.
"The Golden Spruce", John Vaillant

PostPosted: May 1st, 2009, 9:18 am 

I will take photos, but sadly those Stikine shots were largely the product of a friend. Not many miles on the cruiser yet, the stikine was in a solo boat. What time I have spent felt really good. Crisp, fast and loads of room. Probally a month before I return and get around to posting, but I will. The Haida Gwaii trip is with a friend who is about to get guiding tenure in Gwaii Hannaas for canoe trips. He is looking into offering some longer trips than the other kayak tours are, 14+ days...Could be the first commercial ocean canoeing outfiit on the west coast???

Re: weather, I had one long boat based work trip on the central coast where we had sun straight for 20 days. Nothing like the coast on blue bird days! Our last day, the 21st, rained buckets and was a good reminder to not count your chickens before they hatch.

Aaron

PostPosted: May 1st, 2009, 9:19 am 

I will take photos, but sadly those Stikine shots were largely the product of a friend. Not many miles on the cruiser yet, the stikine was in a solo boat. What time I have spent felt really good. Crisp, fast and loads of room. Probally a month before I return and get around to posting, but I will. The Haida Gwaii trip is with a friend who is about to get guiding tenure in Gwaii Hannaas for canoe trips. He is looking into offering some longer trips than the other kayak tours are, 14+ days...Could be the first commercial ocean canoeing outfiit on the west coast???

Re: weather, I had one long boat based work trip on the central coast where we had sun straight for 20 days. Nothing like the coast on blue bird days! Our last day, the 21st, rained buckets and was a good reminder to not count your chickens before they hatch.

Aaron