It is currently October 23rd, 2019, 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2018, 1:48 pm 

Well I officially hung up my boat for the season yesterday, which means it’s time to start planning/day dreaming about next years’ trips.

My brother and I paddled the Dease this summer in July and really enjoyed the pace (much of our previous paddling has been on larger volume rivers in Northern Alberta etc), wildlife, excellent fishing and overall beauty of the area (our first time in Northern BC and YT), we both agree that we want to do another trip in Northern BC/YT next summer.

While I own both of Laurel Archer’s books, I’m having a difficult time narrowing in on a trip (there are just so many great option in the area), so I thought I’d throw something on here in hopes of soliciting some recommendations.

While at this point we are really still open to anything, some specifics we would be looking for would be; another small to moderate volume river(s), something that could be paddled in 7-12 days (the Dease took us 5 days, that was with lots of fishing time etc), and good fishing. While we are experienced Trippers we are still cutting our teeth in your beautiful part of the world so would not be looking for anything too intense for white water (up to class 3 or so). We enjoyed the few features on the Dease and while we would be prepared to take on a bit more, would ideally be looking for something of a similar nature. Ideally we’d be looking for something with a Shuttle/Drive in/Drive out option. Although I have to admit I have never really researched the costs of Fly in/Paddle out trips in the North. I realize it would depend on the trip but if anyone has any advice/ball park figures on this it would be greatly appreciated as well.

I know this is a terribly broad post, but figured that lots of you, like me, will likely soon be transitioning for the season from actual paddling to thinking about paddling! Any advice and/or recommendations would be much appreciated!

Cheers!

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2018, 3:19 pm 

If you're up for some whitewater, the Hess and Stewart Rivers in the Yukon are a nice fly in-paddle out trip. If you start at Porter Puddle in the headwaters, at high water there's definitely some Class IV in the Keele Peak area, so if you don't want to exceed Class III you could investigate what that section is like at lower water.

PostPosted: December 25th, 2018, 8:42 pm 

Two trips that are just a little harder than the Dease are the spatsizi and big salmon. Both are excellent. The spatsizin is a fly in only so very few people paddle it anymore. The big salmon is busier but like the decade you can put in and take out at a highway.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2018, 10:26 pm 

Spatsizi can be portaged into - 5km one way. The Stikine is a fly-in
and they combine to make the Stikine. There is a book covering both
by J. Voss. Both very worthwhile. The fly into the Stikine isn't too expensive,
and you can fly into the Spatsizi as well (missing a portion of the upper part
that is walked into).

PostPosted: August 25th, 2019, 12:24 pm 

The Spatsizi can't be portaged into anymore as the bridge washed out about ten years ago. You can fly in to a small lake on RL downstream from the portage put in. However, it is a lake so small, some pilots won't do it.