It is currently October 23rd, 2019, 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2014, 8:28 pm 

Hello everyone,

I'm currently bogged down in logistics, but would rather be on the water.

I want to paddle some portion, or ideally all of (save for the canyon), the Stikine River in Northern B.C. .

My current problem is that I am travelling solo and so charter flights are expensive, as are jet boats, and I cannot ferry a car to Telegraph Creek.

I have a few options:

-find a cheaper flight into Spatsizi to the headwaters
-pull out at highway, get to Dease Lake and hitch/hire a ride from someone to Telegraph Creek (thereby bypassing the canyon)
-jetboat from Wrangell to Telegraph creek (again, expensive for someone solo)
-find a friend, or new friend to go with
-leave car on coast, hitchhike all the way to telegraph creek (this isn't especially appealing), paddle back to car

Any advice or tips on how to make this trip happen would be appreciated. I don't mind spending a bit of money on a flight, but $1000 to hire a plane for myself is too much.

Thanks everyone!

P.S. - This may be my first post here, but I've appreciated gleaning resources from the site over the years.

I should also mention that I have extensive experience working/travelling alone in remote northern wilderness, though of course a solo trip always carries with it much more risk than multi-boat, and multi-person trips.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2014, 9:57 pm 

Best check out this thread
http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtop ... 05&t=42160

No need to fly into the Spatsizi; you can access it by road and a long hike.

Possible logistics:
Leave your car with the outfitter at Tatogga Lake, get driven to the start of the trail, get picked by the same outfitter at the highway and driven to Telegraph Creek. Paddle to Wrangell. Take the ferry to Prince Rupert. Store your stuff there. Get back to Tatogga Lake somehow. Drive home.

The upper Stikine part would be easier if there is an outfitter in Telegraph Creek.
There was one; I don't know the present situation.

A literal mind is a little mind. If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all. Good enough isn't.  None are so blind as those who choose not to see. (AJ)

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2014, 7:10 am 

In 2012 there wasn't much left in Telegraph Creek when we were there and certainly no outfitter.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2014, 8:20 am 

Did you meet the red haired German, Florian Mauer?
I worked with him in Calgary about 30 years ago.
He wanted "out", and chose Telegraph Creek.

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2014, 5:39 pm 

Thanks for the input so far.

The BC Railgrade road: has anyone heard reports of it in the past year or so? I'll give the outfitter at Tatogga Lake a call to see what information I can glean there.

From sat imagery it looks like you might be able to avoid the 5km portage by putting in on one of the creeks that crosses by the road - but maybe they're too small, and those who have been there know this.

It's possible that I may have someone who can drive my car from Telegraph Creek all the way back to Prince Rupert. If this works out I will likely "settle" for the lower half of the river, and poke around on the coast once I make it to the sea. The headwaters might have to wait for another time... though somehow it seems appropriate to do the upper half of a river before you go through the lower half.

I wouldn't mind trying to scoot down the coast to Ketchikan, and maybe, depending on how treacherous the situation is, continue to Prince Rupert. I've kayaked along the coast in that region on day trips only.

--- If none of this works, it'd be great to head north to something in the Peel, but I'm sure my little logistical challenges will follow me there, too!

PostPosted: August 1st, 2014, 8:01 pm 

The rail grade to get to the spatsizi trailhead was open last year but washed out again this spring. To date it hasn't been opened but that could change. At this time, the only access to the spatsizi and upper stikine is a floatplane. If you did get up the rail grade the portage is the only feasible way in. The creek is way too small and not worth it. Some people have used canoe carts on the spatsizi portage trail but it is rough. This is not the south and I would suspect that bc parks has not done much trail maintenance. You can give them a call in Smithers to confirm.

For the lower stikine if you want to boat back from wrangell to telegraph there is at least one outfit in wrangell who shuttles boats. I have friends who completed the lower stikine two weeks ago and it was fabulous. They started and ended in telegraph.

Northern bc is remote. Logistics are poor. That keeps it special. Good luck.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2014, 10:44 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

Quote:
It's possible that I may have someone who can drive my car from Telegraph Creek all the way back to Prince Rupert. If this works out I will likely "settle" for the lower half of the river, and poke around on the coast once I make it to the sea.

If you do have time to poke around on the coast after the Lower Stikine, I would highly recommend paddling up to Le Conte Glacier Bay. We took a few extra days after paddling the whole Stikine (not the canyon) & paddled up there, camped & then paddled in the fjord as far as we could.....& then down to Wrangell. it was phenomenal!

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2014, 11:48 pm 

I paddled the upper and lower stikine in 2008. we flew from toronto to Whitehorse, from there shadow lake expeditions (may now be called Youkon Wilderness Expeditions) rented us canoes and gave us a drive to Dease lake BC (8 hours) From cease lake we flew into Happy Lake and paddled back to the cassia highway which is a safe distance up river from the canyon. Then we were picked up by someone from Stikine River song in Telegraph creek. a couple years later the owners of Stikine River song were selling their business. They operated out of the old Hudson's Bay company building. Then we paddled the lower river and out to the town of Wrangell AK on Wrangell Is. and checked in with customs. Then we sailed the inside passage on the ferry to Skagway AK where charlie from Shadow Lake Expeditions picked us up and drove us back to Whitehorse for our flight home. Great trip!! I wrote an article on it called Paddling the Upper Stikine River in Real Fishing Magazine. which you can find on line.