It is currently March 19th, 2024, 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2006, 5:07 pm 

We're doing a short trip from Bisco to Pog mid September. We're purchasing our tickets in advance along with canoe 'tickets'.
Should I purchase a ticket for Casey (woof, woof) or just see if they'll let him on for a free ride sans la cage. If I have to buy a 'ticket' for my pal it's going to be $40 both ways. Cheap aren't I?
I don't want to jeopardize getting him on the train if a ticket is required to be purchased in Sudbury, but non the less, I don't really don't want to spend $80 either.
A crate is another issue. I will be prepared to crate him if need be. Obviously this will mean carrying the crate over any portages, but I don't see that as being the end of the world, just an inconvience.
Your comments based on experience would be appreciated.
As always, thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2006, 5:39 pm 

I took my dog once for a canoe trip using Via Rail, and the lady at the booth didn't want to have my dog in the car without the crate (I drove all the way from toronto to La tuque (Qc), so I didn't bother getting our crate !!). I argue with her that on my way back, there is no way I would carry a crate with me on a canoe trip to get my dog in the car :lol: Anyway, without ticket, no trip. Finally she agreed to "lease" a crate to us for the way in. When we caught the train at the end of the trip, I just used a cord and "leashed" the dog to the canoe; the driver and employees were just fine with it. Figure out :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2006, 9:34 am 

Rick,

You will have no problem taking your dog without a crate. We returned a couple of weeks ago on the train. He would be fine tied up in the car if you are both comfortable with that or just hang out with him. I would suggest that you stay with him at all the stops along the way.

Have a good trip
Neil

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2006, 9:41 am 

... we paid for Archie, but I don't think it was $80, I will ask my better half.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2006, 10:37 am 

I paid for my pooch to ride the train... I think it was $16, and the whole crate thing was never mentioned. We just hung out in the baggage compartment (which is more fun than the passenger compartment anyhow)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 5th, 2006, 10:46 am 

We paid $40 each way.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2021, 5:04 pm 

I'm wondering if anyone has experience bringing dogs on the bud car to Sinker Creek on the Spanish. I'm reading that things have gotten much stricter. Curious if anyone has any recent experience?

PostPosted: April 27th, 2021, 7:36 pm 

Whoa resurrection of a 15-year-old thread... nice!

Maybe call the Sudbury station (talking with the central Via office makes me think they may be a bit removed from the front line).

We'll be going up June 19th. I can ask if you are still interested.