It is currently July 23rd, 2019, 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: May 20th, 2013, 3:39 pm 

I'm considering a trip out to BC in the future (perhaps but not likely this summer) to kayak the Nechako Reservoir loop, i.e. the series of lakes that used to be Whitesail, Eutsuk, Telachuk, etc. However, I'll be coming from Washington DC, USA and if I'm going to pull this off, I'll most likely have to fly out and rent a kayak somehow (and rent a car to drive the round trip). I haven't started research in earnest, so before I do I thought I'd ask the group about possible options.

My thinking so far: International flights being far more expensive, I expect I'd save some cash if I flew to Seattle, rented the car there, then drove across the border. Typically I paddle my 17-foot Prijon Seayak on long trips, so I'd want to get a boat as similar in size and handling as possible.

Things I'm wondering at this point:

-Where might I rent a boat that would suit me? Might it be better to just buy one and see if I could talk the outfitter into buying it back after I'm finished minus a few hundred dollars? (I figure this would be the best plan, though I haven't looked into taking my Seayak with me on the plane as I assume it would be exorbitantly expensive.)
-Anybody know about the shore of the reservoir, both in Tweedsmuir Park and elsewhere? As the level varies by several feet over the year, I expect there would be some empty shoreline in most areas. Is that correct or not?
-Any issues with just camping wherever?
-The ferry across Francois Lake ... I assume it's still operational based on this site but does anyone know if there are issues I should worry about?
-On that note, how are the roads after the ferry crossing to the north end of the loop? Driveable in a non-4WD car?
-Best time of the season to go?

Thanks!

PostPosted: May 21st, 2013, 12:35 pm 

Smithers is likely the closest location to rent a sea kayak, also has an airport with connections to Vancouver and major car rental outfits. Prince George may have rentals, and likely has cheaper flights with not that much more driving.

There are bus shuttles between Seattle and Vancouver if you want to fly both but skip international, no idea about cost savings.

Aquabatics in Smithers has rentals: http://aquabatics.drupalgardens.com/

Francios Lk ferry is fully operational, no worries. Roads to N. end of route are very good, no problem for 2wd.

Water levels in Park will vary by natural cycles, water levels in dam affected portions will vary by how much is being spilled. Canoe head Ted in Burns Lake, often on this site likely has better local knowledge on shorelines and camping and how to water level guages. I expect the Park has established campsites, and there is some private property on Ootsa but I would not expect problems with finding campsites.

Enjoy,
Aaron from Smithers.

PostPosted: May 22nd, 2013, 2:01 am 

This loop is one of our future holidays for sure.
We're heading in for one week this summer.

We have a Necky Narpa kayak (or canoes too!) for renting out. PM if interested.
The shoreline is OK for camping. Depending on water levels there can be a lot of mud.
You can always find something. Once in the park, there's no problem finding great spots.
No issues camping anywhere.
Ferry runs for about 18hrs out of the day. You can always drive around in close to the same time.
Roads are 2wd friendly.
Best time would be later in the season. No bugs, warmer, and beaches showing with the lower water.

Happy planning.