It is currently February 23rd, 2024, 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: November 28th, 2023, 12:48 pm 

Hello,

Thanks for letting me join this website. I used it a bit a number of years ago, but haven’t even visited it since then. My bad!

Anyway, I’d welcome a discussion with any website members regarding trip planning for 2024.

My wife and I are planning a 5-7 day backcountry canoe trip after Labour Day weekend in September 2024. Post September long weekend is our favourite time of year to backcountry camp because most people with school aged children or people in post-secondary school are usually back at home or school.

We’re currently considering returning to Quetico for the third time because we’re planning to head to Winnipeg to visit friends after this trip.

However, I’d love to return to The Shoals Provincial Park area. We car camped there once in the summer of ‘94 and have fond memories of the area.

We live in Cambridge, Ontario.

We will both be 51 years old the time of this trip.

We have no kids or pets.

With the exception of two years, we have completed an annual backcountry canoe trip every year for the last 25 years.

We’ve paddled: Georgian Bay Islands National Park, Massassauga, Frontenac, Algonquin, French River, Killarney, Temagami area, Lake Superior, Quetico and Bon Echo (day trip).

Our current canoe is a very well used Swift Keewaydin 16’.

We have zero whitewater experience and are not interested in learning any by ourselves on such a trip.

We would require either a loop trip or an out and back trip, as we’d only have the one vehicle.

I typically use 4km/hr for our paddling and portaging time then add on 20 minutes per portage for putting in and out.

We’re typically off our site by 0900 and prefer to be back on a site around 1400 to enjoy the new site.

We will be travelling with our new 25’ travel trailer, which we will leave parked somewhere reasonably safe while we’re in the backcountry. Over the years we’ve found excellent trailer storage solutions for Temagami and Quetico.

Meanwhile, I will be starting to review all of our maps and books to see what I can come up with.

Appreciate any help for this non-tech savvy wannabe.

Cheers,
Ted

PostPosted: December 6th, 2023, 10:01 am 

Guess not

PostPosted: December 6th, 2023, 11:05 am 

Oh ye of little faith:

I realize no one has answered directly but have you looked at the following thread:
https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewto ... 04#p447159

Give that a whirl it might answer a number of questions you posed. I might suggest the Savant Lake area (on page 3) as that would get you most of the way to Winnipeg.

Cheers,
MEh (the stern half)

PostPosted: December 6th, 2023, 12:37 pm 

M Eh wrote:
Oh ye of little faith:

I realize no one has answered directly but have you looked at the following thread:
https://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewto ... 04#p447159

Give that a whirl it might answer a number of questions you posed. I might suggest the Savant Lake area (on page 3) as that would get you most of the way to Winnipeg.

Cheers,
MEh (the stern half)

Hey MEh, thank for taking the to reply!
I have read through that thread. Unfortunately I’ve missed any reference to the Savant Lake area. I’m unfamiliar with it.

Ted

PostPosted: December 6th, 2023, 3:48 pm 
CCR Site Administrator

Yes, have faith. I will suggest Turtle River Provincial Park as an alternative to Quetico since, it is also very near to Atikokan where you will still have access to numerous outfitting companies.