It is currently August 12th, 2020, 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: June 28th, 2020, 7:02 pm 

Farm Cr. was a breeze. Water levels were great and it took us 3-4 hours each way. Lots of switchbacks but overall a decent paddle.

Island L. had some decent sites but some were definitely well-used. Other than that, we did a short loop through Dutton and Wolf L. which didn't seem to be traveled much

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2020, 11:54 am 

There's hope for the John to Kelsie connection yet! Kevin Callan and his crew just attempted a clearing of the portage from the John side last week. It seems they got pretty far. I'm thinking it's about 7 or 8 hundred meters of lost trail from the Kelsie side that seems to be slowing everyone down. Here's his video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we3p0NSM8mE

PostPosted: July 21st, 2020, 3:50 pm 

Hi guys. I am not into canoeing much but have spent 50 years hunting in this area and extensive snowmobiling throughout the area.If you follow our hunting trail from Johns Lake it does not take you to Kelsie but stays north of there and some of you may have seen the rock piles and blazes.You have to go south of our line. If you refer back to Erhards map I would suggest starting a short distance south of the portage line out of Kelsie Lake through the marshy area. The map shows one pond but there are actually two. I would think the first one out of Kelsie could partly be navigated by canoe. It is only a short distance to the second pond which could be canoed down. When you are almost to the end of the pond on the north side there is a snowmobile trail to Johns Lake. It isn't marked but is well used in the winter by snowmobilers and Shane Stiles who has the trap shack on the end of Island Lake. There have been numerous trees cut over the years to maintain this trail and should be visible. When you get to a bald rock area on the trail bear to the north west and you will pick up the trail again. This leads to Johns Lake but comes out just south of the hill shown in Erhards picture. There are some logs at the shore so you could check it out and if not suitable landing just head north to the hill. The campfire spot at the hill is our lunch place during the hunt. You can also refer to this map as it gives you a good aerial view. www.wpsgn.ca I hope this may make the portage easier. Also please don't mark trails until you have the one you want as it confuses new hunters in the area. If you see Shane at his trapline shack stop and talk to him he would be glad to help you out.