It is currently March 19th, 2024, 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: March 28th, 2006, 5:07 pm 

My wife and I are planning a trip to North Central Ontario sometime in early August.I was just looking at the topo maps wondering if there was any access to Path lake just north of the Halfway Lake PP boundary.
Also,we would like to hear more about Halfway Lake PP and if you would recommend short overnight trips.
Would you recommend the Chrismar map of Halfway Lake PP?
Your help is appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2006, 6:11 pm 

I have been to Path and Upper Path Lakes on several occasions - Path Lake used to be one of my favorite winter camping spots.
Scenic lakes, nice campsites, not too many cottages (only two on Path Lake that I can remember)
There is a decent access road directly to the lake off of hwy 144 - there is a large parking area and a sign on the highway saying "Path Lake". You can leave your car in the parking area and walk in, or if you're driving a truck or SUV, you should have no trouble getting almost right to Path Lake, where there is another large clearing/parking area close to the lake.
The last time I was in there (8 or 9 years ago) the road was in good enough condition to drive a two wheel drive truck without any major concern.

MicMac

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2006, 6:26 pm 

Interesting, Mike! as far as you know, is Path creek paddleable down to the Spanish? It would be nice, and I think in the old logging days, that was a route. But I suppose that the clear-cutting of the last decades made the creek dry up....

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2006, 6:48 pm 

I've never heard of anyone paddling Path Creek - just lake tripping in that area - through Path, Upper Path, Upper and Lower Green.
Erhard, now you've got me thinking; you know I'm always up for a challenge...
I'm going to look at my maps...

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2006, 7:00 pm 

I have doubts because I don't recall any decent water entering the Spanish just below Sheahan - where the Path Creek comes in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 10:32 am 

MicMac,
We'll get someone to drop us off at Path Lake.
We are looking forwards of canoeing around Upper Path, Path lake, Upper and Lower Green. Nice to know there are nice campsites.
I was checking out Path lake on Google Earth. The satelite photos show lots of trees..no clearcut.
Just south of there, I could see the damage of the tornado that ripped through Halfway Lake.
Thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 10:50 am 

PMDun wrote:
I was checking out Path lake on Google Earth. The satelite photos show lots of trees..no clearcut.

You'll be fine at the lake itself, I'd hope.
You gotta go further down the creek, just west of the park. Large areas are cut there, and the photo is probably 5 years old. They've proceeded to cut in that area since then, if I recall right....

PS: strike that first comment. Go to http://carto.domtar.com/website/enssppv/arcims.htm and zoom in on Path Lake. They are cutting the north-east shore this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29th, 2006, 11:01 am 

Erhard,
We'll still give it a try.
Just hope it hasn't been clear cutted.
If so, we'll head over to Halfway Lake PP.
Thanks for the heads up!

PostPosted: March 29th, 2021, 12:15 pm 

Does anyone have any up dated information on this lake and area? We are looking at this area for a short trip later this summer.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2021, 12:48 pm 

I've been back there on 2 winter trips now. The information in this thread still stands. Park at the lot off the highway and portage in. You can skip a bit of paddling and portaging by driving a 4x4 to the clearing near path lake. I've gone as far as the Green Lakes. I think there may be a summer site on Upper Green too.

My Backcountry Website: www.explorethebackcountry.com