It is currently May 31st, 2023, 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 29th, 2023, 8:06 pm 

Nothing to add. This is a pretty cool route you are building!

PostPosted: March 30th, 2023, 9:16 pm 

Two summers ago, my wife and I paddled into Scotia from Onaping, and from there went to Rome for a couple nights, then back to Scotia and up to Kalaco for a day. From Scotia to Kalaco was easy and I would guess continuing on from there all the way down the Wanapitei would be pretty straight forward. Maybe too easy depending on what you are looking for.

From Scotia to Rome was a lot harder ... wasn't too bad leaving Scotia, found an old portage without too much trouble on the south-side of the creek. Was easy going from there through the marshy part of the Laforest Creek, but that changes when the creek disappears into the trees on the satellite imagery. We found really old portages here and there, and other places didn't and just sort of made our own that I'm sure have already reverted back to bush.

We didn't plan on going further, but we did look for a trail out of Rome to Venetian in that south-east corner where you would expect it to be. I'm sure there must be something there, but it wasn't super obvious.

PostPosted: March 31st, 2023, 2:50 pm 

rane, thanks for the info. It's my opinion that this whole area has been explored and trails or portages into them. how dated or used who knows. The other thing is it's not a well documented area canoe trip wise, hoping to change that.

One of the reasons this route intrigues me so much is that east, west and north of Onaping Lk has a whole network of canoe routes but nothing well documented in the middle. It could probably be reclaimed with little effort.