It is currently December 6th, 2019, 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: January 4th, 2014, 6:45 pm 

Pretty excited. A group of friends and I have reserved a start time on the Bowron Canoe Circuit for 2014. Will be six of us in two kayaks and two canoes paddling from end of August into first week of September. Have read some good forum threads on this trip and cannot wait to get out. Looking forward to hearing any words of advice you may want to offer.

PostPosted: January 4th, 2014, 9:04 pm 

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... lit=bowron

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 05&t=40198

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 20&t=41061

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 20&t=41034

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 20&t=41033

We did it last year - ask away or PM me if you like and the answers are above. I am guessing from your location you will be driving, but don't put off reading all of the posts - there are lots of tidbits there.

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: January 4th, 2014, 9:11 pm 

Take as much time as you can.
You're gonna love it.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2014, 2:32 pm 

Was looking at maps to see if there is an alternative access to Bowron Prov Park rather than coming in from the west. Seems to me that if you are coming from the East on Hwy 16, it could almost be feasible to use the forestry roads to head south from Hwy 16 near Purden Lake, rather than going all the way through Quesnel and Barkerville? Does anybody know if this driving route is feasible?

PostPosted: January 6th, 2014, 7:29 pm 

I'm quite sure that it's not doable.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2014, 10:38 pm 

We did ask that question last year, and someone answered in one of the posts that they were logging roads, and very rough - need a heavy duty truck to get through. I would check first.

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 12:39 am 

Ice breaker, it is possible, but I wouldn't advise it. Some of the roads are very rough and will require fording some streams. It would be an adventure with the right kind of vehicle, but it wouldn't save you any time. I almost came in from the south one year and would have ended up at Judge Begbie's Courthouse in Barkerville if not for a very swollen stream.

PostPosted: January 16th, 2014, 10:11 pm 

Yea, I saw some old discussions online about a possible upgrade to the Purden Lake access road, but it sounds like the BC government never followed through with it. We will access Bowron through the conventional access road.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2014, 2:31 pm 

Just got back from nearly a full week of wilderness camping on the Bowron Lakes canoe circuit in BC. Did the 120 km circuit in five days, four of which were in nearly continuous heavy rain. Took an unexpected swim in the one rapid on the circuit (the "chute") on the day with the heaviest rain. Had to dry out a pile of stuff before continuing on. Packed canoes and gear over about 11 km of portages. My home built portage cart broke down several times and tore up the bottom of my canoe. I tore a biceps muscle paddling hard on a windy lake on the last day. My buddy over estimated the amount of food we needed and we ended up carrying what seemed like about 40 lb of extra food weight around the entire circuit. Biggest animal we saw on the circuit was a squirrel but we did see a moose and three black bear on the way out. Met some wonderful people from all around the world. Could not see much of the scenery until the last day because of the rain. Last day was an awesome paddle through glass like water and wonderful scenery. My canoe trailer broke a weld on the 1000 km trip home but we managed to limp in without mishap. Overall we Had a great trip. Cannot wait to do this trip again.

PostPosted: September 4th, 2014, 4:50 pm 

:clap:

Awesome attitude for an awesome trip!

PostPosted: September 4th, 2014, 8:31 pm 

Yes great attitude. My first trip on the Bowron Circuit was when I was sixteen in 1971. It was June, and it rained everyday and the last day on Bowron Lake we battled high winds and 3 foot waves. I was a great and memorable trip and I got me started on canoe tripping.