It is currently July 21st, 2019, 2:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 31st, 2011, 2:01 pm 

and I'd like to know if there is a portage that will allow parts of our party to avoid the Cariboo river? or at least avoid the faster spots... Any info is much appreciated..

Jim C

PostPosted: August 1st, 2011, 5:40 pm 

You can't avoid the Cariboo. That said, it is dead easy. If you can steer a canoe. You can do the river. The park operators remove sweepers as necessary as they are well aware of the caliber of some canoers who do the route. In the fall water levels and flows are mellow. All you need is one sternman/person per boat who can steer. Go. You won't regret it.

PostPosted: August 2nd, 2011, 4:54 pm 

Yep, no way around paddling it. The only way around it is to go way up and over a ridge between McCleary and the Cariboo River. I did that two winters ago on skis, not a viable option at all with a canoe.

Stencil summed it up good. Be aware, and as long as you have intermediate steering skills, there will be no problem running it. It is not real fast, but is swift and strong. Worse case scenario if you swim is there is an enclosed shelter fairly close on Lanezi Lake that is great for drying out. :)

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: August 13th, 2011, 6:53 pm 

I'll third Stencil's assessment. Occasionally people do capsize on the Cariboo. But you have to factor in that for some people it is their first paddling trip, some people are just dumb, and some screw up, or some combination of those.

If you want to be doubly safe/capable, you have a year to brush up on backpaddling. Backpaddling will give you time to sort out the route ahead and doesn't count unless you can steer the canoe while doing it. Don't go rushing down the river paddling hard to make speed just because you're nervous.

The only time we've had a concern on the Cariboo, we just landed on a gravel bar to figure out which channel to take ahead.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2011, 12:36 pm 

Is there anyone heading up to Bowron this September who would like to hook up with someone as a second boat? Im hoping to head up there but figured it might be an idea to have another boat there on a section like this. Its my first trip up there. I have decent river experience kayaking but not canoeing. Im figuring a second set of eyes on a section like this is just good piece of mind

PostPosted: August 21st, 2011, 7:19 am 

MacTire,
If you can't find a second boat don't worry. All you have to do is wait at McLeary lake and tag along with someone else as they do the river section. Again this is very easy river travel. There are no rocks or rapids. If you can place your boat in the middle of the current and keep it there you will be fine. If you are feeling uncertain get some practice on a local river or get some instruction on basic moving water before you go. There are many reasons why the Bowron keeps showing up on best canoe trip lists. It is suitable for people with modest canoeing skills and the scenery is jaw-dropping. Personally I would be more concerned with wind on the big lakes. It can really blow, but if you get up early you can make some miles before the winds kick up. And if it is blowing too hard just hang out on shore and watch the world go by. Have a good trip and let us know how it went.

PostPosted: August 21st, 2011, 1:29 pm 

Cheers Stencil I appreciate that. To be honest I have enough experience from home but im potentially bring gf who isnt that experienced in a canoe. I dont mind the wind as Ill be sticking to the shore the whole way. I once did a 3km adventure race in force 4 across a lake anyway. Paddle Paddle Paddle, Bail Bail Bail all the way. Great fun

Im gonna grab the guide book and do some proper prep anyway. I know in September the rivers are low, so it shouldnt be too bad.

Thanks again

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 2:14 pm 

I meant to ask, does anyone have the Chris Harris guide book on Bowron lakes? Anyone who is living in Vancouver that is. Im looking to buy/take a loan of the book. I cant seem to find it on Chapters and dont really want to rely on Amazon for quick delivery because im want to mull over the book before I choose the dates, just in case the guide book has any suggestions on when to book (obviously midweek)

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 5:59 pm 

MacTire, you can buy the book online and have it delivered to your door. There are a few things in there that make it a worthwhile purchase. I don't think it is very expensive.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 8:16 pm 

mactire pm me i have did the bowron last year and it was a great trip. i have maps and the guide book that you can use.

spudly

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2011, 6:15 pm 

Cheers mate. PM sent
spudly wrote:
mactire pm me i have did the bowron last year and it was a great trip. i have maps and the guide book that you can use.

spudly

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 11:16 am 

I've done the Bowron several times, the last in early October 2009. As all have said, there is now way to avoid the Caribou River, and there are no rapids. That said, you need to be able to maneuver your canoe away from sweepers. Though parks staff do try to remove sweepers, they are not there every day. At least one party of very experienced paddlers I know of, had to line around a sweeper that nearly straddled the whole river. Be cautious and you'll be fine. If you go after September 30, you'll have fewer people and no fees, so many of the locals go in then.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 11:58 am 

Im actually booked in for the 12th of September. I dont mind being around if there are a few people on the circuit for my first time to be honest. It seems like they have it managed pretty well so its not overcrowded. I wouldnt mind having a chat with one or 2 canoeists at campsites. Get some ideas for other trips or just compare gear.

Is there any other section that someone should be cautious over? I see Isaac river mentioned once or twice on websites.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 12:20 pm 

The chute at Issac doesn't need to be run, you can carry around it. You will have more than a few people you will meet. I would suggest getting to campsites early, to make sure you have them. The larger camps, such as at Una Lake, have lots of spots. The biggest issue aside from the Caribou River, is the lakes. I hate large lakes. Especially on mountain lakes, large waves can develop quickly. Stay close to shore. Large lakes do force you to be efficient with your paddle strokes. Paddler's box and torso rotation, feather your blades into the wind, etc. all help to keep fatigue down. Have a safe a fun trip.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 12:56 pm 

Cheers mate