It is currently December 6th, 2019, 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 28th, 2013, 2:29 pm 

Don't see that as an issue. You still have to obey a weight limit of 28 kg, No matter if there are two or three. With three you will have to limit your extras. I saw Europeans on the Yukon last year with three in a canoe. Two packs. For two weeks. They had one outfit and generally ate freeze dried and oatmeal.

I don't know if solos are available. You would have no worries if one were in a kayak or solo canoe.

We rented a 17' 6" canoe for our Yukon trip. It would have been tight but perhaps doable for three if we had not carried two chairs. You will be leaving that sort of thing behind.

PostPosted: March 6th, 2013, 5:53 pm 

I used Becker's the first time - rented canoe and cart.
Used Bear River this past summer - rented a cart.

Becker's seemed to be not as busy as 7 yrs ago - ie their restaurant was closed (this was middle of summer).
Bear River folks are very helpful. No complaints with either place but I did prefer the thinner wheeled cart from Beckers - it took up less space in the canoe, no trouble on the trails.

- Try not to speed through the first few lakes. Indianpoint and Issac are the most scenic with great campsites IMO. Fewer campsites on Lanezi and more people on the west side may mean sharing which is all part of the experience.
If you are tempted to use the cabins be aware that the mice are very "habituated"
ditto on bug spray!
Try to make the trip into Barkerville. If you're into history you could spend a whole day there

PostPosted: March 6th, 2013, 9:03 pm 

All these replies are most helpful!

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: March 6th, 2013, 9:11 pm 

mark m wrote:
- Try not to speed through the first few lakes. Indianpoint and Issac are the most scenic with great campsites IMO. Fewer campsites on Lanezi and more people on the west side may mean sharing which is all part of the experience.
If you are tempted to use the cabins be aware that the mice are very "habituated"
ditto on bug spray!
Try to make the trip into Barkerville. If you're into history you could spend a whole day there

All very excellent points, Mark. The first couple small lakes are beautiful, for sure. We used the cabins on our winter trip around just over half the nights, but in summer, I would not bother, the noise from the mice would drive me batty. And Barkerville is most definitely worth spending a day at, a great piece of history that should be seen.

Also make sure you have at least one good sized pack, or harness for a 60 liter barrel, for carrying most of your gear during the portage. Not only is it required to lessen the weight on the wheels, it is easier to roll over roots too. Most of the trails are very easy to roll the carts on though.

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: March 11th, 2013, 8:36 pm 

I will start a new thread, but anyone want to comment on good sites or things to do along the way? Due to the aforementioned good friend's condition, as well as a few kids, the pace will be "glacial" slow :D, at about 10km + a day. (Hey, you do what you have to do to travel with your friends ...this also explains my other posting about lots of time to read books).

Thanks for all the helpful hints!

I have posted questions about sites here: http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 04#p378304

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 10:52 am 

We had no problems with weight. We just loaded up the Ostrom pack until it was 60lb (and the ranger said a little give or take was fine). Making a list helped us get the same stuff in each pack each day.

All but the last 3 portages had been ravaged by the spring rain (the one around the cute was excellent but we did not need to use it), and it would have just been easier to carry everything some of the time. Had the boat slip off the trail coming out of trail around Cariboo Falls (think I have that right) and almost lost hubby in harness down the cliff. Everything okay though. That trail is narrow and steep at the end.

We found the wide wheels worked better than the narrow wheels on these trails, and saw a few boats with narrow wheels tipped over on the trails when caught in a rut or mud.

The McKenzie 18 was a great boat. The 3 of us were very comfortable, and had lots of freeboard despite having 60L, 30L barrels 2 canoe packs and Sandy’s hiking pack. It was heavy at 78lb, and not very nimble at the Chute (which was not even a class 1 when we were there), but certainly no problem on the swifts. The only thing we did not use was the tarp and the bug shelter ( total 12 lbs), bug jackets, bug hats, rain gear, and YEAH! I would rent this boat again in a heart beat.

he couple (Sandy and Dick) at Bear River Merchantile were very helpful (actually went above and beyon when they found out we only had 3 sets of clothes for a month, and I had not done laundry), and could not have been kinder, and their lifejackets were better than the ones available at Bowron Lake Lodge. Those that got Swift Boats from BLL turned down the life jackets and rented from BRM. We saw quite a few boats from Beckers that were undersized/overloaded, with perhaps 2” of freeboard if they were lucky. We were able to fit all of everyone’s barrels into the bins each night. Your information really helped! Meals at BRM were wonderful, beds past their prime, so we put our camp mattress on top, and their pillows should be tossed. the campers cabins were exactly as they said - campers cabins. Very clean bathrooms and tub/shower though, and lots of hot water.

BTW the museum at BRM is worth half a day in itself. Sandy was the park Naturalist, and has tonnnes of stuff and history, including slide shows, and lots of interesting aritfacts. This place is the closes we came to a grizzley bear (stuffed with a good story). The collection of poison bottles was really interesting, and we got a really nice topo map of the chain of lakes.

The shuttle bus (West Coast Nature Tours) were prompt, polite, and arranged a great tour for us on the way out. We loved Barkerville (could have spent several days there) and visited a historical cemetery and Cottonwood House as well as a drive through tour of Wells.
Details here:http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=41101&p=384341#p384341

Last edited by cheryl on August 13th, 2013, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 5:08 pm 

cheryl wrote:
he couple (Sandy and Dick) at Bear Mountain River were very helpful

They are great folk, aren't they. We have supped with them a couple times when there in the winter. Great home made meal, for a real decent price. Lots of neat artifacts there to check out, and their knowledge of the area is vast. I have only been to Bowron 4 times, and even when we didn't need their services, we still stopped to talk to them.

Is Gumboot (their dog) still around? A friendly fellow, he is. :)

"Paddle faster, I hear banjos!"

PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 7:07 pm 

Forgot to mention that they do not count your first aid kit, tarp, rope, as well as paddles, bailer, painters lifejackets as part of the 60lb.