It is currently December 8th, 2019, 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 12th, 2013, 11:47 am 

Have had some very good help so far using the forums, but wanted to separate out the topic from the ones I "hijacked". Sorry for the rambling....

We are 3 groups flying in from all over and meeting in Quisnel on July14. Plan is to go in to the Bowron orientation at noon on July 16, and then come out on July 25. Son and I will be exhausted after 2 days in the Calgary area and 8 days with the Scouts at the Canadian Jamboree.

The shuttle has been arranged for the 15th, and we will stay at Bear River Mercantile.

It would be great if anyone would like to recommend their favourite campsites, within the limits of what we can travel in a day (4 canoes, 10 people. One of the families has an 8 year old that likes to travel slow so they can enjoy all that nature has to stop and view, another canoe has an elderly member with Parkinson that may need a lot of help on the water and with the portages) so give or take about 10 km a day. We all registered separately (not deliberate, 2 canoes registered, and then each of those canoes mentioned to another canoe that they were going and "hey, why don't ya come along!" First time we have EVER made up our minds in 30 seconds - usually we research and doddle along for months)

For us this is a once in a lifetime trip, so we want to make the most of it!

We did not know the rules about numbers of capers camping together (2 - 3 man tents, and 2-4 man) tents) when we registered higgldy piggldy, but are prepared to camp on different sites that may be spread out so that we follow the rules. Each family (3 units) will be self sufficient.

So far we have made note that Una lake is a must, and the first 2 lakes (Kibbee and Indian point) should be enjoyed.

Any and all suggestions considered!:)

BTW, due to shuttle costs, we finally decided to come out on the same day, stay at BRM again, and then take the West Coast Nature Tours shuttle that includes a tour of Barkerville (so exciting! Our son has already re-read "Mystery of the Old Stagecoach" that features Barkerville in that era-we love Canadian history), Cottonwood Historic (sic road) House and
on our way back we will make several stops along the Cariboo “Waggon” Road including Stanley, Blessing Grave, Lovers Leap and Mexican Hill. We hope to fly out that night so that we have 2 full days in the Vancouver area (not sure what we will do .... a city is a city after all), before flying home.

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: March 12th, 2013, 1:58 pm 

I can't give you any recommendations. However, a friend of mine here in K-W once paddled the Bowron Lakes, perhaps 10 years ago. He can't say enough about the route. He's been leaning on me to put it on my 'must paddle' list.

Have a great trip!

www.mikemonaghan.ca

PostPosted: March 12th, 2013, 3:13 pm 

15 Good. 22 OK. But 20 and 22 better? 32 no good. 33 Good but will be very popular. 39 Good/popular very buggy at times (adjacent swamp). 50 My favourite. Try paddling early to get camp you want and avoid wind. Canoeheadted has this route tattooed on his left buttock and perhaps he can chime in with some good advice but hopefully not a picture.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2013, 6:04 pm 

Picture might be interesting since I only have an online map to date http://randsco.com/_img/blog/0808/bowro ... po_map.gif and can't be sure of the numbers.....\i actually have not figured out how/where to buy a real map! :oops:

Present: Slip, Slap and Slop, hide from the sun! Past: Get some colour in those cheeks! Paddle Naked!

PostPosted: March 12th, 2013, 11:39 pm 

No tattoos here! :o

I would suggest paddling very early to avoid crowds and wind.
Stop by as many sites as possible and have a stretch and look around. It only takes minutes and when you see that beautiful site empty (or just about to be) you can stay there! Another great reason to start early.

We enjoy spending time at Sandy Lk. (37A,38,39)
Una and Rum lakes for what's been mentioned and lots of walking trails all around the campsite areas. (40,41,42)
The westernmost site on Lanezi is very nice. (37) Turner Creek (33,34) is group nice. Avoid 32,35,36.
For dawn and dusk wildlife Pat's Point (46,47,48) and the north end of Swan lk (50-54) is pretty hard to
beat.

Bring your VCS. :wink:
Bring a kite.
...and the boat is far from a pig. Nor is it a tub. It paddles just fine. We have friends that paddle and camp with a 20' Mackenzie. There's been six of them plus gear often.

Enjoy your planning.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 1:27 pm 

Cherl: Have done the Bowron cicuit twice and have only camped in great spots. On another topic, I live in Calgary and if you have the time I could put you and your son on the Bow River for a great float. Just bring your lunch, I have the rest of the gear and can do the shuttle.

