It is currently December 16th, 2019, 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: December 19th, 2011, 1:46 am 

Hi,

I haven't been canoeing in years and i would love to introduce my fiancee to the experience....I've no experience canoeing in BC, so i'm looking for a recommendation to take my fiancee out for the first time. I've gone through many posts here and the trip adviser link as well (thank you).

What i'm looking for is:
- 2-3 night- 3-4 day river paddle (no white water), just a nice easy ride
- distance to location from vancouver up to 5 hr drive
- ideally, it would be great to find a place that has non-guided packages (that is rent canoe and pick up from end)

Anyhow, any advise/links would be greatly appreciated....

my plans are to rent a few times, see how my fiancee likes it, and if all goes well, jump in and get my own.....

Thanks for your time, really appreciate it.....

Jay Markowsky

Last edited by Barbara on December 19th, 2011, 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
moved to the BC Discussion & Resources forum

PostPosted: December 19th, 2011, 7:25 am 

If you post your location you have a better chance of someone replying...

PostPosted: December 19th, 2011, 11:26 pm 

I cannot think of a single river in the area which qualifies. they are either too short or too white.

It isn't considered windy here until there are whitecaps on the toilets.

PostPosted: December 20th, 2011, 12:31 am 

For what you're looking for I think the Thompson River fits the bill. Probably somewhere around Barriere.
You'll have proper rentals up in Blue River and possibly some river guiding or direction from a local outfitter.

For something a lot easier to execute and couple of options would be to rent from Western Canoe and Kayak in Abby. Great advice as to what boat may be the best for you and you could try them out locally.
Ask them to apply your rental towards your purchase. :D

Go for a gentle paddle down the Harrison River (if you can call it a river) maybe move up to the Vedder if you have moving water experience. River of Golden Dreams near Whistler for another step up for moving water.

For a nice secluded little lake trip head up to Nahatlatch in the canyon. Jones/Waleach is nice. Chehalis is nice too.
Go to all these in the off season.

Anyways, come up with a bombproof plan and spoil your fiancee so she'll be paddling for life.

Canoeheadted

PostPosted: December 20th, 2011, 3:49 pm 

All good suggestions CanoeHead but I think he was looking for a river to paddle for several days with a shuttle at the end. I suspect he wants camping, safety, close to Vancouver and no ripples to scare a newbie. I cannot think of a river near Van that satisfies all his requirements. There are many nice paddles in the area but his criteria seems a bit unrealistic. Mountain rivers seldom offer 3 days of class 1 paddling.

It isn't considered windy here until there are whitecaps on the toilets.

PostPosted: January 5th, 2012, 7:30 pm 

Hi guys...really appreciate the feedback...i've been asking around as well, and i guess the rivers/streams i had in saskatchewan i cannot expect to find out here....oh well, i'll just have to settle for these majestic mountains and oceans out here (jk)....but....i certainly don't mind taking on some adventure so i will look into your suggestions Ted (she likes a challenge as well so options are open)...many good tips....thank you...

jay

PostPosted: January 12th, 2012, 12:27 pm 

I would agree with Marv that the OP's requirements don't mesh with the rivers here in the NW. The Thompson, while a reasonable paddle for an experienced boater, is still Class 2, with one rapid at Heffley that can come up to Class 3. It is not a wilderness run by any stretch. Three days is also pretty short for most trips in the area. There are lots of day trips on lakes, slow rivers, or salt chuck, but they won't be wilderness. Lkae trips to consider would be the Sayward Forest canoe route on Vancouver Island, Moose Valley near 100 Mile House. Part of the Clearwater Azure Route or going in to Murtle Lake would be possibilities but having more time would be a plus. BC and western Canada have many great canoeing possibilities, but often require more driving. I would suggest you contact the Beaver Canoe Club or the Dogwood Canoe Club, and get involved through them. They are very helpful.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2012, 2:04 am 

Not much to add, what you remember from Sask, you won't find in BC, especially near Vancouver.

But here's the best way to give your fiance a taste of canoeing and find your way around what BC does have to offer:

http://beavercanoeclub.org/

Pat.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2012, 12:16 pm 

My introduction about 7 years ago to canoeing was on the Bowron Lakes. I had resisted my husband's attempts to get me out wilderness conoeing (silly girl!) but now I have been converted and it is me planning our multi-day wilderness paddle trips. The Bowron's may be further than you want to travel (about a 7 1/2 hour drive from Vancouver) but you really should consider it. And if you don't have time for the full circuit you could just paddle the west side. It's a wonderful place with great campsites (Pat's Point is one of my favorites) and you can rent all your gear right there.

Hope you are as successful as converting your fiancee as my husband was in converting me into a paddler!

Cheers!

Cheers!