It is currently May 21st, 2019, 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: February 16th, 2019, 10:52 pm 

Hello,

Can someone recommend a lake or two that is free to paddle/portage into with walleye in it?

Looking for a simple trip to take my wife on. She enjoys shorter trips and loves to fish. We have done McCrae lake lots and now are looking for something a bit different. This is for the May long weekend. We live in Chatham and are hoping to keep the trip south of Sudbury or not to far passed the Kawarthas.

Thanks

PostPosted: February 18th, 2019, 10:30 am 

mkrissak... the problem with recommending a good walleye lake in southern Ontario (and maybe why nobody has replied to this thread so far).. may be that walleye are being depleted in many places, with Georgian Bay and Lake Nipissing no longer providing the catch that used to exist. Walleye are slower-growing than pike or bass and since they taste good, they're often killed and eaten while competing and faster-growing pike and bass are released. Further north, catch is usually better.

Since you've been to the McRae lakes, have you tried the Moon river... there are walleye upstream from Moon Falls along with campsites. Most of the fishing pressure in motorboats should be below. Don't expect catch like in the glory days of the Moon, but the area is scenic and not difficult to access.

The largest walleye I've caught was in the Seguin river upstream from Parry Sound, nine pounds. Access can be from Hwy 124 along with several ports around rapids and a campsite further up. You'll probably see motorboats anchored below Mountain Chute at the hydro line, waiting for a walleye to hit.

The Seguin is a popular whitewater run at that time so you might see others. There is info in Hap Wilson's Wild Muskoka book IIRC., on the Seguin and the Moon.

I'm not going to say where I caught the nine-pounder since this is a public forum and all readers, including wild-eyed yahoos planning boombox bush parties for the traditional May two-four drunkfest... they all have access but if you're going there, let me know... good luck, and tell about your trip if you have the time.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2019, 9:09 pm 

Fish ON-Line is an excellent resource for this type of question.
https://www.gisapplication.lrc.gov.on.c ... cale=en-US

Just scroll down on the pop-up, hit accept, and then click Search By > Fish Species on the left, check Walleye, and zoom into your area of interest. Walleye lakes will be symbolized with a red icon.

Lots of crown land options in the Magnetawan River and surrounding area. Map here:
https://www.dropbox.com/home/Backcountry%20Maps