Rob

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 7:18 pm 

Quote:
No tatoos here!

Well that's a relief. I was a little worried about the Bowron Lake Marsh.

Re: looking for a map. All you need is the piece of shite map you get at the orientation which is the same as what you downloaded online. You cannot get lost
on the Bowron. There is a beaten path. There are signs. There are channel markers. There are several hundred other people to follow or chase you. Don't waste your time and money on maps you don't need. I know it sounds weird, but hey, it's BC!

PostPosted: March 14th, 2013, 11:43 am 

I've never travelled with a group but with 10 people in mind consider:

#2 - most people blow past this one to get the 2 big portages out of the way - its a nice spot
also #6,7
avoid 3, 8, 9, 10 especially if the water is high. There will be alot of bugs
Lots to pick on Issac. At the south end is busy but its good. Good time to play in the chute and hike the river. The end of Issac River is also good; right near the falls.
Lanezi probably will be 34. 37 is nicer but its a long day from the Issac
Agree that 38, 39 on Sandy would be good.
Also anything on Una
West side is the busiest and you usually take what you can get 48 usually has lots of room
As you leave Swan it is very scenic and good opportunity for wildlife veiwing but I wouldn't recommend camping there. Its buggy almost all the time and they occassionally close the sites anyway due to bears.

Agree about the map. Just get the 1 from the park

What you can do is try to figure out when and where the groups are when you register and if you can keep track of where they are at. You aren't supposed to use the group sites but if they aren't around alot of people do. You probably don't want to register as a group because then you'll lose the flexibility of sites - they are supposed only use the group sites.

Don't get bullied by the groups - especially the guided ones. My first year we were on a NON-group site and this giant group shows up at 8pm and tells us (very rudely) they have it reserved and that we had to move. We didn't know any better and moved.
I think groups are OK but these guiding companies that are doing it for a profit should be banned IMO - they seem to think they deserve more access than everyone else. I've run into more than 1 company with this similar attitude and find it best to steer well clear of them (rant off).

Remember to take your time! Everytime I finish I always think I did it too fast

PostPosted: March 14th, 2013, 8:12 pm 

I guess I was considering if I should just number the map I have starting with the first site on the first lake. that would give me an idea for planning each day (take the route and divide by 9). Do they close or rotate sites very often?

I really appreciate everyone taking the time to help us out!

PostPosted: March 14th, 2013, 8:26 pm 

Sorry, I got distracted with the blizzard we have been having here..summer seems a long way away weather wise! Rob S, that is a very kind offer, and I will let you know if I survive the planning and packing stage!

PostPosted: March 15th, 2013, 7:33 am 

cheryl wrote:
I guess I was considering if I should just number the map I have starting with the first site on the first lake. !

That might not work. Some of the sites have been added after the numbering so you end up with 37 and 37a. If you go to the park website print off the 11X17 version on multiple pages and you should be able to see the numbers

blizzard you say? eeewwwwww...

PostPosted: March 17th, 2013, 1:07 pm 

Thanks for the tip. I found the map of which you speak. I had been using one that looked the same, but had no site numbers on it!

PostPosted: May 6th, 2013, 9:11 pm 

getting excited....anyone else have thoughts now that the forums are picking up? I have made careful note of what everyone has said.

PostPosted: May 7th, 2013, 9:13 am 

CCR members are almost certainly your best bet for useful Bowron information.
I have nothing to offer myself but I have posted links to TRs and other stuff at
http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 05&t=39416

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: August 13th, 2013, 9:58 am 

Bowron -WOW! We had perfect weather everyday but one, NO rain, and even though everyone had told us the bugs were bad this year, we had none-no bug jackets, no hats, only a little bit of repellant on the risk to repel the dopy flies that may or may not bite you. NO wind except light tail winds, and one day (the day we paddled 32 km from Lorenzi to Swan, and of course it was a wicked head wind late in the day). Sun all the time. I could spend a month paddling up and down Isaac. Loved the upper Cariboo R. and Isaac River. Had wonderful campsites each night, and only had to split our group of 10 up once on Isaac (we had not registered as a group). Swam every day in every lake. Met once bear twice on the same sight (site 6), and saw several moose – one of which held us up for 45 min on the Bowron R. He could not have cared less about us – and he finally laid down to take a knap. The last 3 poratages where lovely, but the others were all much rougher than expected due to the heavy rain they had had all spring. It would have been easier to carry all the gear than use the cart. The wide tire carts worked better than the ones from Becker’s with the narrow wheels.

