It is currently November 11th, 2019, 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 18th, 2011, 7:38 pm 

Hello,
I've been thinking about relocating to Kelowna from Ontario. However, I would like to know if there are any weekend-warrior suited flat water canoe routes within a couple of hours of Kelowna. I've been browsing the routes section, but many of the routes described seem to be a long way from Kelowna. Part of my criteria for moving is to be closer to good paddling destinations.

Any information would be appreciated

PostPosted: May 19th, 2011, 10:01 am 

Not really my area but Bowron lakes comes to mind as does the area around Clearwater.(Wells Gray PP). The Columbia River has some good trips on it just east of Kelowna.

Hugh

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
M.T.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2011, 1:19 pm 

Check out the Similkamine south and west of the Okanagan. The east side of the Okanagan lake is still pretty unpopulated and that is a long lake. multi day paddles are a definite possibility.
for more adventurous souls the Granby near Grand Forks and there is a lovely little river near Highway 33 one valley east of the Okanagan. I don't recall the name offhand but have looked at it for years when I did not have time to paddle it and it looks like a gooder.

It isn't considered windy here until there are whitecaps on the toilets.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2011, 3:15 pm 

Well i live in the west kootenays which is 4-5 hrs east of Kelowna. Plenty of stuff around here in the form of lakes and one very nice river, The Slocan River. Because of the mountainous terrain of bc you may have to go a bit farther to find gentler rivers. Plenty of white water. Early or late in the season things are relaxed. There is stuff in and around the Okanogan. I'm part of West Coast Paddler forums. Mostly sea kayakers on the west coast but there is a strong contingent in kelowna and if you wrote in on that forum you would be sure to get some answers. Off the top of my head i can think of the Okanagan Lakes proper, then up in the Vernon to Arrow lakes area there is Sugar LK and Mable LK ,,Whatshan Lk. Thompson River north of Kamloops for the spring and fall. Adams Lake and Shushwap lake about 2-3 hrs north of Kelowna. Many of the lakes are unpopulated but do have Forestry rec sites sprinkled here and there. There's also Murtle lake about 4 hrs north in Wells Grey Park with is a non motorized travel only lake. Of course then there's the west coast, 4-5 hrs from Kelowna. Hope this helps
bill

"www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

PostPosted: May 20th, 2011, 5:29 pm 

Don't move from Ontario to BC if you have high expectations for wilderness camping by canoe!

I grew up in Winnipeg paddling long wilderness trips throughout the Canadian shield - quiet wilderness, warm water, etc., you could just buy a map and disappear on a great little (or big) trip somewhere. In BC it's not like that: you share just about everywhere with forestry roads and/or power boats. It seems like every valley has a highway down one side and a railway down the other. It is not easy to find wilderness get-aways that compare to the shield.

That said, there are advantages to BC and its valleys, the mountains are beautiful and the whitewater is great, and of course there is great hiking, skiing, and biking too.

I miss the wilderness camping that was so accessible from Winnipeg. However, I don't miss it too much, because I've had such a blast getting addicted to playing on these rivers in ww solo boats, which was never my intention as far as canoeing goes - so you never know, maybe you'll move out here and get more into whitewater or something else.

Pat.

PostPosted: May 21st, 2011, 10:49 am 

yarnellboat is right not a lot of short trips here. that said kelowna has lots of great outdoor activities to enjoy. some small trips can include emar lakes , lupin lakes canoe routes and murtle lake up in wells gray park. all with in 2 to 3 hours of kelowna. i dont have any info on emar or lupin routs but if any one does please post.

spudly

PostPosted: May 25th, 2011, 8:22 pm 

Thanks very much for the information.

I zoomed in on some of the above mentioned lakes in Google and saw what appeared to be hundreds upon hundreds of logged areas. Is that what those patches on the landscape are? If so, I had no idea that the logging was so extensive.

I don't doubt that I will find plenty of other outdoor activities to do in BC. It's an incredibly beautiful place.

PostPosted: July 4th, 2011, 3:15 pm 

I have paddled on Adams Lake and most lakes in the Wells Gray Provincial Park (Clearwater, Azure, Murtle, Mahood). You can reach the head of Clearwater Lake in about a 4 hour drive from Kelowna. As it is in a prov park you have to pay. You can paddle up the lake an either try to paddle up river ofr take the portage in Azure Lake. Great paddling and can easily take up to a week. Murtle Lake is also excellent. There is lots of info on the web.
I too came from Manitoba and agree with the previous comments on wilderness, but BC does have some advantages!
Happy Paddling!
Roy

PostPosted: July 11th, 2011, 1:32 pm 

Check out BC parks website...
There are lots of lakes and some great rivers:
Kalamalka Lake, Mabel Lake, Adams Lake, Columbia River, Okanagan Lake!! and as previously mentioned Wells Gray Park. Lots of canoeing. BC needs more canoeists...

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2013, 10:47 pm 

Does anyone know how long the Emar Lakes Canoe Route is? I have searched and searched but can't find the distance, and the map that the Provincial Park has does not have a scale on it so I can't figure it out from that either.

Thanks,
Nancy

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2013, 11:43 pm 

Use google earth. Great for measuring.

Emar loop can easily be done in a day. The only decent site we saw on the loop was on the peninsula on Emar lk. Small and quaint.
There's a rec. site on Long/Janice Lk. for the car or camp.

Nice little loop though.