We used the brand new dining shelters on Isaac (the one at the Chute – we did not stop at Wolverine Bay), Lorenzi, an at the end of Spectacle), and really did not see many people at all until Lorenzi.

We did not get to Una, but pushed on to Sandy in the old headwind of the trip. The reest of group did, but we had to be out a day earlier. They said that Una was full. We ended up with a layover day at Sandy at Pat's point :thumbup: When I find the maps, I will put in the site numbers.

Learned to keep an eye on outhouse location. If it wen: beach, site, outhouse mountain, you knew that you where going to get the smell as the air came down the mountain at night.

The McKenzie 18 was a great boat. The 3 of us were very comfortable, and had lots of freeboard despite having 60L, 30L barrels 2 canoe packs and Sandy’s hiking pack. It was heavy at 78lb, and not very nimble at the Chute (which was not even a class 1 when we were there). We ate all our food over the 10 days, so the barrels came home by Greyhound full of gear. The only thing we did not use was the tarp and the bug shelter ( total 12 lbs), bug jackets, bug hats, rain gear, and YEAH!

The couple (Sandy and Dick) at Bear Mountain River were very helpful, and could not have been kinder, and their lifejackets were better than the ones available at Bowron Lake Lodge. Those that got Swift Boats from BLL turned down the life jackets and rented from BRM. We saw quite a few boats from Beckers that were undersized/overloaded, with perhaps 2” of freeboard if they were lucky. We were able to fit all of everyone’s barrels into the bins each night. Your information really helped! Meals at BRM were wonderful, beds past their prime, so we put our camp mattress on top, and their pillows should be tossed. the campers cabins were exactly as they said - campers cabins. Very clean bathrooms and tub/shower though, and lots of hot water.
EDIT: June 2014 - NEW pillow top beds and pillows, and rooms repainted too - looks like heaven

BTW the museum at BRM is worth half a day in itself. Sandy was the park Naturalist, and has tonnnes of stuff and history, including slide shows, and lots of interesting aritfacts. This place is the closes we came to a grizzley bear (stuffed with a good story). The collection of poison bottles was really interesting, and we got a really nice topo map of the chain of lakes.

The shuttle bus (West Coast Nature Tours) were prompt, polite, and arranged a great tour for us on the way out. We loved Barkerville (could have spent several days there) and visited a historical cemetery and Cottonwood House as well as a drive through tour of Wells.

Details of Shuttle
Monday, July 15th : 1:00 pm Shuttle to Bear River Mercantile, Bowron Lake incl. pickup from Quesnel Airport the previous day at 8:00 pm

Friday July 26th, 2013: Gold Rush Explorer Tour - incl.Admission to Barkerville Historic Town, Cottonwood House and Sightseeing on Highway 26. Pickup at 9:00 am at BearRiver Mercantile, Bowron Lake. Arrive in Quesnel approx 5pm. Take back to Airport Sat. Morning 11:45. Total Cost for 10 people was $1150.00 including all taxes. That works out to 115$ each for all of this! Bus was a tour bus for 18, and airconditioned, with gear stored in sep. luggage area. Would highly recommend them.

Rob - I became so overwhelmed with details for the jamboree - I completely forgot about your kind offer. However, once we hit Calgary, I had thought of you and your family, and wondered if you and your home was okay? There are no words to describe the flooding damage..... :( We ended up with only time to go to the Canadian Olympic Hall of Fame (fabulous) and do a round of mini-golf. It was a 2 hour wait for a rental car. All the cars had be rented by Calgarians, and they had to bring in 60 new cars. People who had not confirmed (even if they had booked), did not get cars.

BTW, the Holiday Inn Express in Airdree is FANTASTIC - soft beds, good pillows, smells great, huge clean salt water pool and a very fast slide. I was more impressed by it, than the evening rain/hail/snow and parking lot flooding we had there, in Drumheller and Edmonton (never before had to wade up to my knees in icy water to get to a vehicle).

Last edited by cheryl on July 1st, 2014, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.